• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Network ATSC Tuner

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
I'm finally getting the motivation to put a nice Home theater together. One requirement is a projector. Most projectors don't have TV tuners. I have experience with PCI based Pinnacle tuners and I have a HDHomerun-CC Prime, but that is cable based, and we dont have cable.

Please give me your experiences with newer ATSC network tuners.

Two that stand out are SiliconDust Flex 4k and Tablo Dual HDMI.

Thanks for your replies!

I have the SiliconDust Flex 4k that I access via Plex and it works great. You can point your browser to it and watch things off of it directly but thats not really how its meant to be used.

Processor Xeon x5650
Cooling Fans
Storage small ssd
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
I have the SiliconDust Flex 4k that I access via Plex and it works great. You can point your browser to it and watch things off of it directly but thats not really how its meant to be used.
How is (are) the tuner(s) compared to TV-included tuners you have used? I have had tuners that could pull in signals with a wet noodle, and others that needed perfect conditions...

How is (are) the tuner(s) compared to TV-included tuners you have used? I have had tuners that could pull in signals with a wet noodle, and others that needed perfect conditions...
Not sure, never used the tuner on my TV. I think I would have to make a longer cable to go from my TV to the antenna. Right now I have the SiliconDust and the antenna (which is an indoor / outdoor) sitting on an end table in the corner so I can test this still before I move the antenna outside.

Processor Xeon x5650
Cooling Fans
Storage small ssd
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Right on. Here's a bit of advice: use/place an antenna where the wind won't move it around. To see what I'm talking about, while watching a channel, giggle the antenna to see if the signal gets interrupted. The time required to recover the decoding is an indication of a good system.