• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Network Battle! Powerline 1200 vs. Powerline 500 vs. Wireless N vs. Wireless AC vs. Gigabit Ethernet

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Networks are everywhere in our lives at this point. The average home in the US has 5.7 internet connected devices, and that number is only increasing. There are Cell phones, media streaming devices like Chromecast or Amazon Fire devices, and of course computers. All of these devices are connected to your home network through some type of connection. Today I set out to test some of the popular networking methods available today and how they might affect the tasks we perform. For this test I'll be looking at various ways to connect a desktop computer to your network. Some of this will apply to laptops too. However, because mobility is usually key for laptops, and you'll almost always be using the internal card provided with the laptop, you'll probably just use the best wireless version you can.

Before we begin I'd like to address a few things that everyone should know whenever we are talking about networking. That is the difference between Mbps and MBps. Just capitalizing that one letter does make a big difference. Mbps stands for Megabits-per-second. MBps stands for MegaBytes-per-second. There are 8 bits in a byte, so Mbps will be 8 times MBps. So to convert MBps into Mbps you multiple the MBps number by 8. Also, Mbps and Mb/s are the same thing. The / stands for "per" just like the p. Finally, the M should always be capitalized. Writing mbps or Mbps does not change anything when talking about networking. I'm going to try to stay as consistent as I can through this and using Mbps as much as I can. However, I may use MBps every one in a while during the write up, all the results will use Mbps though.

Lets look at the contenders as well as my testing setup before we get into the numbers.

First, my testing setup.

The file server use in the testing as well as the wireless router are located in the basement of my home. The server is wired to the router with Gigabit Ethernet. They are in the north east corner of the basement. The computer I'm using to run the network tests is located on the ground floor of my home, in the south west corner. The server has a set of 4 WD Red 3TB drives in RAID5 on a Highpoint RAID controller. The RAID5 array is capable of over 150MBps sustained reads and writes, which is more than enough to saturate a Gigabit Ethernet connection. The computer I'm using has a 1TB 7200RPM Seagate SSHD. Before it is said, I know the single hard drive might likely be a bottleneck for some of the tests, but it is all I had available. Plus, you'll see it is fast enough to get the point across.

The router is an ASUS RT-AC66U running Shibby TomatoUSB firmware. It is a simultaneous dual-band Wireless AC1750 rated router with Gigabit Ethernet ports. The router is connected to my Comcast internet connection that is rated for 105Mbps download and 25Mbps upload. My internet connection is very consistent, delivering over 100Mbps download and over 30Mbps almost all the time. The tests were performed in non-peak hours just to make sure.

Lets look at the contenders.

Wireless N 2.4GHz
Pretty much the standard networking we find now. In the last few years Wireless N 2.4GHz has come to replace Wireless G 2.4GHz, which was the standard for far too many years. Because Wireless G was the standard for so long there are still alot of devices around that only work with it. Wireless N 2.4GHz has some benefits, the main one being that it is backwards compatible with Wireless G. So wireless G devices can still connect to Wireless N 2.4GHz networks. And no, when a Wireless G device connects to a Wireless N network it does not force the entire network to run at Wireless G speeds. The down side to Wireless N 2.4GHz is that the 2.4GHz band can be very congested. Just in my area alone there are roughly 25 wireless networks using the 2.4GHz band that I can see from my house, there is not a single channel that doesn't have a wireless network running on it. This means that in my house there are 25 sources of interference on the 2.4GHz band. Plus bluetooth runs on 2.4GHz, a lot of wireless mice use 2.4GHz, microwaves put out 2.4GHz interference, etc.. Wireless N 2.4GHz is limited to a theoretical maximum of 600Mbps. To achieve this, however, there would need to be absolutely no interference, which would allow the network to run with 40MHz wide channels and you'd need a router and network card that both have 4 antennas. Each antenna gives 150Mbps when running at 40MHz channel width for a total of 600Mbps. This is almost never the case. Most consumer wireless cards only have 2 antennas and the network congestion forces 20MHz channel width. Each antenna running at 20Mhz channel width gives 72Mbps. This means in most cases Wireless N 2.4GHz will only give a theoretical maximum of 150Mbps. For this test I'll be using an Intel Mini-PCIe card that has two external antennas.

Wireless N 5.0GHz
This is Wireless N running on the 5.0GHz band, obviously. This is not backwards compatible with Wireless G but does offer other benefits. Just a tidbit of info, most people believe Wireless N was the first form of WiFi to use 5.0GHz. That isn't the case, the Wireless A standard actually uses the 5.0GHz band as well, and has been around forever. Wireless A is older than Wireless G actually. However, it is so rarely used it isn't worth really considering. The main benefit being that the 5.0GHz band is relatively unused compared to the 2.4GHz band. Using my area again, my network is the only network I can see on the 5.0GHz band. This lack of network congestion means that Wireless N 5.0GHz has a better chance of working at 40MHz. This gives Wireless N 5.0GHz with only 2 antennas a theoretical maximum of 300Mbps in most use cases. For this test I'll again be using an Intel Mini-PCIe card that has two external antennas.

Wireless AC 5.0GHz
Wireless AC is the new comer to the party in terms of wireless. It was released in 2014, and only uses the 5.0GHz band. The standard allows for up to 80MHz channel widths with up to 8 antennas. The 80MHz channel width allows for up to 433Mbps per antenna. Most consumer wireless AC routers have either 3 or 4 antennas. My ASUS RT-N66U has 3, which gives it a theoretical maximum speed of 1300Mbps. Most consumer AC wireless cards have either 2 or 3 antennas. This gives a theoretical maximum fo 866Mbps for 2 antennas and 1300Mbps for 3 antennas. I'm using the PCIe x1 TP-Link Archer AC1750 wireless card for my testing, which has 3 antennas.

Powerline 500Mbps
Powerline networking has been around for a over 10 years. In fact the first standard for home use was released way back in 2001. Though the maximum speed was very low. The first kits having theoretical maximum speeds of only 12Mbps. Though at the time that wasn't all that terrible. The standard home network was 100Mbps, and it wasn't uncommon to find 10Mbps switches...errr hubs...in use in homes. With the internet connections at the time these were more than sufficient to bring an internet connection to a computer. The biggest problems with the powerline adapter of this time was there wasn't a real standard that allowed adapters from different manufacturers to work together. This changed in 2005 when the first HomePlug AV standard was released. It was at this time that the theoretical maximum speed increased as well to 200Mbps. Which again for the time was fine as a lot of home networks were still 100Mbps. Though most adapters were 85Mbps, the 200Mbps adapters were rare and very expensive. It was again in 2010 that the standard speed was raised to 500Mbps, though some manufacturers advertise 600Mbps for some kits. This is probably when powerline kits started to become more widely used in the mainstream market. The manufacturers had all pretty much adopted the standard so adapters from different manufacturers could work together without hassle. The consumer market had forgotten the time before the standards were adopted. Now, the interesting thing about a lot of 500Mbps adapters is they only have 100Mbps ethernet ports. A lot of people say this is the manufacturers trying to rip you off, or because they know you'll never get 500Mbps. And yes, that is true, you won't get 500Mbps between two adapters. However, one large disadvantage of powerline networking is that the bandwidth is shared between all the adapters. So while two adapter might not get close to 500Mbps, when you add a 3rd or 4th adapter the 500Mbps limit makes it so that the extra adapters don't affect the first two adapter's connections nearly as much. In my experience with 4 adapters, adding the 3rd and 4th adapter had actually not real affect on the speeds I was getting between just two adapters. Even though 3 adapters were basically feeding off one that was plugged into my router and providing the connection to my internet and my server. For this test I'm using two Trendnet 500Mbps nano powerline adapters.

Powerline 1200Mbps
This is a new standard released very recently and it borrows some technology from wireless. The main technology borrowed is MIMO. MIMO is what allows wireless to use multiple antennas, it stands for Multiple-Input-Multiple-Output. In this case MIMO allows the powerline adapters to use more than one of the powerlines in your house. With the old standard, all the adapters in the home communicated on only one of the wires in your electrical system. These new 1200Mbps adapters use, I believe, two of the wires in your electrical system. This is supposed to provide better speeds. We'll see about that. For this test I'll be using two Netgear 1200Mbps powerline adapters.

Gigabit Ethernet
The good old directly wired 1000Mbps Ethernet connection. Been in the consumer market for a good 10+ years, be it rather expensive 10+ years ago. How expensive? My first 8-Port gigabit switch was a Linksys I bought in 2003, it cost over $200. But now gigabit Ethernet is cheap, and cables are cheap. The most expensive part can be the cost to run the wires through the walls to get them where they need to go. Because I don't have an Ethernet jack run to the room of the house the test computer is in, for this test I ran a 100ft Cat6 cable from my basement directly connected to my router, halfway accross the basement, up the stairs, and halfway across my first floor to the computer.(The wife found this amusing...)

Now for the part we've all been waiting for!

The Test Results.

Internet Connection Speeds
For this test I ran an internet speed test using www.testmy.net. I ran 3 tests on each connection and took the average of the 3 for the results.

Local File Transfers
For this test I transferred about 1GB of data off of my server, then transferred it back. There are 342 files in the transfer ranging in size from 9KB up to 512MB. I used a script that does this and at the end tells me the exact time taken and the speed of the transfer.

Ping
For this test I pinged the router 100 times and took the average of all the pings as well as the maximum ping. The reason I'm pinging the router and not a website is because we are only concerned with the latency added by the method used to connect to the router. The latency after the router out to the rest of the world you don't have any control over. The maximum ping is an important figure as well, especially for online gamers. Ping spikes are what cause perceivable lag. We've probably all experience playing on a server and everything seems fine, pings are fine, but suddenly ping jumps everything stutters and you end up dead. Ping spikes suck.

Conclusion

Well, this was interesting that is for sure. Before I go into the main conclusion I want to say this hasn't been sponsored by anyone. I paid for everything used in this article out of my own pocket.

Now, my thoughts. Obviously the old trusty Gigabit Ethernet is the way to go. But if that isn't available what you go with depends on what is important to you. If you are going for maximum bandwidth, like if you are doing a lot of file local file transfers or big downloads/uploads from the internet, then Wireless AC is clearly the way to go. The downsides here are cost and the high ping. For online gaming that high max ping will likely cause problems. Then, the router I have costs $150, but the entry cost for a decent AC1750 router starts at $100. Also, don't even bother with a router that doesn't have external antennas, like the Linksys EA6500. The poor signal quality caused by the internal antennas means you're likely never going to get any decent connection speed, even if you are using Wireless AC. Then the network card is another $70. So a decent Wireless AC setup can easily cost $200 or more.

So, lets say that cost is beyond what you are willing to pay, what next? I'm going to say it right now, the Powerline 1200 is completely not worth it. The very slight file transfer speed does not warrant more than double the price. If you live in any kind of urban environment Wireless N 2.4GHz is out of the question as well. I'm almost positive those super low file transfer speeds and internet speed are because of the interference caused by all the other 2.4GHz networks in my area. So, you're looking at Wireless N 5.0 or Powerline 500Mbps.

Well, again the first think I look at is price. A decent Wireless N router with two external antennas can be had for $40 and a dual-antenna PCI-E Wireless N 5.0GHz network card can be had for $25. Though a lot of motherboards are coming with Wireless N network cards included. The Powerline 500Mbps kit costs $40. There is a good chance you'll be buying a router anyway, and the minimum you'll want to spend is $40. So the Wireless N 5.0GHz solution may be cheaper. If you already have a router though, then Powerline 500Mbps would be cheaper.

However, cost might not be a factor for you anyway if you plan to play online games. Again, high maximum pings plague Wireless N 5.0GHz. And could cause problems with online games. So you may want to go with Powerline 500Mbps no matter what.

In the end, considering all the factors, Powerline 500Mbps comes out the winner here if Gigabit Ethernet isn't possible. Cost is low, but performance is pretty equal to Wireless N 5.0GHz. However, one place it excels is pings. I hear people say that Wireless AC makes Powerline obsolete. And in part that is true for file transfers and if cost isn't a concern. However, even Wireless AC has ping issues. Latency has always been an issue with wireless, and Wireless AC hasn't improved any here.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Powerline should be better for gaming than wireless...whodathunkit? It looks like powerline has come a long way. 4-pair is still the undisputed champion though.

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Nice write up and review newtekie1.

Just confirmed what I have been using on my home network.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Powerline should be better for gaming than wireless...whodathunkit?
You'd be surprised at the number of times I've seen or heard people say the Wireless AC, or even Wireless N, is better than Powerline for gaming. They seem to think Powerline was only better than Wireless G, and once N came along it just blew away Powerline networking.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
It would seem that powerline can match 802.11n tit-for-tat so that's a misconception. Only 802.11ac can thoroughly trounce powerline but...that max latency. Playing a shooter, that 164ms spike can be life or death. I think the message I take away from this is that gaming systems need to be wired be it CAT5+ or powerline. That especially goes for consoles too. I bet a lot of gamers don't realize that their wireless connection may be ruining their game.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
And the thing with those max pings, and I meant to put this in the write-up, was that it wasn't like it was just one ping that was way up there. The test I ran was a script that copied the data from the server, deleted the data on the server, then copied it back to the server, deleted it from the client computer, and then did the ping test. It wrote all the results to a log file, so I could see the 100 ping request in the log. What would happen is the ping test would be moving along like normal, with the low pings close to the average, and then there would just be 3 high pings in a row. So it would go:

That is a death in an online shooter right there.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
As someone who tested all the same networking gear, i just wanted to say you have my sympathies for fighting with all this crap to get consistent results XD

powerline/homeplug is a freaking nightmare.

your results differ from mine a little bit, and could be due to local interference - for me homeplug has higher pings and packet loss than anything else (bi-directional transfer = huge packet loss, so things like torrents were not possible on 500Mb powerline adaptors) and 5GHz N/AC have the same 1-2ms ping for me under all testing.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I very much enjoyed this write up. In your other thread you said this was the best powerline adapter, so I await advances in this tech.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
As someone who tested all the same networking gear, i just wanted to say you have my sympathies for fighting with all this crap to get consistent results XD

powerline/homeplug is a freaking nightmare.

your results differ from mine a little bit, and could be due to local interference - for me homeplug has higher pings and packet loss than anything else (bi-directional transfer = huge packet loss, so things like torrents were not possible on 500Mb powerline adaptors) and 5GHz N/AC have the same 1-2ms ping for me under all testing.

That is part of the problem with any test like this. Powerline and WiFi are very unpredictable. Wifi is affected by so much. The ping spikes could have very well been caused by my fat butt walking around while the test was running. Wifi radio waves are absorbed by water, so a large sack of water moving around could be enough to throw things off.

At the same time, Powerline depends greatly on the quality of the wiring in the house. My house is right at 10 year old, so the wiring is pretty good. I also took the extra step when the house was being built to have all the wiring ran through metal conduit, because hammering a nail into an electrical wire is not fun, I've done it. But an older house with older wiring might have worse results with Powerline. The good thing is, at $40 for a pair of adapters, it is rather inexpensive to test out and see if Powerline works for you. And if you are a Amazon Prime or Newegg Premier member if it doesn't work out you can just send it back and you're out nothing.

I very much enjoyed this write up. In your other thread you said this was the best powerline adapter, so I await advances in this tech.

In theory, with the MIMO tech, the Powerline 1200 should be better. I anticipated it being better before due to the better technology, but now that I've tested it, it just isn't.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I'm sure power line depends a lot on the electrical layout of the house too. If the two are on the same circuit, performance should be excellent. If they are on separate breakers, an across the room run of 10 feet suddenly turns into 50. Out of curiosity, were these tests conducted on the same circuit?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Out of curiosity, were these tests conducted on the same circuit?

No. The one adapter is in the basement, which is on its own breaker, and the other is in my living room which has its own breaker. For the powerline adapters to be on the same circuit in my home they'd have to be in the same room as each room has its own circuit, and if that was the case I'd just run an ethernet cable.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
surprised your AC1750 didn't go as high as the Meraki MR34's 1750+1200 client adapter : http://remixedcat.blogspot.com/2015/02/cisco-meraki-mr34-review.html or the AC1200 Aruba IAP225: http://remixedcat.blogspot.com/2014/06/aruba-ap225-review.html

also how many other APs are around your environment?

Nothing can beat an .11AC Aruba at the top end. In all my wireless testing I found nothing that could be them on sheer throughput speeds :D
Sadly they are twice the price of everything else.

EDIT: I'm actually using a Ruckus R500 AC AP at home (they sent me one for free and didn't want it back). ÂŁ400 AP for free FTW.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Them and Meraki smoked everything else in speed. Although Xirrus has em beat featurewize!

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
very nice report. will have to dig thru in detail later. /tag.

thanks

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
You'd be surprised at the number of times I've seen or heard people say the Wireless AC, or even Wireless N, is better than Powerline for gaming. They seem to think Powerline was only better than Wireless G, and once N came along it just blew away Powerline networking.

Years ago for a Grad paper I did an exhaustive study of the then fledgling powerline spec. it is true, the algorithms used for powerline are much better suited for gaming because of how they deal with latency because of the nature of the medium.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Years ago for a Grad paper I did an exhaustive study of the then fledgling powerline spec. it is true, the algorithms used for powerline are much better suited for gaming because of how they deal with latency because of the nature of the medium.

In theory maybe, but ive got 5 powerline adaptors here in the house and none of them work for gaming, even in the same room - they all get packet loss and ping spikes.

Not the house wiring either, because i've tested them on five seperate properties (friends and family) to rule that out - once they hit near the bandwidth limits they can get on whatever connection strength they have they just seem to go to shit.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
In theory maybe, but ive got 5 powerline adaptors here in the house and none of them work for gaming, even in the same room - they all get packet loss and ping spikes.

Not the house wiring either, because i've tested them on five seperate properties (friends and family) to rule that out - once they hit near the bandwidth limits they can get on whatever connection strength they have they just seem to go to shit.

My AV600's net me ~48ms ping on most MMO's, and speedtest ping is ~23ms for a 50mile away server.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Great thread. I myself am unsure how to set up my home network. I did the mistake of buying a router with no external antennas: Dlink Dir 850L. I was really hyped up when I got it, but after a while, I still like it, but the coverage isn't that great. And I can't buy bigger/longer antenas, so...lesson learned. Since I spent so much cash on it, I will have to stick with it for a while.

Powerline looks like a lucrative option, but where I live, I don't know how old the electrical system is and honestly I wouldn't trust it.

What do you think of WiFi repeaters ? They are fairly cheap (just as Powerline). Do you think they are worth it in a house in the coutnry side to provide WiFi in the whole house with one router? What about in urban environment? Is it too much of "radiation" this way :)

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Repeaters/extenders are de debil. they halve the B/W and they have the co-channel-coniption issue. :p (and they are required to do so to repeat!)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
repeaters/extenders are... oh right remix beat me to it.

They're total garbage. Powerline *CAN* work - but try and buy from somewhere with a nice return policy if your experience ends up like mine.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Repeaters/extenders are de debil. they halve the B/W and they have the co-channel-coniption issue. :p (and they are required to do so to repeat!)

+1. And they are particularly terrible for "sticky" devices, like Apple hardware. You really need to separate your channels manually to get any kind of decent coexistence of wireless broadcasting. My partners father tried a repeater, but it just caused massive issues. I ended up running network cable for him and setting up another wireless router with my own channel settings.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Yep having multiple access points for multiple cats with good channel planning is bestest. :)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I forgot to mention, I live in a brand new house, so my power wiring is actually top notch. Explains why my powerline experience is so good.

My AV600's did once shit the bed however. Halfway through browsing and suddenly no internet. Flicked the power off and on and suddenly the AV600 upstairs was A-OK again.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
My electrical is a mixed bag of WTF since this house is a mixed bag of WTF as well LOL. powerlines have maxed out at 10Mbytes/sec. and this was in the next room and at the downstairs part of the house more like 6-7Mbytes/sec while wirelss N is 12-18Mbytes (5Ghz)