• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Network problems. help needed

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
oh man... where to start.

my GF's laptop has ran fine on my network for about a year and a half now perfectly fine.

the other day it stopped connecting via wifi out of the blue. i tried tons of typical ways to revive the wifi connection but no solution was found.

next i plug in the ethernet cable just to get it back on the network. it can do anything on the internet just fine but cannot see the local network computers at all. even the network printer cannot be seen. like the wifi problem i tried TONS of typical ways to solve the problem and nothing worked to solve the problem.

now that you see the basic problem let me go into detail.

the laptop uses a PC card/pcmcia wifi card. i have 2 different ones. both can see the router but neither can connect. i have tried manually setting the whole thing up and it does the same crap... cant connect. i reset the router and redid the whole network and still have the same problem.

on the ethernet connection i can see the router and use the internet but i cannot see anything else on the local network. i have made sure that the laptop is set to the correct network name and it does have a password setup. SOMETIMES(1 out of 20) i can see the laptops shared folders but i cannot access any data from them after about 30seconds.

i have tried new drivers, winsockfix tool, regcleaner, ccleaner, system mechanic, system restore(to before the problem started) and a handfull of other things. i have tried 100's of guides on network troubleshooting and nothing has helped. I AM FAAAAAAAAAARRRR from a network noob.(i have a degree in computer science and have a+, network+, CCNP and MCSE certs)

i have exhausted every idea i can come up with so im looking to you guys to help.(LOL)

System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

please be carefull with that program i umm, well i dunno if thats your issue but im betting youve tried everything else so why not.

good luck :(

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
yup. i used it to delete all the dll's and reinstalled them and still haveing the same problems.

the wifi cards both work in another computer just fine so i know its not that either.

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
it could be a router issue, since you have your certs im guessing you checked what ip the laptop is getting on LAN [that it is on the same subnet as the rest of the LAN] also, it sounds like it could kinda be a firewall issue too, like maybe internet settings set LAN to high and WAN to medium or something, oh also the reason i said firewall is a fairly recent patch reenabled my firewall, and a couple other annoying things too, could be that windows update updated your wifi drivers and that braught up an incompatibility with WPA2, could try changing it and the password and see if that helps, but as far as not being able to connect to lan I'd say thats prolly either a firewall issue, or a issue with the router seperateing the WIFI from the rest of the lan via giving it a different subnet, atleast most probably, and if your having an issue with that if its not the router,

still trying to come up with stuff :?

Processor I7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS z87 pro
Cooling Corsair a50
Memory 4x4 gig Gskil aries ddr3 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte r280x windforce
Storage intel 520 120 gig ssd
Display(s) 24 inch Asus IPS
Case Cool Master
Audio Device(s) realtek onboard
Power Supply hiper 880
Software win 7 ult
use the software that came with the wi-fi card not windows.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
they are driver only cards. no software.

not using any security at all.

firewalls have been disabled.

tried 3 different routers and i have reset all of them.

windows update hasnt been run on this machine for MONTHS. nothing else has been updated other than firefox and ccleaner.

there is no antivirus or antispyware progs on this laptop. i have scanned the drive in another computer and it has no known infections.

3 other computers in the house use the wifi too. i have tried shutting them all off and just using the laptop to connect.

i have manually set static ip's and properly configured the entire network and i have also tried the auto config settings.

wifi signal is at excellent. the laptop trys to connect and then fails.

any other ideas?

it feels like a registry setting is blocking the wifi card from connecting and file sharing and other network activities also seem to be disabled in the registry.... although they all seem to be functioning perfectly fine from a configuration standpoint.

When you try to connect, did it ask you for passwords? Or it just try to connect, and then fail?

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
says connecting, connecting, connecting, then goes back to available wifi networks and asks if you want to connect to one. it never actually connects at all. even on other networks throughout town. keeps doing this until it lies and says there are no networks found.

i just got back from walmart and i bought a new adapter and it does the same thing. this one is USB though.

It maybe because of the old profile.

The first time when you connect the computer to the network, windows will create the profile for it, with ID, and passwords on it, so it can do auto-connect.

You'll need to delete this profile.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
i did that a few hundred times already unless you know another place its stored in.

Is your wireless router/modem support N?
And, the laptop is G?

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
yes. i have tried setting it to g mode but ususally its on auto negotiate.

laptop G and i have 3 N routers. all the routers run on DD-WRT. i have tried a few different version of the firmwares and it none fix my problem with the laptop.

I didn't mean it that way, lol.

The story is, I have a N router, the one I was selling last week, I could connect my mom's computer to it, and it has a cheap Rosewill G wireless adapter.
But I couldn't connect a laptop to it, It has G wireless. I tried alot of things like you did, but nothing worked.
So, I borrowed an old G router from my neighboor (2 years old), and it worked fine.
I couldn't explain why though, because my mom's cheap G adapter worked, but why the laptop didn't?
You might want to try the native G router...

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
i tried that tooooooo. lol!

i have a few wrt54g's and they wont allow it to connect either.

it has worked flawlessly for months and months and months without ANY change in the configuration so there is no reason that it would be any different now. its just odd. really odd.

i even have a wifi N card that i tried and it wont connect.

Cooling cm 212 EVO
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Software Windows 8 pro
if they are linksys routers with broadcom chips, check to make sure they are in b+g mode [definatly not g only] i had a similar issue and that had fixed it [otherwise atheros or some broadcom too stuff had trouble connecting, also the wii]

EDIT: doesnt it sound like maybe the antenna is loose or the wifi chip overheated?

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
there are 3 other computers using the wifi though. im on one of them now.

antennae are not loose.... they are soldered to the wifi cards inside the router.

Cooling cm 212 EVO
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Software Windows 8 pro
i meant in the laptop

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
the laptop uses a PC card/pcmcia card. the antennae are inside a sealed unit.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
is her pc using winxp?

Cooling cm 212 EVO
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Software Windows 8 pro
ahh ok, was just thnking maybe it was in the screen, ive seen ones like that fail even tho they were inside the screen

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
Another option for pinpointing the problem is to use a linux live CD (like knoppix or something) and see if it works in that just to rule out the hardware possibility.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
nope. i think i know whats up here.

the laptop always gets really hot. i bet the pcmcia controller fried enough to make me think its still working but prevents it from actually working how it should.

it does the same crap in ubuntu as it does in windows.