1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

networking issue

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by syphorous523, Feb 16, 2008.

1. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just wanted to know if you could give me some advice. The router I have is a Linksys 802.11g 2.4GHz router with speed booster. The wireless card I have in my desktop is a wireless G 802.11b/g card. My router is using wep encryption and its only allowing g devices. I am losing connection a lot while playing my game but the signal is at 100%. I have tried so many things. Its only my computer running and I have a 7 meg cable modem. If you got anything let me know thanks guys.

2. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Disable the WEP and use MAC Filtering instead. WEP causes all sorts of issues. :)

syphorous523 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    really?? wow thanks so much Ill try that..

4. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    np. :) MAC filtering is not "secure" but it keeps people off your network.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Wep shouldn't be causing you to get kicked, and MAC filtering is useless. If you are going to disable WEP, you might as well just put up a big sign asking people to steal your wireless. It is amazingly easy to pick a MAC address out of the air and clone it.

What model exactly is your router, and what version? Are you using one of those cheap wireless cards?

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, the WEP here causes havoc on my gaming. I drop a cable to the router at night so my roomies cannot bitch, hehe

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wrt54gs vers 5 with latest firmware. My wireless card is a 802.11 g wireless card I just went to best buy and bought a 40 dollar one

8. Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    wireless suck for gaming sounds like its lag if you have a slow wireless card go out and get a faster one like 108 Mbps

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my router only supports 54 mbps though so it would be a waste.. And I don't understand how it would lag its 100 % connectivity no one else on the router

10. Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    even with 100 % connectivity thats not the speed of the wireless link are you getting the full 54mbps? sound line your link cant handle stress

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it jumps between 54 and 48 what do you mean can't handle stress

12. Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    well when i was using wireless i would have 100 % connectivity but i would get lag and get kick of low ping severs because my line keep jumping speeds with to much stress , but sounds like you mite have your network set up wrong or your using a old wireless card

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just bought the wireless card yesterday. Plus when I play games my ping is only about 40 to 90 never over 90 just I seem to lose connection a lot

14. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    is there any configuration the would cause this? I really don't understand what I would have set up wrong..

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

15. Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    what os are you using? maybe try setting up the configuration again still use wep do you use it with a password? im guess that the router is new to

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes router new windows xp and yes a password

17. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Wireless shouldn't be causing these issues. I game on wireless all the time. My PS3 is using wireless G(54Mb/s) and games just fine and my Athlon X2 4400+ machine is on wireless B(11Mb/s) and neither lag at all in online games. Internet connections are a lot slower than even wireless B.

However, it could be several things. Something could be interferring with your wireless connection. Cordless phones, microwaves, and any number of other devices that put out interferrence could be causing your connection to drop.

Try going into your router and changing what channel it runs on under wireless settings. Try different channels until you find one that works.

If that doesn't solve the problem, it might be your router. The WRT54GS v4 and higher have reduce RAM, which means they aren't able to handle a large number of connections, which can hinder online gaming. However, if that was the case, it would affect wired gaming also.

18. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm I tried that.. I dont have any cordless phones in my apartment and when I changed to a different channel the one I am on now is pretty good. But it still drops connection a lot more than it should.. any other ideas. There are many other routers in my complex could that be interfering?

19. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    its probably the router crashing, i suggest since you are running a WRT54GS v5.0 that you install DD-WRT Micro [i would suggest openWRT but you dont have enough room to run it with X-wrt just the micro version which is oldschool style not user friendly] ddwrt is not anywhere near as awesome as openWRT and its not quite as stable, but its like 100x more stable than VXWorks ftlog.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you mean install that on the router or my pc? Cause I tried everything else and still losing packets like crazy. When I stay connected it is super fast but I guess I drop packets and get disconnected. I am so mad right now I just want to get this working so some one please help

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its entirely possible something is jamming it. all 2.4GHz devices (microwaves, bluetooth, other wifi equip (some cordless phones) all fight for the same bandwidth.

Try changing the channel in the router (1 through 11 is normally available).

The less likely possibility is that someone is hacking it, forcing a disconnection is a popular way to speed up the breaking of an encryption key - go to WPA/WPA2 if possible, rather than WEP.

MAC address filtering is useless as already stated, as you can fake those with ease if you know how.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have try all the channels my best one seems to be nine still not as close to as good as wired. I am using wpa psk now also.

23. syphorous523 New Member

Thanks Received:
    there will also be times when my wireless on windows will say i am connected when i cannot get out and when i ping something it comes back after 10 seconds

24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    That could be a software issue with your wireless card, what wireless card do you have?

I know a lot of wireless cards have very dodgy software. The software can cause the connection to drop or reset, or if the software crashes it will cause you to lose the connection, even if Windows says you are connected.

25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you dont get the same issues over wired, i'd merely tell you to ditch wireless entirely. For all we know you are in a very wireless heavy area (neighbours have 10 bluetooth phone headsets, etc etc) - if you cant run a cable, look into homeplug technology (its wired, but over the houses power wiring. sounds freaky, but it works fine and its safe)

10 Year Member at TPU