1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Networking

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trt740, Feb 25, 2007.

1. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to connect a wireless modem directly to high speed dsl without a desktop as the base station . Example you buy a Netgear wireless high speed DSL modem but don't own a desk top computer and only want to connect to your laptop with a wireless card( not the neighbors unprotected connection, LOL just kidding) not through the lan is this possible. Hope you guys understand my question. I new at networking.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    If it's a wireless access point then yes. I have my main router connected to a secondary router acting as a hub with a wireless access point connected to that so I can use my laptop, no desktop required. Hope that helps.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Got that but you missed what I asked. I asked if you didn't have the desktop as a base station with a main router can you avoid that step.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I don't have a base station in my network. The router is controlled remotely over the LAN from any PC that is connected to the network.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it one of those 2WIRE units? You can run with only 1 wireless PC and no wired PCs if you want, but for intial setup the wireless is usually turned off so you will have to use a cable to connect your laptop.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    got it so its like a two in one unit or all in one that is, but to set it up you still have to plug in your laptop.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well there are some wifi modems but you are better off with a modem hooked to a wireless router.

I believe no matter which route you go you will have to physically connect to the router/modem to set it up. any laptop should have ethernet or a usb port so you should have no issue unless you are trying to hijack someone elses connection..

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah you have to connect via RJ45 (Cat5) to configure the router the first time its turned on, then your good to go.
    The only reason that people have base stations is because its pointless having a wireless connection when the router is next to the computer anyway AND/OR for networking/filesharing/printer sharing reasons...

Wireless is designed to either:
    allow you to avoid destructive/time consuming cable installation
    allow you to go mobile around areas of your house/backyard with a laptop

it depends alot on the setup and the amount your willing to pay of course
    just make sure you have decent equipment for the job, and make sure you set up the wireless router properly the first time you configure it. Saves alot of later hassles.

:toast: Wireless FTW

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    And put a decent password on it :p

Dont leave it as the default one :p

(Agreed to all points above; need the cable to set it up, then your good to go with wireless)

10 Year Member at TPU