1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Never Say Never: Duke Nukem Forever Lawsuit Dismissed, Game Still in Development

Discussion in 'Games' started by wahdangun, Jun 12, 2010.

1. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, its look like DNF still in development

so keep your faith guys. if we lucky maybe we can play it before 2012.

source : MPC

MadClown and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    after this much time , and this much hype - i really don't care anymore.
    I mean thank you for the news , much appreciated to be up to date.

but i think there is no way this game is going to be any good compared to today's standards, and all that is expected of it after more than a decade of hype.

I'm not even looking forward to seeing this developed. I think it would be better off if they just let it die.

imo

3. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    You will eat this words when it's released , and you'll be playing it.

4. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    or just revamp the engine with DX11 + PhysX and bring it back from the dead. Imagine Duke kicking butt with a rippling effect and the curtons wave with after effect :D

Bacon - p? whatever the famous dialogue he says :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Never.

I said it.

digibucc says thanks.
  6. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I thought 3D Realms went into administration.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Everybody's just so pissed cause it took so long, i think when they see it , everybody will think it was kind of worth it , but I have to agree , 5 years would have been enough , since they changed engine 2 times. And I have an older firend who was in all the years sorrounding DNF and he said it was 1 day from going gold and apparently didn't.

8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I hope to see it, I'm not gonna break down and cry if it doesn't happen. But I do want to hear the cheesy 1 liners and play some, if it happens great, if it doesn't, oh well.

9. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i've never even played any of the games, sad i kno lol, but visually....looks lacking for 2010, maybe in 2007 it'd been good.

10. MadClown

MadClown

Thanks Received:
    Best game ever. This game has balls of steel.

11. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    balls balls balls balls balls of steel

12. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe valve will release DNF with their new source engine in E3?

13. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I saw some of the demos way back, got excited, then all bad stuff happened, it got scrubbed, but there was still code so I was extremely confused, HOWEVER the tech demo I saw was way back. They will have to update it ALOT before release. Probably pretty far out, IF AT ALL!

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
  15. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I haven't played a Duke Nukem game since Time to Kill.

If it comes out I'm going to have to play it, even if I have to spend fatty loads of $ upgrading my PC.

17. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    That's what you call loylty , but i think that's justified how the DN3D was good , and I have no werid looks on those who are still so strong for it , I am my self but i was at the time , not so involved with it , didn't had my own pc unitl 2004 , was more console guy , I do still want to see DNF , but i am amazed how many are still following it very thightly , eventually it will , but that's just matter of time now , there is good news this year and I am afraid , take2 got the balls, there are indications it may not be a publisher anymore but that's really fifty-fifty speculation.

18. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    there is simply an infinite amount of possibilities with modern graphics engines that people should think and develop it goes TILT !!.

A lot of ideas but no one can take the responsibility to create the modern Duke Nukem, the expectations of fans and all of us are so high that people who must finish it's afraid to disappoint.

"When it's done ... "

19. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I actually think the Vikings will win the Super Bowl before Duke Nukem Forever comes out. And even though I'm from Minnesota, that's saying something.

20. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah , that's why they even can't imagine to think releasing it now , since now , they have to do it because people expect to see it in 2010 standards , anyhow , this delay probably got handy for DX11 , but again , nobody knows.

On the other hand , i don't expect super duper crysis graphics , jace hall who is friend of 3DR , said that they are doing more creative work than technological display, but yet again , we know that they update graphics, effects, decals all the time.

One thing 3DR wasted is simple fact , never do a full game with undeveloped concept , they were actually developing concept for like 5 years , but because they did a mistake , they modelled , skinned and did all the levels , and wasted like another 5 years on that because the concept and engine was not great , they scrapped work , if they didn't modeled, scripted ..etx anything , they would just scrap concept , ideas from the midn and some papers , and that IS the proper development procedure or experience , you see what does and what doesn't work , much like ID software Carmack explained, how he teaches new devs not to skin those ideas because they would scrap them later anyway, that would cause devs to be sad , and obviously with concept change you don't throw practically any work away.

For example , all the seniors of ID were assigned for developing IDTech5 engine and Doom4 , so RAGE was meant to be a "little addon" while waiting for Doom4 , because the new team was doing that they modelled and skinned the first concepts , when carmack saw that he got a great new IP , later realized it can be a full blown game , so RAGE was scrapped, half of it was lost work.

Because of this mistake , and scrapping , that's why a lot of developers left 3DR.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  21. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Who really cares. I liked the way it looked back in 2001 using Unreal Engine 1.5 and gameplay looked interesting as well. Back then i was waiting it with anticipation but now, i don't even care anymore. 10 years. C'mon...

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Not a surprise , when it really gets out , it's going to be big , but im afraid that those guys that are now like 30 years old .... long forgot about it , some might , but they will probably not just buy a new PC and get to gaming , no time , family. ...

Im just feeling stupid explaing something that's so maturely logical and obvious , I don't have naything agant those who still wait for DNF , yeah, let the legacy live , but people still in those 3DR forums are such retards , all they do is living in forum all day talking nonsense bs.

I payed a visit there when the lawsuit was settled , and like in 2 days got the ol' virus of "offtopic nonsense bs with dnf development conspiracies and theories that i can't get out of my mind".

23. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its all Blah blah blah. Who will care about a game that had taken sooooooo long to even consider hitting the market? Most of the future kids will say "Duke Nukem"? Who the fak is that? And all us old farts who played the original Duke back in the early days before the great war of 2012 will all chuckle and laugh at the stupid little wee ones.
    Die already! :toast: