• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New 3DS already!

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
No it won't. It's going to be a rehash of a genric FPS that'll be the same as every other generic FPS on the market.

Read the sig man!

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
So?, the portability and power is great with the Vita. But they did the same thing with the PSP where i got hyped because it was like a portable PS2 and then it ended up below my expectations.

So what if one is portable and the other isn't, they're the same price, so that gives you two choices, a full fledged Console with an already strong and growing library or a portable where in which all they have mostly shown is the same games we've already played.

Like i said, i think the Vita would be great if they bring the software, but they so far haven't shown enough new IP's to warrant spending $250 on(my opinion of course), so far it feels like another PSP where they achieve greatly in hardware but then they'll just keep copy and pasting games over and people will slowly lose interest.

But only time will tell of course, i hope devs bring out some good games so i can pick one up.:)

I agree man. I bought a PSP back when it dropped. Sold it in 2 months due to lack of support. I enjoy my 3DS far more then I ever did my PSP and its just getting started. Sony has hardware sure. But no games.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
I plan to get a Vita at some point. I imagine they'll start with decent ports of current and past games, then it'll come into its own and its proper lifecycle will start.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Resident Evil for the 3DS looks nice.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not to get off topic again but I must add that the Uncharted series is my favorite. Those two games are on the top of my favorite games list of all time. I absolutely love action/adventure and I never once compared it to TR but I did compare it to the Indiana Jones movies. Tomb Raider is a good group of games but they have nothing on Uncharted. I'm a sucker for anything that has to do with adventure and treasure seeking.

Back on topic that sucks about the 3ds. I have no interest in the Vita either. I owned a PSP and used it a few hours at most. It sat on the shelf unused for well over a year or two before I sold it. There just wasn't enough support for quality games. One or two games does not make a hand held worth buying.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
oh yeah God of War is totally like Ninja Gaiden..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you battle hordes of enemies and big bosses, what part of the gameplay isn't similar to Ninja Gaiden?

Im not pissed off anymore i just feel let down by Nintendo because i was an early adopter. I saw Starfox 64 and 3D MGS3D then i thought it could be a nifty wee system, if they are just going to revamp it we can still play those new games but i might do a trade up like i keep mentioning.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Yeah you battle hordes of enemies and big bosses, what part of the gameplay isn't similar to Ninja Gaiden?

there are hundreds of titles like that. Ninja Gaiden wasn't the first.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
there are hundreds of titles like that. Ninja Gaiden wasn't the first.

If I would have said Golden Ax would that have made you feel better? Point is GoW is nothing at all new and not worth the hype its given. Uncharted is just a Tomb Raider rip off. Both of those games are over hyped to Halo levels.

Devil May Cry is also similar to God of War, its done to death and i can get it on PS3 if i wanted there's no innovation that makes me want to play those games. This is like when fanboys defend any playstation exclusive; take Resistance even though that's just a generic FPS series it was touted as being amazing but the first game looks like an up res'd PS2 game and plays like a PS2 medal of honour game.

If Sony can wing out some nifty portable games that make the system unique then yeah i would start to look at the Vita in another light but right now its a mini PS3 similar games. PS3 games are not suited to being played on the go, a handheld shouldn't be treated like a home console with a smaller screen.
EDIT: Im not bashing the PS3 or the Vita im just saying there is nothing that makes me want to buy a Vita. So what it has good graphics, i'll just play my pc then instead that is my point ladies and gentlemen.

If I would have said Golden Ax would that have made you feel better? Point is GoW is nothing at all new and not worth the hype its given. Uncharted is just a Tomb Raider rip off. Both of those games are over hyped to Halo levels.

Have you played both ninja gaiden and GoW? They are night and day ffs.

Besides i think 3ds is overhyped anyway, it's just a DS with 3.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!

But, have YOU personally played through these titles? If you haven't, you can't really judge them. Uncharted and God Of War keep you hooked from the very start and don't let you go until you see the end credits rolling!

Not many games are totally original nowadays and to dismiss certain franchises because they seem like a rip-off is like cutting off your nose to spite your face :(

Devil May Cry is also similar to God of War, its done to death and i can get it on PS3 if i wanted there's no innovation that makes me want to play those games. This is like when fanboys defend any playstation exclusive; take Resistance even though that's just a generic FPS series it was touted as being amazing but the first game looks like an up res'd PS2 game and plays like a PS2 medal of honour game.

If Sony can wing out some nifty portable games that make the system unique then yeah i would start to look at the Vita in another light but right now its a mini PS3 similar games. PS3 games are not suited to being played on the go, a handheld shouldn't be treated like a home console with a smaller screen.
EDIT: Im not bashing the PS3 or the Vita im just saying there is nothing that makes me want to buy a Vita. So what it has good graphics, i'll just play my pc then instead that is my point ladies and gentlemen.

YAWN! I suppose the endless stream of PC FPS/RTS titles are all 110% innovative? If you don't like playing games that are similar to other games, what do you play?

System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling Chicken Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripshits X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5850
Storage Kingston 128GB SSD + WD Black 640GB + 2x 1.5TB
Display(s) 24" Acer G245HQ + 19" Lenovo L194
Case Antec NSK-4482 Orangified
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software Windows 7: Electric Boogaloo
Can you not just return your 3DS, MailMan?

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I'm scared that the Vita will go the same route the PSP did where the power was so overwhelming that all developers did was copy and paste over PS2 games.

Especially now that the PS3 has dropped to the price of $249.99 it's going to even more difficult trying to sell Vita at the same price.(the 3G version actually costs more then a PS3)

But i think the Vita will be great if they just throw some different and new IP's on there, as there is only so many times i can tolerant playing Killzone, Uncharted and Resistance again and again.

I don't think there are a ton of paste of PS2 games, the PSP doesn't quite have enough power to run PS2 games, so only a few got pasted over. And honestly I don't mind, I just picked up Star Wars Battlefront II, it's a game I never had time for, or real interest on console. But when I'm sitting on lunch break at work, or laying in bed not able to sleep. It's great fun, and I would have never got to enjoy it if it wasn't for that.

I agree man. I bought a PSP back when it dropped. Sold it in 2 months due to lack of support. I enjoy my 3DS far more then I ever did my PSP and its just getting started. Sony has hardware sure. But no games.

I love my PSP, but it's not because of what it came out of the box as. It's because of what the community has turned it into. All of my favorite NES, SNES, Sega games I have sitting at around, but makes me sad to pull out the old console and play it on a high res TV, it's just amazing, even old PS1 games. Or I use it as an MP3 player, a portable movie player, can even use it as a GPS. The thing is amazing, to compare it to a 3DS is just sad, it has much more potential besides playing Nintendogs ( :p). I have in my pocket some of the best games ever made, I was just on a 7 day vacation, and when I got sick of spending time outside, I would relax and play some Battletoads, or some RC Pro Am, or Final Fight, I mean seriously, how can it get any better than that, or how can the 3DS even compare?

Um no. Without Tomb Raider and Ninja Gadien both God of War and Uncharted would not exist. Face it. They are rip offs.

And without James Bond there would be no Tomb Raider, and without Bruce Lee there would be no Ninja Gaiden. If your point is, the predecessor is all that matters, then everything now sucks and we shouldn't play anything except indie titles. Either way I disagree with GoW, I know you haven't even played GoW, so I will explain more below (you can't judge without playing).

God of Wars hype isn't over gameplay (well some if it is because of the polish). It's over the story telling, the game is just epic, the story is epic, they make you feel epic. You are a mortal, you literally climb Mt Olympus on a Titans back, you kill Zeus, you kill Medusa, you kill the God of War! All as a Mortal, you do the impossible, you climb out of Hades grasp of death. So you are missing the point, you are dicing it down to gameplay for a game (a series) you haven't even touched. Kratos is epic, GoW series is epic, without playing it you just can't understand you are missing out, it is worth all of the hype simply based on the story.

Now to say GoW copied Ninja Gaiden, I would call BS. As far as copying the side scrolling games, hard to really say that was possible, they had to add so much more to the games. So the only one they could have really copied is the one released in 04 for the xbox. And GoW 1 came out in 05, a year later (to the month actually). Games go "Gold" a month or 2 before release, and 3 - 5 months before releasing is working heavily on polishing and case work. To say that in the 7 or so month of time SCE Santa Monica had, they completely wiped the slate clean, and started over with Ninja Gaiden in mind, not possible. These games were in development at the sametime. And even if they some how did wipe the slate clean and start over, GoW 1 is ranked on Metacritic as a 94, making it one of the highest rated PS2 games ever (tied for 4th best PS2 game). And honestly, out of all of the games I have played, one of the best games I have ever played. Ninja Gaiden came in at 91 (which is great), and a year later the better game released.

There is a reason games are called GoW clones, not just because of the combat. It's about the story telling the camera angles, the cut scenes. But most of them lack the extreme combat polish, and none of them have that amazing story to back them up. Sorry, I got to defend GoW, I just can't let someone who hasn't got seat time with these amazing titles to just say, because their gameplay resembles something means they aren't even worth looking at. Story matters, and GoW brings it in truck loads. (this is coming from someone who usually skips all cut scenes and just plays games, GoW just pulled me in)

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I don't think there are a ton of paste of PS2 games, the PSP doesn't quite have enough power to run PS2 games, so only a few got pasted over. And honestly I don't mind, I just picked up Star Wars Battlefront II, it's a game I never had time for, or real interest on console. But when I'm sitting on lunch break at work, or laying in bed not able to sleep. It's great fun, and I would have never got to enjoy it if it wasn't for that.

I love my PSP, but it's not because of what it came out of the box as. It's because of what the community has turned it into. All of my favorite NES, SNES, Sega games I have sitting at around, but makes me sad to pull out the old console and play it on a high res TV, it's just amazing, even old PS1 games. Or I use it as an MP3 player, a portable movie player, can even use it as a GPS. The thing is amazing, to compare it to a 3DS is just sad, it has much more potential besides playing Nintendogs ( :p). I have in my pocket some of the best games ever made, I was just on a 7 day vacation, and when I got sick of spending time outside, I would relax and play some Battletoads, or some RC Pro Am, or Final Fight, I mean seriously, how can it get any better than that, or how can the 3DS even compare?

And without James Bond there would be no Tomb Raider, and without Bruce Lee there would be no Ninja Gaiden. If your point is, the predecessor is all that matters, then everything now sucks and we shouldn't play anything except indie titles. Either way I disagree with GoW, I know you haven't even played GoW, so I will explain more below (you can't judge without playing).

God of Wars hype isn't over gameplay (well some if it is because of the polish). It's over the story telling, the game is just epic, the story is epic, they make you feel epic. You are a mortal, you literally climb Mt Olympus on a Titans back, you kill Zeus, you kill Medusa, you kill the God of War! All as a Mortal, you do the impossible, you climb out of Hades grasp of death. So you are missing the point, you are dicing it down to gameplay for a game (a series) you haven't even touched. Kratos is epic, GoW series is epic, without playing it you just can't understand you are missing out, it is worth all of the hype simply based on the story.

Now to say GoW copied Ninja Gaiden, I would call BS. As far as copying the side scrolling games, hard to really say that was possible, they had to add so much more to the games. So the only one they could have really copied is the one released in 04 for the xbox. And GoW 1 came out in 05, a year later (to the month actually). Games go "Gold" a month or 2 before release, and 3 - 5 months before releasing is working heavily on polishing and case work. To say that in the 7 or so month of time SCE Santa Monica had, they completely wiped the slate clean, and started over with Ninja Gaiden in mind, not possible. These games were in development at the sametime. And even if they some how did wipe the slate clean and start over, GoW 1 is ranked on Metacritic as a 94, making it one of the highest rated PS2 games ever (tied for 4th best PS2 game). And honestly, out of all of the games I have played, one of the best games I have ever played. Ninja Gaiden came in at 91 (which is great), and a year later the better game released.

There is a reason games are called GoW clones, not just because of the combat. It's about the story telling the camera angles, the cut scenes. But most of them lack the extreme combat polish, and none of them have that amazing story to back them up. Sorry, I got to defend GoW, I just can't let someone who hasn't got seat time with these amazing titles to just say, because their gameplay resembles something means they aren't even worth looking at. Story matters, and GoW brings it in truck loads. (this is coming from someone who usually skips all cut scenes and just plays games, GoW just pulled me in)

As a matter of fact I did play through pretty much most of GoW a few weeks ago and it made me sick the amount of elements it "borrowed" from DMC and Ninja Gaiden. I mean its nothing but flash and no challenge. Cool, sure but not worth any of the hype. I expected my socks to be blown off and I fell bored after jumping out of the side of cronos (I think that was his name) Ninja Gadien is a far better game. As for Tomb Raider copying James Bond you are insanely wrong. Tomb Raider started the genre in VIDEO GAMES not movies. Big difference. Uncharted just made Lara Croft into a man and did better cut scenes. Same shit. Before I couldn't talk shit. Now that I have a few dozen hours with both those games I can safely say I ain't missing nothing on the PS3 "exclusives". I dont want a playable movie. I want a fucking video game.

As for the PSP thing playing old console games are cool I guess but I have a few hang ups with that. One I don't steal. If I don't own the game personally I wont download it. Second I'm done with most of those games in that incarnation. I don't mind rehashes with new graphics but I don't feel a need to play the originals again in their original form. Basically what you used the PSP for is what an Andriod phone can do......and better.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
Tomb Raider was a ripoff of Pitfall.

TheMailMan78

Big Member

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
As a matter of fact I did play through pretty much most of GoW a few weeks ago and it made me sick the amount of elements it "borrowed" from DMC and Ninja Gaiden. I mean its nothing but flash and no challenge. Cool, sure but not worth any of the hype. I expected my socks to be blown off and I fell bored after jumping out of the side of cronos (I think that was his name) Ninja Gadien is a far better game. As for Tomb Raider copying James Bond you are insanely wrong. Tomb Raider started the genre in VIDEO GAMES not movies. Big difference. Uncharted just made Lara Croft into a man and did better cut scenes. Same shit. Before I couldn't talk shit. Now that I have a few dozen hours with both those games I can safely say I ain't missing nothing on the PS3 "exclusives". I dont want a playable movie. I want a fucking video game.

As for the PSP thing playing old console games are cool I guess but I have a few hang ups with that. One I don't steal. If I don't own the game personally I wont download it. Second I'm done with most of those games in that incarnation. I don't mind rehashes with new graphics but I don't feel a need to play the originals again in their original form. Basically what you used the PSP for is what an Andriod phone can do......and better.

GoW gameplay is exciting, some of it is really challenging. But for the most part it's puzzle solving, if you want a flat out challenge, play Challenge of the Gods / Titans, and tell me you don't want to snap a controller in half. I completed every single challenge on both GoW I and GoW II, when most people hear that they look amazed (honestly maybe one of the toughest of my gaming achievements). I am surprised you got bored of GoW though, compared to NG, GoW has a better storyline, better character, better setting, better camera work, I just can't see how NG could fair any better. But you are still missing out on GoW, you are comparing the 3rd title in the line. I never played 1 or 2 till they released on PS3, and even being late to the game they impressed me.

But as far as discounting movies? I don't see why, we are talking about concepts here. Lara Croft is simply Indiana Jones with boobs and uses more guns (slight mix of James Bond). Far from an original concept.

Now onto the PSP, all valid points. But, for me personally, I enjoyed most of those old games, but never got to spend the time on them, or play all of them I wanted as I didn't make my own income then. As far as PS1 titles, thats extremely easy to convert to play on the PSP, I do those all myself with my own discs, and the only ROMs I have are the games I own I haven't ever looked into how to convert those, I'm not stealing anything. It's just nice to play them again on a small monitor I can bring anywhere, and have good button placement (something a phone won't give). I would love an Android, but I don't even own a cell phone, and I don't think Androids can play all of the great PS1 titles I own either, so for me, the PS1 is where it's at, simple because I can get all of my nostalgia in one place.

Last edited:
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Thats a nice addition, dual joysticks on a handheld.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
it's a cradle that adds shoulder buttons and another circle pad. you won't need to buy a new Nintendo 3DS.

it's a cradle that adds shoulder buttons and another circle pad. you won't need to buy a new Nintendo 3DS.

If its as big as that i probably would be better off trading up. Why couldnt Ninty get it right first time?

Man that sucker is massive.

Thats bigger than the charging dock so what im supposed to unattach it everytime i wanna charge it with the dock? pppppppft.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
<thinks happy thoughts>

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1