• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New AMD FirePro Deliver Unprecedented Levels of Performance for Mac Pro

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD announced dual AMD FirePro professional graphics solutions (GPUs) deliver unprecedented levels of performance for the new Mac Pro. The AMD FirePro D300, D500 and D700 professional GPUs offer exceptional compute power and reliability for creativity and productivity in a wide range of applications. With industry-adopted OpenCL (Open Computing Language) support, Mac Pro users have the ability to seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video and simultaneously render effects in the background, and still have enough performance to power up to three high-resolution 4K displays.

These new AMD FirePro GPUs are built on the strength of AMD's award-winning Graphics Core Next GPU design -- an architecture conceived from the ground up to intelligently manage rendering and compute workloads. The combination of AMD FirePro GPUs and OpenCL -- strongly supported by both Apple and AMD -- is designed to deliver massive compute and graphics performance in one compact solution.

"We are very proud to offer dual AMD FirePro professional graphics in the new Mac Pro to empower users with the power and performance they need for uncompromising creativity and productivity," said Matt Skynner, corporate vice president and general manager, Graphics Business Unit, AMD. "AMD prides itself on quality support and development for our professional graphics solutions. Backed by award winning graphics technology, we believe Mac Pro users will experience top notch results with AMD FirePro GPUs."
"We are very excited to see the performance that our DaVinci Resolve customers will get with the dual AMD FirePro GPUs featured in the new Mac Pro," said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. "The combination of the OpenCL acceleration of the AMD FirePro with the Mac Pro's revolution in pro desktop design and performance will be absolutely amazing for video and film professionals."

"We really enjoyed working with AMD to maximize MARI's performance on the new Mac Pro. We've seen some of the best performance out of the box from MARI with the dual FirePro GPUs in the Mac Pro," said Jack Greasley, MARI Product Manager at The Foundry.

The dual AMD FirePro GPU options for Mac Pro feature up to 6GB of VRAM and up to 2048 stream processors per GPU, matched with top configurations capable of up to 7 teraflops of computing power. OpenGL and OpenCL are optimized in OS X Mavericks to leverage the full computing power of the Mac Pro and dual GPUs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
OK btarunr, I have to ask: do you and your colleagues actually write any of these AMD "news" or does AMD give you the material to cut and paste on here? Not just exclusive to TechPowerUp, but every single time I see anything written about an AMD partnership or technology, they always sound like scripted marketing rather than news written by journalists. I don't remember it being this bad before.

oiTREV

OK btarunr, I have to ask: do you and your colleagues actually write any of these AMD "news" or does AMD give you the material to cut and paste on here? Not just exclusive to TechPowerUp, but every single time I see anything written about an AMD partnership or technology, they always sound like scripted marketing rather than news written by journalists. I don't remember it being this bad before.

It's a press release :)

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7

It says "Press Release". You have to go through techpowerup.com/ and not techpowerup.com/forums/ to see it.

If it says: PRESS RELEASE at the beginning of the story that typically means it's PR from the company. Many news sites edit the official PR or do additional research and write their own story.

This is good news for AMD and consumers as this is the beginning of utilization of AMDs new heterogeneous computing, which is a huge step forward for the industry. Intel is sure to try and copy with their own spin on why their copy is better. They always do.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

You missed this bit....

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
Look up "PR"...

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
Sorry, I came across this on the forums, not the main site....

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
This is good news for AMD and consumers as this is the beginning of utilization of AMDs new heterogeneous computing, which is a huge step forward for the industry. Intel is sure to try and copy with their own spin on why their copy is better. They always do.

Dude, you again? Dude, it's not the beginning of anything. Dude, it's not "heterogeneous", it has an Intel Xeon CPU. Dude, it's not a huge step for anyone, you can build a similar or a more powerful system for a lower price. It's just not going to look like a trash can with wires attached.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Dude, you again? Dude, it's not the beginning of anything. Dude, it's not "heterogeneous", it has an Intel Xeon CPU. Dude, it's not a huge step for anyone, you can build a similar or a more powerful system for a lower price. It's just not going to look like a trash can with wires attached.

There's no sense in arguing with a guy that has more single minded fury than an incontinent honey badger. He replies to no man.
On topic, surprised the Macs can deal with the heat output of the new hawaii chips. Macs aren't the coolest of systems.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Are these Hawaii chips?

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Are these Hawaii chips?

nope, that is Tahiti. The renders they have been showing is using a GPU that is similar to Tahiti and not Hawaii.

overpass

I am not an advocate for Apple, but it would be pretty difficult to build a similar system and stay within the price point that Apple has suggested. Many others on the web have brainstormed of a way to build a PC equivalent and they were at a loss where to actually begin. And within that compact form factor. That Xeon CPU alone costs more than $1200 from my cursory search on the web. Apple really has delivered on this iteration of Mac Pro.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
If it says: PRESS RELEASE at the beginning of the story that typically means it's PR from the company.
Whereas if it says Jorge at the beginning of a post it's PR from the individual. And now, back to the boilerplate...
This is good news for AMD and consumers¹ as this is the beginning of utilization of AMDs new heterogeneous computing² , which is a huge step forward for the industry³ . Intel is sure to try and copy with their own spin on why their copy is better⁴. They always do⁵.

¹Big surprise- I would never have guessed
²Buzzwords used out of context. Classic PR move
³Hey, it's AMD it must be! Unless of course it's the same Grant Petty talking up Nvidia's Quadro from a few months back. So many huge steps that Grant might just as well be employed by the Ministry of Silly Walks.
⁴When was the last time Intel even acknowledged AMD as worthy of commenting upon?
⁵Ratio of AMD press releases to Intel ? 50:1 ? 100:1 ? Refer to note ¹ for the one-a-day PR cadence.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
I am not an advocate for Apple, but it would be pretty difficult to build a similar system and stay within the price point that Apple has suggested. Many others on the web have brainstormed of a way to build a PC equivalent and they were at a loss where to actually begin. And within that compact form factor. That Xeon CPU alone costs more than $1200 from my cursory search on the web. Apple really has delivered on this iteration of Mac Pro.

It isn't that Apple has a value for the level of parts used...its that 95% of Mac users likely don't need Xeons. Even on the Pro side. That has always been the case with PowerMacs and Mac Pros.

One of the primary reasons they are bought is for the expansion capabilities. Laptops, Minis, and iMacs do not have PCIe slots or extra HDD bays. Pro users have their own choice parts that they have to be able to integrate into a machine. Can't do that with the others.

Offer them the same product with an i7 and they'll buy it over the Xeon. There would only be a few who would want the Xeon over i7. Apple used to do things like this. They offered more than one Tower line and guess which ones sold the most, typically the low-mid range models. The $2k+ models sat.

One of the largest outcries since the x86 switch is for the return of the "affordable" Mac tower. Apple just keeps giving their customers the finger because if they bring it back, they can't rape wallets as much. Sales of the Mini would take a hit and unless you've been living under a rock, you've noticed how the Mini continues to climb in price bit by bit. The $500 Mac which it introed as, is creeping closer to $1000 and I'm sure Apple is loving it. Specially since no one seems to care.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
are any components glued on like the macbook pros?