• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build. A little advice.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
The thing about Threadripper and AMD in general is that sure, you've got tons of cores, but they are about 30% slower (1950x core compared to 8700k, both OC). So even for video editing, which surprisingly can actually be faster on an Intel k chip, due to the integrated gpu providing hardware acceleration, the Threadripper chips don't perform as expected. Most software, especially adobe software, loves single thread performance, and can take advantage of multithreaded performance in specific use cases. Take a look at render times comparisons

Based on your assessment of the new update that allows Adobe premiere to use an IGPU. Do you think that the R5 2400G would be a good CPU to use with Adobe; it has the same cores/threads. Even though the 8700K has higher IPC, the GPU is after all much faster than the Intel 630. Has anyone produced a video using the R5 2400G with video editing with Adobe's update?

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
ne6togadno
Asrock has the best VRM's on £140 tier mobos with the Extreme4

System Name The Endless Road.
Processor R9 5900X under EKWB Quantum Velocity2 block.
Motherboard asrock x570 phantom gaming 4
Cooling EK-XRES 100 Revo D5, EK Quantum Surface 420M (case roof) with 3x140m.m. case fans, pull config
Memory 32Gb DDR4 3600/14 cas
Video Card(s) Zotac RX4080 Trinity, waterblock cooled.
Storage 2 Tb WD Black sn770
Display(s) 32" Gigabyte M32UC 4K/144 Hz
Case Corsair 7000D airflow
Audio Device(s) MB audio feeding a HyperX Cloud 2 wired headset
Power Supply Koolink Continuum 850
Mouse one
Keyboard also one
Software Win 11 Home 64 bit
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks.
As some have suggested, you need to check your software documentation, some suites can use multiple cores effectively, some can use multiple cores effectively during certain actions while some are heavily dependant on single core performance at all times.

Remember, TR4 is an expensive platform., Older 19XX parts are getting rare now, but can represent the best value so if you want to go the TR route ( and need to ) I'd hunt up a 1920X,
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor (£398.40 @ Alza)
Total: £398.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-11 19:49 BST+0100
Just be quick!

Otherwise, the 8 core 2700/2700X are best suited to multiple core uses within a reasonable budget, pair one of these with a half decent B450MB and 16Gb of DDR4 3000 RAM ( faster if you can afford it ) and you have a excellent video editing/rendering system, provided your software can use all 8C16T often enough to make the purchase worthwhile.

I've never owned an AS Rock mobo before. A friend has one for his AMD flying simulator setup and swears by them. I've only ever owned Asus mainly + a Gigabye mobo a few years back.

We were an Asus only shop for over a decade; the many thing to remeber is ... like football, who is the dominant team chnages... sometimes quickly. For example, we had done a few rebuilds for folks w/ cracked or damaged MoBos and there was some commonality:

-All 3 Coolers were Hyper 212. Can't blame CM per se, it was user error from over tightening the hold down screws, but spend a few more bucks and the cooler mounting mechanism has 'stops' that render this almost impossible.

-All 3 boards were AsRock. To be fair, have to provide some background. Asus was losing a lot of market share because they catered to enthusiasts and not system builders (read low budget). If they sold cheap boards to this market niche, they had a concern that their image would be tarnished and they created ASRock. A few years later they spun off ASR as a separate company and it suffered some early image hits due to a) depending on board, warrantees were 1 or 2 years, boards were noticably thinner than the competition's, they had many boards with the bulged / melting caps thing, (so did others to a much lesser extent) and they really approached the top in the charts in performance comparisons. Then things started changing.

Even after the spinoff, AsRock's parent company, built Asus laptops and ran Asus's RMA and tech support processes (P68) years. Since then they have made significant strides in both quality and performance. Hard to find issue with the price performance ratio these days, by documentation and BIOS is at the bottom. Asus tends to cheap out 1st in the mid range boards ... to get ALC 1220 for exmaple, you'll usually pay more for Asus than anyone else and there is the RoG Tax which adds $20 - $50 to comparable boards. MSI made great strides starting wirh Z87 substantially outperforming the competition thru Z170 tho their BIOS was not as intuitive as Asus. Starting with Z270, performance among all major vendors seems to have evened out. Gigabyte remains a stalwart not really doing anything exciting but making a very reliable product. The TUF series is oft used on workstation builds. And in the mid range desktop, mostly MSI and Gigabyte.

At the budget gaming level, we have been using the MSI SLI Plus as the starting point on Intel Builds and the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming on the AMD side.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
ne6togadno
Asrock has the best VRM's on £140 tier mobos with the Extreme4
cant see what vrms on intel mb have to do with amd cpu.

if you want to tag someone you should use @ before the nickname.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I hear ya fella I to used to be my own worst salesman go out to build a system come back spending a lot more than I planed once all setup I thought fantastic this awesome then followed by but I don't even need a PC this good lol I would do that probs twice a year at least after 24 years the penny dropped

you should find plenty of good advice here.

are you me?

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
System Name Overkill!
Processor i7-8700k
Motherboard Asus Prime Z370-A
Cooling Corsair H100i v2
Memory 32GB DDR4@2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Evga 980ti FTW
Storage Samsung Evo 500GB
Power Supply Evga 1000W G2
Software Win 10 Pro
It's more like £600 over here...

I'll see what I can do, he's rather busy and never really replies unless he wants to talk about something he wants lol :)

No worries, got my eyes on a system build as I type. Was thinking Threadripper but might hold out for AMD's next offering.

Wrong on vrms, that's between Asus and AsRock. MSI and Gigabyte have been cutting corners since 2013 at this rate.

Thanks for setting me straight :)

As some have suggested, you need to check your software documentation, some suites can use multiple cores effectively, some can use multiple cores effectively during certain actions while some are heavily dependant on single core performance at all times.

Remember, TR4 is an expensive platform., Older 19XX parts are getting rare now, but can represent the best value so if you want to go the TR route ( and need to ) I'd hunt up a 1920X,
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor (£398.40 @ Alza)
Total: £398.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-11 19:49 BST+0100

Just be quick!

Otherwise, the 8 core 2700/2700X are best suited to multiple core uses within a reasonable budget, pair one of these with a half decent B450MB and 16Gb of DDR4 3000 RAM ( faster if you can afford it ) and you have a excellent video editing/rendering system, provided your software can use all 8C16T often enough to make the purchase worthwhile.

Thanks, a Threadripper is what I'm really after. Will need at least 32GB of RAM for After Effects alone because 12GB is the bare minimum recommended.
At least I'll be able to watch Kittens on Youtube with 32GB of RAM while rendering a video ;)

We were an Asus only shop for over a decade; the many thing to remeber is ... like football, who is the dominant team chnages... sometimes quickly. For example, we had done a few rebuilds for folks w/ cracked or damaged MoBos and there was some commonality:

-All 3 Coolers were Hyper 212. Can't blame CM per se, it was user error from over tightening the hold down screws, but spend a few more bucks and the cooler mounting mechanism has 'stops' that render this almost impossible.

-All 3 boards were AsRock. To be fair, have to provide some background. Asus was losing a lot of market share because they catered to enthusiasts and not system builders (read low budget). If they sold cheap boards to this market niche, they had a concern that their image would be tarnished and they created ASRock. A few years later they spun off ASR as a separate company and it suffered some early image hits due to a) depending on board, warrantees were 1 or 2 years, boards were noticably thinner than the competition's, they had many boards with the bulged / melting caps thing, (so did others to a much lesser extent) and they really approached the top in the charts in performance comparisons. Then things started changing.

Even after the spinoff, AsRock's parent company, built Asus laptops and ran Asus's RMA and tech support processes (P68) years. Since then they have made significant strides in both quality and performance. Hard to find issue with the price performance ratio these days, by documentation and BIOS is at the bottom. Asus tends to cheap out 1st in the mid range boards ... to get ALC 1220 for exmaple, you'll usually pay more for Asus than anyone else and there is the RoG Tax which adds $20 - $50 to comparable boards. MSI made great strides starting wirh Z87 substantially outperforming the competition thru Z170 tho their BIOS was not as intuitive as Asus. Starting with Z270, performance among all major vendors seems to have evened out. Gigabyte remains a stalwart not really doing anything exciting but making a very reliable product. The TUF series is oft used on workstation builds. And in the mid range desktop, mostly MSI and Gigabyte.

At the budget gaming level, we have been using the MSI SLI Plus as the starting point on Intel Builds and the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming on the AMD side.

Thanks for the insight john, very helpful indeed. :cool:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
No worries, got my eyes on a system build as I type. Was thinking Threadripper but might hold out for AMD's next offering.

Thanks for setting me straight :)

Thanks, a Threadripper is what I'm really after. Will need at least 32GB of RAM for After Effects alone because 12GB is the bare minimum recommended.
At least I'll be able to watch Kittens on Youtube with 32GB of RAM while rendering a video ;)

Thanks for the insight john, very helpful indeed. :cool:

If you want a TR Rig I guess you could jump for a 2900-2950X.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(

Anything you'd like to share or do we all have to wait in suspense ;)

System Name Overkill!
Processor i7-8700k
Motherboard Asus Prime Z370-A
Cooling Corsair H100i v2
Memory 32GB DDR4@2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Evga 980ti FTW
Storage Samsung Evo 500GB
Power Supply Evga 1000W G2
Software Win 10 Pro
If you want a TR Rig I guess you could jump for a 2900-2950X.

I'm torn between 1st and 2nd gen TR chips. Of course prices are lower for first gen, then I see some reviews slating the 2nd gen chips. (Toms)
It's hard to decide at times unless an actual owner can give the thumbs up, or down.

Anything you'd like to share or do we all have to wait in suspense ;)

It'll definitely be a Ryzen - Threadripper build but I'm weighing up the cost + performance of the 2nd gen chips vs 1st gen at present. Might have to empty the cookie jar of cash if I want to future proof a machine. Then again the hardware gets refreshed in such a short time and something more juicy hits the shelves making you kick yourself for not waiting a little longer :/

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10