• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build advice

System Name V!per
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 560
Storage SSD Corsair Forza 90GB / WD Black 1TB
Display(s) ASUS
Case Cooler Master StormScout
Power Supply Corsair TX750M
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I don't check this forum.

So, preparing myself for the next WoW expansion, I would like to setup a new gaming desktop, which I could also combine with my work, which is no more than simple tasks and some simple AUTOCAD revisions.

I do have a EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC and a Sapphire Radeon RX580 8GB which I haven't decided yet which one I will use while the new gen of GPU's comes out.

Also, I have my EVGA 1000GQ (1000W) modular PSU which I'm planning to use it on this build too.

Tbh I always used Intel CPU and nVidia GPU, and I would love to stick to them, but I've been reading that AMD Ryzens are kicking it, so any suggestions about the CPU would be considered!

Here is the my PcPartPIcker build. I would like to spend around 500-600$ on this build and wait till the end of this year to hop into a new GPU (if needed for the use I'll be giving to this build).

i3 Build

Thanks a lot for all the help!

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
System Name V!per
Display(s) ASUS
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5600x / Intel i5-4200U
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550-Plus / Lenovo MB
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR 3800 / 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6900XT / Intel HD 4400
Storage 2.5TB SSDs + 4TB HDD / Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Display(s) 34" LG Ultrawide / 12.5 " 1080p IPS Touchscreen
Case Fractal Design R6 / Lenovo X240
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W / Lenovo 40W
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Keyboard Dell Business Multimedia Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Chicken Invaders 5 @125+ FPS
I would go with Ryzen and something like this. I kept the same case and mATX Mobo assuming that you are set on

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Full stop!

AMD will be announcing Zen3 on October 8th. I'm not suggesting building with Zen3, but wait until you see the effect it has on market prices.

Going from an i5-2500K to an i3-10100 will not be much of a jump in performance.

My suggestion for the best bang for the buck (long term) gaming system, and yes, I realize it doubles your cost
i7-10700 (it's only $5 more than the i5-10600K) (You'll need a better CPU cooler) - alternative, i5-10400/10500
Z490 motherboard for the OC'ing potential https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-10500/20.html
RAM is at an all time low cost. Get 32 GB!

Case fancier than yours
System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
not if you plant to play on ultra settings
depends, if it's a cheap TN panel doubtful the game would "look" better
None of the monitors it my link uses a TN panel. Some of them are cheap, but not TN.

System Name V!per
Display(s) ASUS
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Well I choose an Micro ATX board since I never fully use the other ports and it looks nice. If there’s a cheaper build with an ATX board and a Midtower case, that would be my pick.

Waiting for the new AMD series might actually make me wait for the Black Friday deals.

Overall you guys recommend me to go for an i5 to play WOW?

Case fancier than yours
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Well I choose an Micro ATX board since I never fully use the other ports and it looks nice. If there’s a cheaper build with an ATX board and a Midtower case, that would be my pick.

Waiting for the new AMD series might actually make me wait for the Black Friday deals.

Overall you guys recommend me to go for an i5 to play WOW?
I'm not sure what settings & resolution you want to play at or if WoW is the only game you want to play or there are other games you want to play. I'm also not sure what upgrade path you may want (if any) so I'm not recommending anything. You can build out your PC to fit your needs and budget.

WoW prior to patch 8.2 would max out one core as much as possible while other cores would sit there idling away. Since patch 8.2, WoW does a better job of using multi-core CPUs. I would not call it optimized but it does a better job then some other games released in the last few years. Your best bet for WoW performance with a new CPU would start at 4c/8t CPUs like the Intel i3-10100 or Ryzen 3100x and the faster the CPU cores the better the performance (although both will do fine). CPUs with more cores and threads can be helpful in other more demanding games. AMD's 4th generation Ryzen CPUs will launch and depending on price and availability, they may drive down the cost of the current 3rd generation further down. I don't see them having a major impact on Intel CPU prices due to their perceived "performance".

With new high end GPUs coming out soon from Nvidia/AMD, I would not purchasing anything above the Nvidia 1660 super or AMD 5600XT unless it was heavily discounted. Ray tracing in WoW SL takes a heavy toll on GPUs but if you are not interested in ray tracing, something like the nvidia 1660 super (or AMD equivalent) will give you lv10 1080p 75fps+. The RTX2060 (or AMD equivalent) will do the same at 1440p. For 60 FPS you can drop down a tier in GPU performance. For ray tracing or high refresh monitors you would need to step up in performance to 2060 super & 2070 super levels (or equivalent new GPU) and work your way up for higher FPS.

You can use TPU review performance summaries and Tom's CPU & GPU hierarchy charts to see equivalent or higher performance PC parts. Happy hunting and building.

Last edited:
System Name V!per
Display(s) ASUS
I'm not sure what settings & resolution you want to play at or if WoW is the only game you want to play or there are other games you want to play. I'm also not sure what upgrade path you may want (if any) so I'm not recommending anything. You can build out your PC to fit your needs and budget.

Tbh I'll be more than fine playing WoW @ 1080p, but I would love to play full details @60FPS. I would love to buy a 144Hz monitor (I'm still deciding between the AOC C24G1 and the MSI Optix G24C4) I don't play any other games and the rest of the things that I do like AUTOCAD and some Illustrator will probably perform more than fine.

I would love to know if I can play with these settings using the GTX1060 or the RX580 that I already have. If not, I would jump to a GTX1660 Super as you recommend me.

Case fancier than yours
Tbh I'll be more than fine playing WoW @ 1080p, but I would love to play full details @60FPS. I would love to buy a 144Hz monitor (I'm still deciding between the AOC C24G1 and the MSI Optix G24C4) I don't play any other games and the rest of the things that I do like AUTOCAD and some Illustrator will probably perform more than fine.

I would love to know if I can play with these settings using the GTX1060 or the RX580 that I already have. If not, I would jump to a GTX1660 Super as you recommend me.

I assume the CPU you would use is the i3 from your link above or something similar in performance.
1080p 60FPS on level 10 hardware settings is doable in Battle of Azeroth with a GTX1060 or RX580 (the Nvidia should give a small advantage because WoW tends to like Intel & Nvidia but no real world difference). At 1440p you can do 60FPS on level 7 hardware setting.

Based on what I found in PTR for Shadowlands (and remember it's not fully optimized so FPS should be better once live) and what I have seen others players post, expect to see about a 15% hit on FPS in the new zones on lv 10. For ray- tracing, players are seeing FPS hits of 25-40% depending on zone and activity.

Remember #1, your FPS will vary based on activity (raids, pvp, major populated cities, etc.,). My FPS will dip from 100+ down to the high 50's sometimes and I have eight cores @ 4.9ghz.

Remember #2, WoW will introduce target FPS (you opt into it) and change settings accordingly to keep your FPS steady. Not sure if it will be ready for SL and how well it will work.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
System Name V!per
Display(s) ASUS
Mate, thanks a lot!

So the final build, i5 9400F which seems to be in a good price. Not sure why PC Part Picker throws me a warning about compatibility between the CPU and that MOBO.

i5

Also, there are like 5 MSI monitors around the same prices. I took the 165Hz refresh rate model, but is there any real difference between them?

Thanks a lot mate!

Case fancier than yours
Mate, thanks a lot!

So the final build, i5 9400F which seems to be in a good price. Not sure why PC Part Picker throws me a warning about compatibility between the CPU and that MOBO.

i5

Also, there are like 5 MSI monitors around the same prices. I took the 165Hz refresh rate model, but is there any real difference between them?

Thanks a lot mate!
You may need to flash the bios on that Mobo to use the 9400, depending on what version of the Mobo they ship you.

If you live near a microcenter you can find better prices on CPUs. Right now the market is a bit crazy with supply and price.

Not sure what other monitor models you are looking at but things like panel type, speakers, various ports, g-sync are some of the things that will impact price.

Last edited:
With many PC components at ridiculous prices, I can't recommend a build till at least Thanksgiving ... maybe until February, especially in US.... pandemic shortages, extra transportation costs, labor shortages, tariffs. As far as what platform to build on, if there's a convincing argument for a gaming box that isn't based on the 10400F, I haven't heard it. Zen 3 next months, but matching that is gonna be a big ask ... it will drive down prices either way.

I find that "similarly equipped" micro ATX boards are more expensive than ATX... check chipset, sound and LAN subsystems. Or the ATX board may have extra features like WiFi and be like $3-5 more . AX cases far easier to work in and they run cooler.

As you might expect monitor quality of proportional to price. The best IPS monitors do look better than the best TN monitors, but that doesn't mean a $200 IPS is anywhere near as good as a $200 TN. A 1440p worth investing in w/ IPS panel and "gaming specs will run you $500

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Keep the GTX 1060 it has better driver support other than that your system seems fine
Stop regurgitating the same crap, 580 driver support is fine and has been for years, not to mention its faster than a 1060