• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build, are these temperatures good?

eightclicknine

Hey all, i am pretty much finished with my new build, and i have been looking at some temps, wondering if they look good, or could be better with what i have. From what ive read it seems normal.
Asrock z77 extreme 4
ivy bridge i5 3550k
antec 300 mid tower
evo 212
no video card in yet

at the bios, cpu is 34 Celsius, mobo is 34 Celsius
While running, cores 0, 2, and 3 are around 39 Celsius, core 1 is about 37 Celsius
More in depth tests to come once i actually get my new hdd in, and a new copy of windows installed.

But how do these temps look? what can i do to improve upon them?
Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
System Name ( . Y . )
Everything looks normal to me.
Do you have stock cooler?

Those temperatures seem reasonable, given two assumptions:
1) Environmental temperature is about 78F or 25C (rough ballpark).
2) The sensors are working correctly.

There are a couple of ways to further decrease temperature:
1) Add additional fans to cool your CPU VRM and PCH. These will be the hottest two motherboard components.
2) Lap the CPU and heatsink. This voids warranties, so beware!
3) Replace TIM on coolers and components below heatsinks on the motherboard. This is good if a poor job was done by manufacturers, though is only likely to change temperature a few degrees at absolute most.
4) Go for a sealed loop water cooler. They are more expensive, but offer several benefits; those benefits are extended warranties, better performance, ability to set radiators farther away from hot components, and decreased noise. Your actual experience with these benefits is very likely going to vary, but it is a real option.
5) Mildly underclocking components. It may be a sin to mention it here, but underclocking may decrease temperatures slightly. This is unlikely to be what you are searching for, but needs to be mentioned.

Otherwise, kudos on the new build!

eightclicknine

Thanks guys, i will try doing some full load tests soon and post results.
The room temperature is pretty high in that particular room, i would say around 80 F normally, AC doesnt work too well.

eightclicknine

Hey guys, i got a chance to run the burntest against my build.
I threw a generic 500 gb 7200 rpm drive in, w/ win 7 pro x64
I have a screenshot of the results above.

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
the temps are fine and normal, are you planning on OC'ing?

eightclicknine

I might down the road. I was however advised that the i5 i have isnt the best for OC, so i may upgrade to the i7. For now i just want a standard system for gaming and daily use. I still need to purchase the video card.

System Name Gearbox || Server
Processor i5 3570K @ 4.0Ghz || E8400 @ Stock 3Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 || Gigabyte EP41-UD3L
Cooling Stock || Stock
Memory 8GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 @ 1600mhz || 4GB Kingston Value DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270X Direct CU II TOP @ 1120/1500 || N/A
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || 1TB WD Green, 2TB WD Green, 3TB WD Red
Display(s) HP x23 LED 23" Full HD Panel
Case Corsair 200R || Open-Air
Audio Device(s) Audioengine D1 + Logitech Z623/Audio Technica ATH-M50 || N/A
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650 W || Antec Neo Eco 450 W
Software Windows 8.1 Update 3 Pro 64 || Ubuntu Server 14.04 64
Not bad for a fairly entry level cooler. Usually I'd suggest lapping the base of the cooler but it looks a bit too difficult with the exposed heatpipes on the cooler. Make sure you use good quality thermal paste, the stuff that comes in the box is adequate but not the best most of the time.

Edit: Didn't read. lilhasselhoffer pretty much covered everything lol

eightclicknine

Thanks! Is there a better cooler you would recommend?
i opted for arctic silver 5 as opposed to the standard paste that comes with the cooler.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Your temps are completely fine.

Now for me I don't like anything over 50C for the CPU. even my power hungry Q6600Stays under 50C but I got about 6+ fans in my computer Temps at idle are around 35C

eightclicknine

Excellent,
First time with the ivy bridge setup, and i just want to make sure everything looks normal. I do have two case fans currently running at medium, in addition to that monster fan on the 212. Not sure if it matters, but my PSU is a thermaltake 750w

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
Your temps seem fine.... I will point out that Ivy bridge is a little warmer then the past few gens of Intel CPU's. So what you are experiencing is normal.
While the i5 3550K is a warm cpu the temps are still cooler then a stock i7 3770k so be thankful for that. :)
If you want to improve temps even more..... and go for maybe some overclocking in the future.... I suggest water cooling something like a XSPC RASA 750 or a better heatsink something like a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. Yes I understand you already have a Hyper 212 EVO but..... that cooler will not give you the temps you are expecting to get. (Not that it is a bad cooler . It is just not strong enough to get high overclocks with Ivy bridge.)
I will say on the good news front..... Ivy Bridge seems to be a really resistant CPU. I have had mine up to 5 ghz (with water cooling) and temps up to 84 c while stress testing and I have noticed no cpu degradation. So while the temps are not as good as Sandy Bridge.... it seems the architecture is stronger and more resistant to High temps. I have seen others on air push their's beyond 95c (While stress testing) and their CPU is still going strong. As long as you don't keep the CPU at those temps 24/7 (Just while stress testing) I would say don't be afraid to push your new CPU. It can handle it. I also say your temps are fine.... but you can get better if you like.

eightclicknine

Thanks, looking at those options its seems the evo is pretty good for the $$.
Part of why i started the thread came from observing my temps on my sandybridge work pc.

I will look into that cooler nonetheless, thanks for the input!

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
Thanks, looking at those options its seems the evo is pretty good for the $$.
Part of why i started the thread came from observing my temps on my sandybridge work pc.

I will look into that cooler nonetheless, thanks for the input!

Oh it defiantly is very good for the money don't get me wrong...... but it's like this..... you don't buy a Honda to get Lamborghini speeds..... you buy the Lamborghini. The Honda will do you just fine... and it is great for the money. But if you want the performance you have to pay for it.

I hope that doesn't sound like an insult..... it's just the way it works :toast:

*Added*
Sandy Bridge Temps are going to be much lower. Yes.... your temps are what you should be getting for Ivy Bridge. You are doing great and so is your CPU :)

Last edited:

eightclicknine

Thanks! Yeah i completely understand. My research landed on the evo 212 as a great starter for this build.
And my honda does get me by just fine =)
I really appreciate the input, soon i will have a velociraptor drive, and will be looking into a video card. What would you suggest to keep everything running smoothly? I have been looking into the EVGA cards.

System Name Cogito Ergo Switch
Processor i7 3930K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Custom Water (CPU/MB/GPU Blocks, 420+240rads PP)
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133 9-11-10-27 @ 2380 9-10-10-28
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB SLI @ 1344core/7648mem + EVGA 650Ti PhysX
Storage Samsung 830 256GB SSD (Boot) + 1TB WD10EZEX (Games/Apps) + 1TB WD10EALX (Prog) + 2x 320GB WD/HGST
Display(s) Dell U2412HM + U2312HM + 2x P2212Hbe + Viewsonic 21.5" 1680x1050
Case NZXT Switch 810 White - MODDED
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-Express
Power Supply NZXT HALE90 850W - Custom Sleeved Cables (White, No Heatshrink)
Software Windows7 Pro x64
Those are great temps for IVB in my opinion. However, it does seem to be the load temps that become an issue, so I would make a few suggestions if you don't mind...

- Installing a 2nd fan on the CM 212 heatsink so you have a "push/pull" setup may be worth a few degrees, not so much benefit @ idle but definitely at load. You could also upgrade to a stronger single fan or even 2x stronger fans for better heat dissipation (look for at least 3.5-4mmHg static pressure, and maybe 60-70cfm or more)
- Lapping the heatsink base can help, and with direct-touch heatpipes the thicker TIMs seem to be preferable (Antec NanoDiamond stuff is one of the thickest I have used; hard to work with but great results)
- Seriously consider one of those RAM coolers that blow down onto the DIMMs, as they will also blow onto the VRMs and help cool them (DDR3 doesn't need much cooling but it's an easy way, and good looking way, to drop VRM temps a few degrees)
- CASE AIRFLOW! I have found that the case's airflow can make or break a build, and I would suggest filling every possible fan spot with good, high quality fans and doing so in a way that enhances the airflow (i.e. Front/bottom fans for intake, rear/top for exhaust, side for intake if available, and try to have a very slightly positive pressure if possible but only by a few cfm; so if you have 200cfm exhaust total, aim for 205 intake).
- A High-Quality PCI slot fan can do wonders for Multi-GPU rigs especially if the cards exhaust into the case. Basic, have an exhausting PCI fan for such a scenario, and an intake fan for the opposite. Lian Li makes a nice dual-fan model that is IMO the absolute best looking on the market.

Hope this helps even a little bit. Remember, for every 10C you drop the operating temperature of components, you double their life expectancy!