• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build - General ?'s / Blue Tooth Audio sound issues. Long

Obligatory specs of Entirely new build

Asus TUF Gaming With Wi-fi. (Disabled in Bios by me because I don't need it for internet. I prefer the faster speeds of a hard cable.)
Blutooth, etc, I am quite certain ARE ENABLED in the bios..... 3700x AMD CPU

Fresh install of Windows 10 on a Samsung EVO 970 m.2 drive. (at PCIE 4x, stupid fast) < no issues at all. Smooth Sailing except for one "odd" issue but with windows system itself. 100% software. I'm positive. What it does > While installing a fresh Windows 10 from a USB Drive, you know it gets to the point in the install where it wants you to enter your product key or skip or activate later, etc..... Right? RIGHT THERE at that step if I enter my product key it will not register. Windows says it's no good. No bueno. So, I am forced to skip it and let the installer finish installing the OS........

Weird part > Once the OS is up and running and I'm in normal desktop and we're definitely alive and kicking inside our new machine......I can literally go to the "Enter your Product Key" section of Windows 10 and enter the SAME EXACT CODE I was using ..... and it accepts it. Genuine. No issues. And the weird part is > YES, I ASSURE YOU I KNOW FOR A FACT THIS PARTICULAR Product key is 100% legit. No backwoods torrent file with shady crap, etc...... This is legit 100% legal legit key. Weird issue. WTF is that?????? Please somebody answer me that.

Moving on. So I'm trying to connect a set of wireless Bluetooth earbuds up to the new system. I set my buds to "SIGNAL" for other crap...... I tell windows to Look for signal. It finds the signal, I carry on with the obvious steps and on screen, there are no errors, no weirdness. Nothing. It behaves precisely as it should LOOK in the software.......the audio does briefly connect but it sounds strained....and very garbled....and then transitions off into something I can only describe as data produced "noise" ....

A complete "Forget device, restart, reboot" and doing the same with Buds should reset everything. Try again. Same steps. Same results.

WTF is going on? This is a new bios to me so if anyone has any suggestions, been there done that, and got a T-shirt and can help me, I'd really be grateful.

Thank you my peeps. Almost forgot > Gskill Ripjaws V - The 2x8 CL 16 sticks. 16GB total. YES, installed in slot 2 and 4 , not 1 and 2. (?? Just..why?) .... And yes, DIMMS were hand picked straight from ASUS QVL.

So far, very few issues. Been smooth sailing. Just need a little guidance on getting up to speed with these, I'm positive, "kinks", like we all have to do with any new build.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Probably Windows hadn't installed some drivers or something during the setup. Don't worry about it.

Bluetooth audio is generally a shitshow and Windows makes it even worse. You can try this answer https://superuser.com/a/925585/56228, the other answers may work if that one does not. If you want guaranteed good quality wireless audio, buy a headset with a separate USB wireless dongle.

Probably Windows hadn't installed some drivers or something during the setup. Don't worry about it.

Bluetooth audio is generally a shitshow and Windows makes it even worse. You can try this answer https://superuser.com/a/925585/56228, the other answers may work if that one does not. If you want guaranteed good quality wireless audio, buy a headset with a separate USB wireless dongle.
Good advice, but I hope nobody still try to buy good quality wireless audio. Because there is no good quality wireless audio.

Good advice, but I hope nobody still try to buy good quality wireless audio. Because there is no good quality wireless audio.

That's a bold claim. I'm interested to learn why you think that or know that to be true.

Interesting. I had a pair of "good" ones that came with the usb thing but it was not a dongle. Just a small usb plug in. Beautiful audio. (IMHO) I got the headset wet and broke them.

But the interesting part to me is you said "guaranteed good quality audio" > go that route. So that must mean if say a motherboard has bluetooth , and windows 10 don't play nicely together for SOME reason.

Windows 10 can recognize a little USB thing, interpret it perfectly and good audio is achieved. The shitshow must be somewhere on the motherboard / and for whatever reason, Windows 10 does recognize it's automatically and it should work but it doesn't.

There ought to be a way to force Windows 10 to "forget" the Capabilities of X device: X = USB capability on mobo ...... shut down everything. Restart. And then let Windows 10 "auto detect" the USB capability and see it as any other USB stick......

Where is the problem? How hard can it be? Lol.

Another question: After going through the device manager and looking at each device / old school style and checking the driver dates of various devices that Windows is using to run things........ I'm noticing A LOT of awfully "old" drivers. I mean ones dated like 2009 etc. (Pretty sure on that)

My point is, after any new build, I immediately updated and continue to update Bios, Chipset drives, etc....like a good boy. I keep up with my new stuff. Seems like I should be seeing more updated driver dates for many of the things that Windows just automatically takes care of........ thoughts on that?

That's a bold claim. I'm interested to learn why you think that or know that to be true.

Interesting. I had a pair of "good" ones that came with the usb thing but it was not a dongle. Just a small usb plug in. Beautiful audio. (IMHO) I got the headset wet and broke them.

But the interesting part to me is you said "guaranteed good quality audio" > go that route. So that must mean if say a motherboard has bluetooth , and windows 10 don't play nicely together for SOME reason.

Windows 10 can recognize a little USB thing, interpret it perfectly and good audio is achieved. The shitshow must be somewhere on the motherboard / and for whatever reason, Windows 10 does recognize it's automatically and it should work but it doesn't.

There ought to be a way to force Windows 10 to "forget" the Capabilities of X device: X = USB capability on mobo ...... shut down everything. Restart. And then let Windows 10 "auto detect" the USB capability and see it as any other USB stick......

Where is the problem? How hard can it be? Lol.

Another question: After going through the device manager and looking at each device / old school style and checking the driver dates of various devices that Windows is using to run things........ I'm noticing A LOT of awfully "old" drivers. I mean ones dated like 2009 etc. (Pretty sure on that)

My point is, after any new build, I immediately updated and continue to update Bios, Chipset drives, etc....like a good boy. I keep up with my new stuff. Seems like I should be seeing more updated driver dates for many of the things that Windows just automatically takes care of........ thoughts on that?
Ok. Tell me how you can transfer flac lossless by bt? You dont know anything about music if you are even asking that.

Ok. Tell me how you can transfer flac lossless by bt? You dont know anything about music if you are even asking that.

I'm afraid the lack of context on a pc screen lost some translation.......

I am 47 yrs old. I NEVER claimed to know anything about music.

Indeed, my original statement word for word stands: The claim you made was bold. That signaled to me that you knew precisely what the hell you're talking about. I never doubted or wanted to argue with you about it for one second. I merely asked if you would share what you think you know , or definitely know........ and in some ways you did by completely misunderstanding my intentions. It's clear you know what you're talking about. You MUST to make a claim like you did.

I'm old. I wanted to learn. Genuinely. If you'd like to take another swing at answering my question, in a technical sense, which is what I was after (1+1=2) math of it......I'd love to hear it.

To acknowledge your question of "how" I can transfer FLAC lossless by BT? ----- I would first like to point out that it is my basic understand that the FLAC -- must be the vessel or whatever the data is carried in. Lossless I am familiar with. The concept of capturing the highest possible audio recording AND THEN, being able to reproduce it into another format, perhaps a smaller vessel with NO LOSS of quality to the audio. Correct? Fair enough. And BT is short for Blue Tooth.

To answer your question though : I don't care. I never did. But I am VERY WILLING to learn from you as to why I should care. Educate me. Bring me up to speed. I get the gist of it...... give me the tech problems.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613

That's a USB dongle.

Bluetooth and audio quality are mutually exclusive, because Bluetooth was never designed, and hence is not optimised, for audio transmission/reception. It's worse on Windows because Windows is more susceptible to latency spikes than phones or other operating systems. They supposedly made massive improvements with it in the latest Bluetooth 5.2 but of course, nothing supports that version yet.

tl;dr all drivers shipped with Windows are dated 2006-06-21 as a way to ensure they are last in the priority list when Windows is looking for an updated driver for your device. If you've tried to update a driver and it can't find a more recent one than 2006-06-21, that just means the driver shipped with Windows is the most recent version.

That's a USB dongle.

Bluetooth and audio quality are mutually exclusive, because Bluetooth was never designed, and hence is not optimised, for audio transmission/reception. It's worse on Windows because Windows is more susceptible to latency spikes than phones or other operating systems. They supposedly made massive improvements with it in the latest Bluetooth 5.2 but of course, nothing supports that version yet.

tl;dr all drivers shipped with Windows are dated 2006-06-21 as a way to ensure they are last in the priority list when Windows is looking for an updated driver for your device. If you've tried to update a driver and it can't find a more recent one than 2006-06-21, that just means the driver shipped with Windows is the most recent version.

Understood. So, more questions:

Example: You install your new 10 million dollar graphics card. WINDOWS will install "A" driver that will work and display the thing. But we both know you won't get all the neat toys and features UNLESS you install NVIDIA's / AMD's drivers for that exact card.

Question: What other pieces of hardware should I do this on? Mobo chipset drivers certainly, but what else? I mean I suppose we all get a to a point where everything just works and we get settled in etc and tend to forget about all this stuff.

On the other hand, I just built this beast and want it 100% optimized for right now and I'm still learning how to do that on AMD / this specific build. Thanks for any more knowledge and what you shared thus far.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Understood. So, more questions:

Example: You install your new 10 million dollar graphics card. WINDOWS will install "A" driver that will work and display the thing. But we both know you won't get all the neat toys and features UNLESS you install NVIDIA's / AMD's drivers for that exact card.

Question: What other pieces of hardware should I do this on? Mobo chipset drivers certainly, but what else? I mean I suppose we all get a to a point where everything just works and we get settled in etc and tend to forget about all this stuff.

On the other hand, I just built this beast and want it 100% optimized for right now and I'm still learning how to do that on AMD / this specific build. Thanks for any more knowledge and what you shared thus far.

Keeping drivers up-to-date is something that will probably always be a royal pain in the ass, sadly. Windows 10 at least has finally allowed manufacturers to push driver updates through Windows Update https://www.web24.news/u/2020/03/new-process-for-driver-update-via-windows-update-is-now-active.html so you'd just magically get them, but my guess is that this will only allow WHQL drivers which means not the latest and greatest.

Intel has a wonderful app called Driver and Support Assistant that pretty much automates this process, but it obviously only works for Intel hardware. (I run it on my AMD system because I'm using an Intel WiFi card.)

Most motherboard vendors supply driver updater applications with their boards, but these will obviously only target drivers for that motherboard, they will only recommend drivers the manufacturer has tested with the board (which are generally a few versions behind), they often don't work properly, and they're almost always bloatware.

There are all-singing all-dancing driver detector/updater programs available from third parties e.g. https://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206 but I have issues trusting these apps. Most want you to upgrade to a paid tier of questionable value, and as with all third-party programs there's always the risk that the company behind them gets sold to China, or compromised by hackers, and starts delivering malware.

My personal method is just to watch the front pages of a few hardware news sites, because they generally post driver updates as news items (TPU and Guru3D are particularly good at this). TPU also has a useful feature that will send you an email whenever a driver they host gets updated (e.g. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/intel-integrated-graphics-drivers/ - the yellow "Get notified" button) but TPU sadly only hosts a handful of drivers. (I've put in a request for more drivers - https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/more-driver-downloads-please.269796/)

The other thing you should keep updated with, particularly on AMD systems, is the BIOS, and unfortunately there's generally no way to get notified of this except via the aforementioned manufacturer bloatware. You can use a service that monitors web pages to keep track of when the BIOS page changes (implying an update) but unfortunately said services are generally also trying to get money out of you.

Keeping drivers up-to-date is something that will probably always be a royal pain in the ass, sadly. Windows 10 at least has finally allowed manufacturers to push driver updates through Windows Update https://www.web24.news/u/2020/03/new-process-for-driver-update-via-windows-update-is-now-active.html so you'd just magically get them, but my guess is that this will only allow WHQL drivers which means not the latest and greatest.

Intel has a wonderful app called Driver and Support Assistant that pretty much automates this process, but it obviously only works for Intel hardware. (I run it on my AMD system because I'm using an Intel WiFi card.)

Most motherboard vendors supply driver updater applications with their boards, but these will obviously only target drivers for that motherboard, they will only recommend drivers the manufacturer has tested with the board (which are generally a few versions behind), they often don't work properly, and they're almost always bloatware.

There are all-singing all-dancing driver detector/updater programs available from third parties e.g. https://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206 but I have issues trusting these apps. Most want you to upgrade to a paid tier of questionable value, and as with all third-party programs there's always the risk that the company behind them gets sold to China, or compromised by hackers, and starts delivering malware.

My personal method is just to watch the front pages of a few hardware news sites, because they generally post driver updates as news items (TPU and Guru3D are particularly good at this). TPU also has a useful feature that will send you an email whenever a driver they host gets updated (e.g. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/intel-integrated-graphics-drivers/ - the yellow "Get notified" button) but TPU sadly only hosts a handful of drivers. (I've put in a request for more drivers - https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/more-driver-downloads-please.269796/)

The other thing you should keep updated with, particularly on AMD systems, is the BIOS, and unfortunately there's generally no way to get notified of this except via the aforementioned manufacturer bloatware. You can use a service that monitors web pages to keep track of when the BIOS page changes (implying an update) but unfortunately said services are generally also trying to get money out of you.

Understood every word. From the logic to the experience. Yep. Totally agree with all your analysis. It's funny you mention each mobo tends to have their own bloatware that will / should keep you up to date for YOUR mobo. Asus's is apparently named ARMORY or something similar...... Funny story to show your point precisely.......

I have ARMORY installed. I DID use it to install some new chipset drivers, etc....there was some things I didn't want of course so I didn't install those. Point is > A few days later Asus Official Website throws up a brand new bios....... So I decide to cross check their ARMORY updater thing...... no new bios's found. (Facepalm)

So I get it. Bottom line, we gotta keep up with our own stuff as it were. Us OCD tech perfectionists anyway. Got it. I'm going to uninstall that ARMORY thing for that very reason. (Do you disagree?)

Another ? ---- New build. OS on M.2 drive. I've got TONS of other drives that I plan to install various other operating systems on. (Dual boot system) ----- I KNOW how to do it.....what I am shaky on is WHAT TO DO FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE with this current "boot loader" or whatever file it is..........
That is loading my current system perfectly......

How do I make a backup copy of THAT so I down the road if I decide to nuke everything, I can always just replace / swap the bootloader with THIS VIRGIN one......so windows will forget or never even know I tried different OS's on other drives.?

Edit for clarification. I do not care if Windows 10 "knows" if there other OS's installed on other various drives. MY 100 % concern is once you start with dual installs etc, you start messing with the bootloader or whatever file or kernel it is........ I want to be able to back that up. Right now. And be able to replace it at the drop of a hat in case things go wacky going forward.

Last edited:
Processor 8350K
Motherboard Asrock k6 z379
Cooling Water
Memory Crucial
Video Card(s) GTX970
Storage M.2
Case Custom
I'm using Avantree DG60 "Soundcard".

Just make sure you have Bluetooth 5.0 hedaphones.

You can even use Corsair iCUE drivers so set the transmitter as 7.1 sound card to use with HeSuVi virtual 3D headphone sound.

Correct. Answer all along. I disabled "on board" mobo support for Blutooth. Restarted Windows and plugged in ....essentially the dongle I used in my old system to provide it BT. Now I have a pair of audio BT buds plugged in and it's fine. So on board mobo blutooth can't handle this huh.....? 2020.... really?

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
Was the driver for your motherboard's integrated Bluetooth updated? The integrated bluetooth on my B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC works like a charm.

Glad to hear you've found a workaround.