• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build, help needed!

jobber33

First, a small introduction!
My name is Adam, I joined this forum exclusively for help from a knowledgeable crowd on the topic of building a PC. This will disgust most people here, but I drifted away from PCs and PC gaming around 2003-4. Nowadays I just use my iPhone for anything Internet related, and any and all gaming gets done on my Xbox.

Fortunately, it's tax season! And a decent refund means I'm going to spoil myself and build a system. But honestly, I've been away for so long that it's like a whole different world now. I started with buying a pre built rig, but soon decided that I wanted to put my own together and not get stuck with integrated graphics and not be able to play anything at all.

I'm not sure if you could call what I want a "Gaming PC". I won't be looking at many FPS. I want to be able to run DayZ and some MMOs, other than that I'd just want everyday browsing and streaming, movies, music, ect.

I'm hoping someone can list a good build between $600-$800 CAD.

I have a ThermalTake case (rough shape but doesn't need to go), old PSU (Antec 430w sound right? I could get in for a closer look if needed), and a 51" TV that I wanted to use for a monitor (HDMI output is a must).

I am confident in being able to put it together, I'm not that noob, but honestly how many parts have been put on the market since 2003?? I'm afraid ill end up wasting money on incompatible parts or just screw it up all together. Looking forward to hear back from you guys.

EDIT: I've been nosing around the Internet for the past 3 weeks or so on the topic. I've read similar posts to mine but the price range was always wrong. $900 is too much, $600 seems to be skimping. $850 absolute max!

EDIT: Also, I've signed up to Newegg.ca. If I could manage to buy the parts I need at BestBuy or something for a little extra then I'd do that instead of waiting for things to be shipped. I'm all about instant gratification :p

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
So your in Canada?

jobber33

Yezzir! Newfoundland, Canada to be specific. That's why I listed BestBuy as my only source to buy parts off the shelf for a decent price. My options are pretty limited but I really really don't want to wait for shipping.

jobber33

Hum, did I leave out some info or something? Or do I just stink?

I've tried newegg.ca but I always come up to about $1100 Canadian. This is too much, and I'm not sure what to skimp on.

I've been trying to pick sense out of threads (everywhere) comparing video cards and what not but it usually just turns out to be a pissing match with everyone agreeing to disagree because their opinion is better :p

Would someone be able to list a decent gaming rig for $850? Should I bother with SSD? Probably not since I'm on a budget, can do it later.
I have a 5x" Samsung smart tv and a tower, I need everything else.

I just want to be able to play DayZ, MMOs and watch shows/movies. Can someone help me before I spend this money??? Much appreciated. If its time for me to move to a different forum that would also be useful info ;)

Processor Intel i5-3570K
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory Kingston HyperX Genesis 2 x 4GB DDR3 1866
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon HD 7770
Storage Western Digital Black 500GB
Display(s) Philips 19" 190B4
Case Cooler Master Centurian 5 II
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
Power Supply Seasonic X-660
Software Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS
No overclocking assumed.

This is a reasonable general purpose system for the budget.

Priority given to components from Best Buy.

CPU: Intel i5-3330 here.

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7750 here.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M here.

RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC12800 here.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB here.

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX here.

PSU: Seasonic G-360 (SSR-360GP) here.

You don't need more than 300W for this system. Get a NEW PSU for your new build! Using an old PSU is not recommended on a new build as it may damage new components if the PSU is on it's way out.