1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build. Need guidance!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aceman.au, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    So my mother board is starting to die (sound card went today) and it's out of warranty. Time to move on to a new mobo and possibly other goodies. And I'm really not up to date on all the new stuff out there so I need some fresher minded people to run over this build I've got going and see if I got it right for once.

CPU: Either stick with my i7 3930k or upgrade to a i7 4930k.

Mobo: Move over to an ASUS x79-Deluxe Motherboard. Seems good enough for what I want to do. (Old one was an ASRock Fatality x79 pro)

RAM: Take the RAM from my current PC which is Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 or move onto something newer (the RAM is over a year old). I'm not sure on this.

HDD: Keeping my 512gb Samsung SSD of course. This is over a year old, should I replace it?

GPU: 2 x Powercolor 290 non-x. Keeping these too.

PSU: Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W Modular Power Supply. Still fairly new, don't need to touch this.

Case: Upgrading from my old dusty HAF-X (well over 2 years old, maybe even 3) to a Corsair Obsidian 900D, because reasons.

I brought the MOBO, RAM, SSD and CPU back in 2012 a month before Christmas and have used my PC just about every day since then. So please take age as well as wear and tear into account.

2. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Btw the I know the sound card is dead because when i run the test on my 7.1 headset Only the stereo speakers work and even then the audio is fudged. I tried a second headset and the audio works for a little bit but if I adjust the volume at all it fudges up and any bass causes the audio to break up also. I tried reinstalling the soft ware to no avail.

3. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    I dont see a point of upgrading to other CPU if you have already 3930K. and no point in buying a new mobo either. If I were you, I would just wait for the next for the X99 build. I think...

4. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Oof. Man that's a long time to wait without sound. But ok. I'll wait.

5. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should try getting your hands on a good PCI(e) sound card or a USB DAC and then transfer that over to a future build (X99?)

6. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Yes I'm getting a sound card. ASUS Phoebus.

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I personally wouldnt upgrade the motherboard or cpu for 5 years. Onboard sound is a value added feature that is just a cheap substitute for a quality sound card.