• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build 'no signal' (4850 red LED's flashing) help needed

Metalhead_jay

Processor AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770 UD3
Memory 2x OCZ Gold 1000mhz 2gb
Video Card(s) XFX 4850 1gb
Storage 320gb Western Digital
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Power Supply Corsair VX550w
Hey everyone, I received great help last time I posted on these forums so I hope I will get the same results this time :)

I have just built a new PC with components bought new off the internet (click on the left hand side to see the specs).

Now this is my first time building a computer, but I followed all of the manuals and all of the online guides I could find, and I am pretty sure I did everything right; however, when I came to turn on my computer for the first time, all of the fans started up fine but nothing was displayed on the monitor and no beeps were heard. I then noticed that 2 red LED's were flashing on my graphics card.

The graphics card is a XFX 4850 1gb. The two LED's that are flashing are the 'D1601' and 'D1602'. I have read on these forums and elsewhere that these mean 'external 12v fault' and 'over temperature protection enabled'. (That is if they are lit, mine are flashing every few seconds). Now that all seems to point toward lack of power to the graphics card.

My power supply is a corsair vx 550W, which if I am not mistaken is reliable and ample power for the PC I have built.

I know this problem has been on this forum a few times; however, I have tried all of the solutions and they all turn out the same results, the fans come on, the LED's flash and nothing comes on my monitor.

Here is everything I have (and haven't) tried so far:
- checked and double checked power connections to everything, especially graphics card and motherboard. They are fine and tightly in place, nothing changed.
- seated correctly, and reseated the graphics card in place. It was also fine and nothing changed.
- tried every possible combination of power to the graphics card, including 2 different 6-pin pci-e power cables included with my PSU, and the 6-pin to dual 4-pin adapter that came with the graphics card. Nothing changed.
- checked the motherboard wasn't shorting on the case by removing it and placing on the motherboard box, keeping the graphics card, processor, power supply and ram connected. Same results once again.
- plugged into a different monitor to check it was not my monitor that was the problem. Again 'no signal' was displayed etc.
- plugged cable into both DVI slots in case the one I was previously using was faulty. Same results.
- I have not tried the graphics card/PSU/motherboard in another system as I do not own one, and have no way of accessing one.
- I have not tried another video card as I do not own one, and have no way of accessing one.

Please help, I am dying to play on my new PC :D

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance,
Jay. :toast:

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You are right, the PSU should be capable of powering your system (unless it is bad).
Have you tried another video card? That is where I would start.
Maybe there is a problem with the 4850

Metalhead_jay

No, I have not tried another video card as again I do not have one and have no way of getting one.
Thats what I'm thinking, but I really hope it isn't that, and that I have just missed something simple/there is an easy fix.

You really have no choice but get a videocard to test the system,find somebody who has a pci card laying around,it should be pretty easy to come by,check your neighbors and friends.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Your system should handle the 4850 fine. With the two lights flashing on the card, I'm pretty sure the card is bad.

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 3.40GHz (400x8.5)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x Crucial Ballistix DDR2 2GB 4:5 @ 500MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560Ti 1GB TOP Edition
Storage Crucial M4 128GB SSD + WD Black 500GB WD5001AALS
Display(s) Samsung P2370HD @ 1920x1080 60Hz
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24-bit w/ Creative Inspire T6060 5.1 200W
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
Software Windows 7 Professional Edition SP1 64-bit
If you cant test another card in your machine, take the 4850 and put it into someone elses machine to see what happens (obviously they need a capable psu)

Metalhead_jay

Ok, well thanks for all of the suggestions but I guess all I can do is go to the PC shop down the road and ask if they have a spare video card/system they could test my system/card with. I will hopefully go tomorrow, and I hope they wont charge :D

Keep the advice coming please :)

Metalhead_jay

I took my rig to my local PC shop today, and we tested all of the components one by one in another computer. It turned out to be a faulty motherboard. I am submitting an RMA request and hopefully I will get it working with the new replacement.

Thanks for all of your help,
Jay.