• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build: Replacing Q6600

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
There's a lot of "the sky is falling" in this thread lol.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
If you had a leak or a pump fail you'd feel the same way. I've had one of each. If hes running the system for 5-8 years and if he runs it 24/7 it may happen. Its an entirely avoidable risk. The temps a high end air cooler will give you are about the same.

edit: quick google search result.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2597777

It does happen. Its an entirely avoidable risk.

Last edited:
System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
It's not irrational at all. Shit happens. And to chance $2200 worth of hardware over a AIO cooler is not the smartest thing IMHO. Pumps die, seals fail, and while this may be uncommon, it's not unheard of. Personally, I tried AIO, and after my Corsair AIO unit's pump died in the first year, I went back to air cooling and never looked back. A high-end air cooler performs just as good as the AIO coolers. As for a inexpensive recommendation, I've been really impressed with Deep Cool's heatsinks, specifically the Assassin and Lucifer models. I know, WTF is with the names, but trust me, they are very good coolers.

Here's TPU's review of the Lucifer- https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Deepcool/Lucifer/

And where you can buy it- https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00RZ8DFDY/?tag=pcp0f-20
That happened to my Antec Kuhler 920. It took the board and cpu with it. After that I went back to air and I'm currently using a Noctua D15s. It's big but it does the job.

@ OP: How about changing the m.2 ssd to a regular one. I don't know if it's cheaper there but where I'm from I can get double the size fora reasonable extra amount. :)
I don't think the water coolers are worth it. If you buy an All in One it probably won't last 5-8 years. Pumps die and hoses and seals dry out and crack. I had an Asetek from a Cyberpower OEM last 5 years before it cracked and leaked. My Coolit H100i lasted 6 months before pump failed. If it were me I'd buy a real nice air cooler like the ones mentioned earlier such as Cry Orig R1, Noctua NHD15S, Phanteks PH-TC14 PE, Be Quiet Dark Rock etc. The beauty of the air cooler is nothing can go wrong. If a fan dies, it will still provide cooling.

That's 3 people that have posted issues with AIO units that could have been avoided by going with a high-end air heat sink. Get what you want, it's your computer. But just realize there is a risk in going with a AIO while there is no real performance gains over a high-end air heat sink.

System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
That's 3 people that have posted issues with AIO units that could have been avoided by going with a high-end air heat sink. Get what you want, it's your computer. But just realize there is a risk in going with a AIO while there is no real performance gains over a high-end air heat sink.

Does your deepcool assassin cover up your ram slots?

Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
The NH-D15S is designed to accommodate most ram. It accomodates up to 65mm ram height in single fan (though you could just offset the fan on the Y axis)
Tailored to provide superior RAM and PCIe compatibility, the NH-D15S is an asymmetrical single fan version of Noctua’s award-winning flagship model, the NH-D15. Thanks to its asymmetrical design, the NH-D15S clears the top PCIe slot on most µATX and ATX motherboards. At the same time, the single fan setup and recessed lower fins guarantee 100% RAM compatibility with memory modules of up to 65mm height. Users who have sufficient room can also upgrade the cooler with either a 120mm or round 140mm fan on the front fin stack for further improved performance in dual fan mode. Topped off with the trusted, pro-grade SecuFirm2™ multi-socket mounting system, Noctua’s proven NT-H1 thermal compound and full 6 years manufacturer’s warranty, the NH-D15S forms a complete premium quality solution that combines dual tower efficiency with excellent compatibility and flexible upgrade options.

I think you should get low profile ram if possible, a lot of ram companies are offering low profile ram nowadays and the large heatsinks on ram is entirely unnecessary.

For example, Corsair LPX which is listed as supported on your motherboards QVL memory list.
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3200MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0143UM4TC
CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

I would try to get Samsung ram if possible, some of these Corsair LPX use SKHynix. You'd want Revision 4.31. No idea how to ensure you get this though, probably everything is Hynix right now. By reputation, the Samsung are better quality. More of an imperative on AMD builds though.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Sometimes I think yes, but most of the times i'm feeling like it's a no. I have a blu-ray drive in my laptop and I think I can count on 1 hand how often I've actually placed discs in it. I'll end up booting into windows 10 from USB initially for the install and then end up downloading everything else online most likely.

I only asked because of the case, I was going to suggest the Fractal Design - Define S instead for the better airflow. But then I realized you already bought the case.

Alright due to availability and such here is what i'm looking at now. After a lot of reading i'm feeling pretty OK about water cooling now. Assuming everything is good i'll pick up these last parts tomorrow evening.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 5

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Liquid Coolers 360MM

GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

I'd be very careful with Gigabyte parts. Gigabyte has some of the worst customer service right now. There are several threads of people where they sent in a failed part and Gigabyte refused to honor the warranty because they claimed the part was physically damaged. And when my GTX970's fan failed, it took them almost 3 months to get me a working card. The first time they sent me my original card back claiming there was no problem. Then they just tried to send me the fan to replace it myself, and they sent me the wrong fan. Then they made me ship the card to them again, at my cost again, and then just kept the card for 2 months. Lying to me several times along the way, and finally admitting they were out of stock of my card and have been waiting for a month for more to come in from Asia. The lied again and said once they received the shipment they would immediately over-night me a replacement. And then shipped it UPS ground...

Agreed. Yes, AIO coolers can have issues. But the fact is most of them came in the early days when they first became popular. And, remember, this is a technology that was adapted from the server environment. That is where AseTek started their business. The fact is that the number of issues is an extremely minor number compared to the number of units in service. And in the early days, a lot of the issues were caused by companies either doing a poor job of copying AseTek or using AseTek's design and making it too cheap.

If you worry about a pump failure, it won't kill the system. The days of overheating processors killing systems is long gone. They build so many thermal protections into the CPU, motherboard, graphics card, PSU that overheats just don't kill systems anymore.

In the case of leaks, if you buy a AseTek unit from a reputable manufacturer like Corsair, the likely hood is extremely minor. Part of the early issues was people taking AseTek's design and making it too cheap, part of that cheapness was switching to rubber O rings, which were failing too often. AFAIK, every reputable manufacturer has switched back to using silicone O rings which don't dry out and don't fail like the rubber ones did.

That said, for a long term build, I'd still be on the fence about an AIO. Personally, I have 3 in 3 of my builds. I've have an H100i, an H80i, and an H110i GTX. The H100i was bought 4 years ago, and has run 24/7 ever since. But I'm not likely to put an AIO in a customers computer unless they request it. If the 1% risk is too much for you, then go with air cooling and the 0.1% risk of failure. There are plenty of capable air coolers out there. And if you are worried about RAM slots, get a single tower design, they almost never block RAM slots. The NH-U12S that I mentioned before performs within 2-5° of an H100. That isn't a temperature difference that is really going to affect you. Unless you are really pushing the edge of overclocks and voltages, the temp difference isn't going to hinder you. And you shouldn't be if you want the CPU to last, Intel CPUs do degrade.

Last edited:
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
I only asked because of the case, I was going to suggest the Fractal Design - Define S instead for the better airflow. But then I realized you already bought the case.

I'd be very careful with Gigabyte parts. Gigabyte has some of the worst customer service right now. There are several threads of people where they sent in a failed part and Gigabyte refused to honor the warranty because they claimed the part was physically damaged. And when my GTX970's fan failed, it took them almost 3 months to get me a working card. The first time they sent me my original card back claiming there was no problem. Then they just tried to send me the fan to replace it myself, and they sent me the wrong fan. Then they made me ship the card to them again, at my cost again, and then just kept the card for 2 months. Lying to me several times along the way, and finally admitting they were out of stock of my card and have been waiting for a month for more to come in from Asia. The lied again and said once they received the shipment they would immediately over-night me a replacement. And then shipped it UPS ground...
Gigabyte treated me poorly too, I'd do Asus or Asrock.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Alright I bought the ram and the Samsung 960 Pro 512GB. I'm picking things up as I catch them on sale, so the prices aren't actually accurate for any of the things i've bought so far.

CPU
Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor $489.99

CPU Cooler
Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler $79.95

Motherboard
ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $229.00

Memory
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $263.95

Storage
Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $309.99

Video Card
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card $949.99

Case
Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $127.99

Power Supply
Corsair - 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $199.99

Operating System
Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $116.75

Total: $2775.60

All that is left now is the CPU, CPU Cooler, Motherboard, Video Card, and my windows 10 license. I'm still all ears for advice otherwise i'm still moving in this path.

Just my two cents;

I mostly work with asrock mobos because of the price and I like them just fine but at equal cost I would go with Asus over them. I think techreport best sums up the big four mobo oems
  • Asus is the biggest of the four main motherboard makers. We think Asus boards have better Windows software and firmware than the competition, plus the most intelligent and reliable auto-overclocking functionality of the bunch. The company's firmware interface offers the best fan speed controls around, too. Some Asus motherboards ship with cushioned I/O shields and header adapters that make it much easier to connect finicky front-panel cabling. Overall, an Asus board should offer the most polished experience of the lot.
  • MSI's motherboards offer solid hardware paired with polished firmware and Windows software. The nicely-retooled fan controls in the firm's 9-series firmware have been carried over to its latest motherboards, though the company's auto-overclocking intelligence remains fairly conservative and somewhat rudimentary.
  • Gigabyte's recent motherboards are also a good choice, even if their auto-overclocking intelligence, firmware, and Windows software aren't quite up to par with Asus' or MSI's in this generation. The company's firmware fan controls are now about on par with Asus', but the rest of its firmware and Windows software utilities could still stand some extra polish. Some Gigabyte models ship with cushioned I/O shields and header adapters, too.
  • ASRock generally aims its products at more value-conscious buyers. ASRock boards typically offer a great hardware spec for the money. In our experience, however, ASRock's firmware and Windows software leave much to be desired. ASRock boards are appealing primarily for their budget price tags.
Noctua makes great coolers by in my opinion they over priced from what you can get from cryorig, phanteks or even the new FSP options and if you are not running cpu stress tests the difference is often little to nothing.

System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
The NH-D15S is designed to accommodate most ram. It accomodates up to 65mm ram height in single fan (though you could just offset the fan on the Y axis)

I think you should get low profile ram if possible, a lot of ram companies are offering low profile ram nowadays and the large heatsinks on ram is entirely unnecessary.

For example, Corsair LPX which is listed as supported on your motherboards QVL memory list.
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3200MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0143UM4TC
CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

I would try to get Samsung ram if possible, some of these Corsair LPX use SKHynix. You'd want Revision 4.31. No idea how to ensure you get this though, probably everything is Hynix right now. By reputation, the Samsung are better quality. More of an imperative on AMD builds though.

I actually have already bought the ram, which is Corsair LPX ram. Mine is the 3000mhz CL15 flavor.

The reason I switched from Asrock to Gigabyte is because i seem to have having trouble getting the Extreme4. It doesn't help me if no one has it in stock. At the start of the thread I was going with Asus motherboards but was steered away from them. For the time being I also need to connect via WIFI so i was looking at boards that had wireless built in. Getting an add-on card costs around $50.

Ok I've decided i'm going to buy the Deepcool Assassin 2. I don't think it will be an issue fitting it into the Define R5 and my ram is low clearance.

Just need to figure out a motherboard now.

Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2

One of the Fans is slightly over one of the RAM slots, but all I had to do was mount the fan slightly higher on the heat sink (we're talking 3-4 MM here). All four RAM slots are populated on my ASUS board.

Ok I've decided i'm going to buy the Deepcool Assassin 2. I don't think it will be an issue fitting it into the Define R5 and my ram is low clearance.

You won't be disappointed. And you are correct, the R5 can handle heat sinks up to 180 mm in height, and the Assassin 2 is 167 mm.

Last edited:
System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
Ok I bought the Assassin 2.

Now I just need to buy the Motherboard, CPU, GPU, and a copy of windows.... so close....

Thinking for the mobo:

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E GAMING

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 5

Either of those i can get tonight

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I would do an Asus board and the 8700K no reason to do anything differently. The quality drop complaint with asus still leaves a better board than Asus/MSI/GB in my opinion. I certainly do not see a single reason to even think of HEDT.

System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
I would do an Asus board and the 8700K no reason to do anything differently. The quality drop complaint with asus still leaves a better board than Asus/MSI/GB in my opinion. I certainly do not see a single reason to even think of HEDT.

Alright, I'm now sporting an 8700k, Asus z370-E and a Zotac Amp Extreme 1080 Ti.

And thus concludes the buying!

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
And my post should have read asrock/msi/gb not asus :roll:

System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
magibeg parts.JPEG
magibeg parts.JPEG

Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Lookin good!

System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
congrats on the new build, now update your system specs in your forum profile

System Name Not named