• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build with decent budget

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
Just something interesting I picked up now while watching some tech videos on motherboards. Gamers Nexus reckons not to use a 2700X in the Gigabyte AORUS Ultra motherboard

I would definitely go Aorus Gaming 7, Asus Crosshair VI, or Taichi ultimate for X470.

Z390 probably the Aorus Master being the best high end mobo when it comes to what you get for the money as far as VRM. The Z390 ultra is also pretty good from what I've read. The pro is probably fine but connectivity blows.

The Asus line really just comes down to how much you love their bios and aesthetics. That being said the Z390 Gene and Z390 Apex are both very good. I do like the Code but for what it cost I would never reccomended it to anyone unless they love the aesthetics.

The Z390 Taichi ultimate is very solid but not as good as the aorus master overall it does have pretty sweet ethernet though.

1. Its 90% a gaming rig and 10% video editing.
but also keep in mind that I'm not only buying for the now. I'm buying for the future too. I don't want to have to buy a new rig in 2 years time just to get more cores. Developers are finally starting to use more cores in their games which means that more cores will be needed.

2. I think you meant to say 9700K here as the 9900K is much more expensive. Correct?

3. Surely not if game developers are going to start taking more advantage of multi-core processors. With the release of 9900K evidently trying to compete with AMD's multicore CPUs, developers are now jumping on the band wagon to get their games working with multiple cores. I've seen this being stated in multiple tech videos that I have watched over the past 2 weeks when comparing processors.

4. I assume you meant 2080 here? I am leaning towards the 2070 purely because of price to performance ratio but to be honest, I am still "up in the air" as I currently have a 4K monitor and if I am not going to swop it out for a 1440p monitor, then the 2080ti would be more of a sensible buy as gaming at 4K vs gaming at 1440p would require the larger VRAM allocation of 11gb on the 2080ti and ultimately give out better performance than the 2070. However, I also have to take in to account longevity of the system. If newer games are going to start using multiple cores in the next 2-3 years, the CPU starts becoming less of a bottle neck and the 2070 card will start working harder meaning I will need more processing power from the card and I would hate the card to become the bottle neck later down the line just because I skimped out on the card in the beginning.

5. My current 1000w Corsair PSU should be able to do the job shouldn't it? I don't see a need to buy another PSU if I have one already that works?

6. I've had my coolermaster H100 for years now and has never given me 1 second of issues. Other than the led's looking a little dimmer than when I bought it originally, imo, i don't see why CLC coolers are a major problem as long as you buy quality.

7. You need to keep in mind that if I have a case that works fine, why the need to buy another? I have 2x 250mm fans blowing cool air in to the case from the side and front. Another 2x 120mm fans pulling cool air in from the top where the cooler radiator is and 1x 120mm fan exhaust out the rear. I don't think cooling will be that much better with a newer case.

8. This is ultimately why I'm thinking of ditching the 4K as I just feel it makes more sense all round. Sure it might cost me some money to make the switch but I think it might be worth it.

9. This is great information but I did notice that fps is minimally different between the manufacturers which makes a good case for the Palit. However, Palit came in at 6th place out of those 9 manufacturers when it comes to RMA which isn't anything to write home about.

Thank you for your post John, always very informative ;-)

1. Future proofing is a meaningless term. Nobody starts out doing a build thinking, I'm only in it or today. The only applicability here is buying current generation or choosing to save moeny buying a generation on it's way out. I recommend the former.

2. I am saying that the return on investment for each alternative is not equal. It's not only more expensive, the extra performance you get for investing the extra money is providing less value. It pays to spend more if you get more .... If you can buy 8 apples for R8 and 12 appples for R11.... its like getting a free apple. However what is better buying 8 apples for R8 of buying 12 apples for R22 ? With just 10% video editing, it's not possible to make a case for Ryzen ot other high core CPU here.

3. This has been the claim for many years but it has simply not come to pass. I dunno if you follow the posts for CAD boxes for example where folks are pushing $4,000 GFX card and 24 core CPUs. AutoCAD is a single threaded application .... while some tasks may use a second core, thats it. Where does this come from ? Twp reasons. Back in the day the requirements for CAD far exceeding gaming ... now gaming has far outpaced CAD. The 2nd reason is folks confusing CAD drawing and CAD rendering. If rendering that $4k card will quickly pay for itself, that 24 core CPU, no. Look at the graph, on average the 9900k delivers 0.1% more fps and in some games it loses ground.

4. 4k presents a conundrum in that it's rarely viewed correctly. It's generally accepted that IPS is better than TN ... you think that is true ? Better said , "the best IPS panel are better then the bet TN panels". But at 1440p, the best IPS panels are near on $700. Ask the question, is a $300 1440p IPS panel better than a $300 TN panel. No, the $300 IPS is likely unplayable. To my eyes the best gaming experience available will happen on a 1440p, 10 bit IPS 165 Hz panel playing using ULMB @120 Hz. I would love to play on a on a 2160p, 10 bit IPS 165 Hz panel playing using ULMB @120 Hz but a) no such panel exists b) I don't think a cable exists to carry the necessary bandwidth and c) no card exists that can driuve it. Right now there are two moniotors that do 144 hz at 4k but manufacturerss report that they couldn't do ULMB ... IIRC, because of bandwidth limitations. I don't have the link I use to check on my lappie or Id look. Until 4k can do ULMB and cards exist that can get us up to 85+ fps in most games, the folks using 144 / 165 Hz screens will be reluctant to jump. We now have 144 hz at 4k but no ULMB and that costs about $1900 ,,, Im thinking $2700 when it arrives with ULMB and or a single card to drive it we are 1 maybe 2 generations away.

That being said, if you have 4k, you have already decided that 60 hz is fine. To my understanding, the monitor does not support any kind of adaptive sync (neither G-Sync nor Freesysn. Start here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2070_Gaming_Z/7.html

How many games will you play and what fps will you be satisfied with ? If you don't like the numbers, an uof=grade would seem required.

5. You had talked about a PSU... if you don't need one, stick with what you got.

6. There are numerous issues with the H100i...

a) It is outperformed by air coolers at 1/3 of it's price.
b) it's extremely loud
c) I has a science experiment inside. With an aluminum rad, and copper block, corrosion is taking place. In inhibitors have a useful life of 18 - 24 months. What's going on ?
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

7. I do understand that you have an existing case ... but you entire existing computer works fine too. You also said "The new build will mostly be new components except for the storage drives " so that's what I started with. At a certain point it's time to give up the ghost. I never reuse a case in a new build, it has more value to having it exist as a working PC. I fond newer cases have so many more features ... like USB 3.1, better cooling, less noise, that for 5- 10% of the PC cost, it's well worth the investment.

8. Yes, can't argue that ... I have avoided for the same reasons.

9. If you're making a choice ... at the same price ... if you were selling your monitor. First guy offers you $300, 2nd one offers you 5% more .... all things being equal, would you take the1st one or the second ? But that's not the only reason. Not saying any one of these are deal breakers but.... I'll use the Palit since you mentioned it.

The difference between the RMA rates are statistically insignificant.
MSI is 9 fps faster OC'd than the Palit
The warrantee varies as has been noted.
MSI has aluminum backkplate, Palit painted metal
MSI has0 noise at idle, Palit has no passive cooling capability
MSI has 6 heat pipes, Palit 5
Palits max power allowance is lower than FE.

Again, not saying that any one of those is a dealbreaker, but this is data that you can find in TPU reviews, much of which may be important to you

And anytime, I collect this data for put own user's decision making, .... might as well share it.

Processor 13700KF - 5.7GHZ
Motherboard Z690 UNIFY-X
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 (NF-A12x25)
Memory 2x16 G.SKILL M-DIE (7200-34-44-44-28)
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 7900XT
Storage 1TB KINGSTON KC3000
Display(s) FI32Q
Case LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC EVO
Audio Device(s) HD599
Power Supply RMX1000
Mouse PULSAR XLITE V2 MINI (RETRO)
Keyboard KEYCHRON V3 (DUROCK T1 + MT3 GODSPEED R2)
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Superposition 4k optimized - 20652
I believe gigabyte boards are only good on z390, if you choose other chipset you most likely will have better options from different companies.

System Name 1.Archimedes 2. Ianna
Processor 1. i7 7700k 2. R5 1600x
Motherboard 1. MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon 2. ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling 1. U12S with IPPC 3000RPM 2. AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 1. 16GB Crucial 2400MHz (4x4GB) 2. 16GB Crucial 2666Mhz (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) 1. MSI 1060 Gaming X Plus(6GB). 2. MSI 1050TI Gaming X (4GB)
Storage 1. 32GB Optane+120 GB SSD, 4TB X300, Firecuda 2TB. 2. Kingston 240GB SSD, 4TB X300, 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1.Samsung Q7FN 55 Inch 2. AOC G2460VQ6
Case 1. S340 Elite. 2. S340
Audio Device(s) 1. Q70R Soundbar 2.Lenovo Y Gaming, Galaxy Buds
Power Supply 1. Antec TPC 750W 2. Antec EAG650 Pro (Both Seasonic OEM)
Mouse G502, G102
Keyboard G413
Its 90% a gaming rig and 10% video editing.
but also keep in mind that I'm not only buying for the now. I'm buying for the future too. I don't want to have to buy a new rig in 2 years time just to get more cores. Developers are finally starting to use more cores in their games which means that more cores will be needed.

I think you meant to say 9700K here as the 9900K is much more expensive. Correct?

Surely not if game developers are going to start taking more advantage of multi-core processors. With the release of 9900K evidently trying to compete with AMD's multicore CPUs, developers are now jumping on the band wagon to get their games working with multiple cores. I've seen this being stated in multiple tech videos that I have watched over the past 2 weeks when comparing processors.

I assume you meant 2080 here? I am leaning towards the 2070 purely because of price to performance ratio but to be honest, I am still "up in the air" as I currently have a 4K monitor and if I am not going to swop it out for a 1440p monitor, then the 2080ti would be more of a sensible buy as gaming at 4K vs gaming at 1440p would require the larger VRAM allocation of 11gb on the 2080ti and ultimately give out better performance than the 2070. However, I also have to take in to account longevity of the system. If newer games are going to start using multiple cores in the next 2-3 years, the CPU starts becoming less of a bottle neck and the 2070 card will start working harder meaning I will need more processing power from the card and I would hate the card to become the bottle neck later down the line just because I skimped out on the card in the beginning.

My current 1000w Corsair PSU should be able to do the job shouldn't it? I don't see a need to buy another PSU if I have one already that works?

I've had my coolermaster H100 for years now and has never given me 1 second of issues. Other than the led's looking a little dimmer than when I bought it originally, imo, i don't see why CLC coolers are a major problem as long as you buy quality.

You need to keep in mind that if I have a case that works fine, why the need to buy another? I have 2x 250mm fans blowing cool air in to the case from the side and front. Another 2x 120mm fans pulling cool air in from the top where the cooler radiator is and 1x 120mm fan exhaust out the rear. I don't think cooling will be that much better with a newer case.

This is ultimately why I'm thinking of ditching the 4K as I just feel it makes more sense all round. Sure it might cost me some money to make the switch but I think it might be worth it.

This is great information but I did notice that fps is minimally different between the manufacturers which makes a good case for the Palit. However, Palit came in at 6th place out of those 9 manufacturers when it comes to RMA which isn't anything to write home about.

Thank you for your post John, always very informative ;-)

You wont go wrong with either processor. Graphics wise in the SA market, I have to say if I was you I would keep using the 980Ti until such a time comes where you really want to play a certain game at 4K60FPS. Simply put the 2080TI cant do 1440P165Hz in alot of titles. The prices are high right now for the 2080Ti due to demand from miners. I will probably buy one next year when the price dips. If you really want the card now, go for the strixx, my 7 year old ASUS card is still going strong.

Last edited:
Gotta agree - 2070 is not really a mind boggling upgrade over a 980Ti; personally I wouldn't step up to anything less than a 1080Ti/2080