• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New computers worth it?

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Hey guys, I just got into a bad situation where some asshole stole like all my electronics and expensive shit, and all my family's expensive stuff too, and on top of that LIVED in the house for like 6 weeks when we were gone, but anyway, now I need some new stuff (yeah he's paying it back in like 300% full and probably doing a couple years in jail, but I need my stuff now because I'm leaving again in 2 weeks), so with Vista coming out I've been saying I should hold off on a new laptop for a while, and now that I don't have one at all it's getting harder to do. With all these "Vista ready" stickers on computers, are they truthfully 100% like DirectX10/Aero/whatever other massive software/hardware upgrade compatible? I doubt they're DirectX10 ready so in my opinion that makes them worthless to me. Like do you think the 7900/X1900's are gonna support every feature Windows Vista has or is it just gonna suck for all the Quad-SLI 7950GX/Crossfire X1900XT guys out there that even with ALL that expensive hardware they're still not gonna play games with full effects? Thanks guys

Oh by the way, I preemptively bought a new cell phone, a Cingular 8125 PDA phone, instead of a laptop, but can still really use a full computer. I was planning on buying a new phone for a while, but went all out when I found out that was the most affordable thing I could get close to a computer. And hey, anyone considering a PDA phone with Windows Mobile 5, GET IT!!! I have NEVER been so organized in my life, I mean I've been having to write every little thing down in a notepad throughout the day, and that sucked a dick, but now that I can just slide open a little keyboard and in 3 seconds type it in, then just scroll to whatever other notes I've made throughout the day, AND have alarms on them and on top of that do pretty much everything a normal computer can do including full-PC internet (not just gay mobile websites) AND even TV through MobiTV. Yeah, note taking has been around a while on cell phones I know, but I've never been able to use a keyboard with them. The only thing it can't do is play PC games, but I just got a PSP too so I really don't need it to do that. I realllllly recommend PDA phones for ANYONE who needs one, but forget about smartphones, without touchscreen and only being able to VIEW instead of create Word/Excel documents is worthless. Just thought I should let you guys know, PDA OS's really aren't talked about much here.

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
vista sucks balls, has to "call home" on a regular basis, it cant be installed more than twice apparently before microshit make u buy another copy, its full of spyware, is buggy as hell and has severe security flaws, i know for a fact DX10 is being hacked to work on xp as there is no technical reason why dx10 cant work on xp, and software houses\manufactturers will support dx9 for a good long while yet. hope that answers all of your qs :D

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
DX10 talks directly to the kernel and is 6x faster than DX9,,,,,,

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64

and as i said, thers no technical reason why DX10 cant be made for xp. and i know someone who is already decompiling dx10 to build it to work for xp.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
We shall see how that ponders out, I can see cross fire R600 in my vision..

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
Then they release DX10.1A to stop it lol

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
i can see buying multi copys of vista in your future OR piracy......

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
Corporate copy in my future with no Cd-Key MahhahahahaJust like all my other copies of windows(Bought with thousands of licenses)

strick94u

System Name CrashMaster 17.2/ crashmaster(M) ROG
Processor CD2 E8400@4.0 ghz/ i5 430@ 2.577 mhz
Motherboard EVGA 680i/ patogram inc intel north bridge
Cooling Monsoon vigor gaming II/ fan and vents
Memory 4 gig OCZ pc8500 DDR2/ 4 gigs ddr3
Video Card(s) 2 X EVGA 8800gts 512 735/1045/nvidia 360 gtsm gddr5
Storage 2 X WD 150 Raptors Raid 0+600gig usb/ 500 gig hitachi
Display(s) Samsung 2232 bw Sync Master 22" HD/16.9 inch asus
Case Enermax uber chakra/ asus republic of gamers
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI 5.1 speakers/creative eax 4.0
Power Supply OCZ extream Gaming 650 watt 4x18a/ external
Software Dos 6.22/ win 3.11 for networks/ms bob server
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 18,201/10601 3dmark05 23,943/not run Aquamark 218,094/not run
Could you direct us to this information?
I can't seem to find one Microsoft .doc that says anything about this mystical Dx10 so your help would be great. Thanks

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
lol i dont see how that would work folk would already be using the hacked dx10 on xp :p

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
Could you direct us to this information?
I can't seem to find one Microsoft .doc that says anything about this mystical Dx10 so your help would be great. Thanks
You could find it on TeamATi somewhere, I know that I have posted at some time.

strick94u

Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 18,201/10601 3dmark05 23,943/not run Aquamark 218,094/not run
You could find it on TeamATi somewhere, I know that I have posted at some time.
Oh ok nevermind I can find all kind of speculated data I was searching for facts not leaked bull shit that micorsoft release's to build people up before they let us down like so many times before. as of right now MS has posted nothing about dx10 other than it will have to have hardware to support it. so with the diffrent levels of Vista do you think the corprate version will be the same as the ultra edition that has things like Gaming support? Just gotta wonder you do seem to be a big fan of Vista I would think you wouldnt have a problem Paying for the nice version But I'm like you ill get the my brother in-law to burn me what ever his 40,000 pc company has I mean why pay? ya know, maybe it will game maybe not free taste better :laugh:
EDIT:10/24/06 11:55 pm central time
"Software Is leagal I'm on the payroll"

Last edited:

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
Corporate copy in my future with no Cd-Key MahhahahahaJust like all my other copies of windows(Bought with thousands of licenses)

god your uninformed.

corp versions now requier checkins with keyserver every 30days no more free ride to VLK versions, they all gotta call home so ms can tell windows to keep working.

if windows cant call home every 30days IT WILL STOP WORKING PERIOD, and if ms dosnt like you using a VLK at home, well they dissable you(they can tell your not at your company due to IP addy easly)

and if you dont acctivate with keyserver within the first 30days your system stops working.

and as i read it, if they see to many diffrent hardware profiles being reged under the vlk's from a company they can dissable those keys till they do an audit, not nice, specly when its a bulk licence deal :(

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=189601573
Microsoft To Enforce Volume License Key Compliance For Vista, Longhorn
Microsoft Key management server under development

By Paula Rooney, CRN
4:36 PM EDT Mon. Jun. 26, 2006

Enterprise customers can forget about the honor system Microsoft has in place for reporting Windows licenses they consume.

Starting with the release of Vista and "Longhorn" Windows server next year, customers will be required to register their volume license keys (VLK) with Microsoft within 30 days of acquisition and report their license usage on a monthly basis, executives said.

It's a very different system than what is in place today, sources said.

"In the enterprise, there is no client activation. You get a master set of bits and a number of licenses. It's always been up to you and an external auditor to verify that you didn't deploy more copies than you had licensed," said one source familiar with the plan, who asked not to be named. "This is designed to formalize the process."

Microsoft is developing key management servers and changing the licensing process for the next generation Windows client and server, executives confirmed recently.

"We are making changes to the process to Vista and a new approach to VLK licensing," Mike Sievert, corporate vice president of Windows client marketing for Microsoft told CRN during a recent interview. "We're training our enterprise customers and we'll do some key management for customers that's more automated and makes reporting easier."

At Tech Ed 2006, Ward Ralston, a senior technology product manager for Microsoft, confirmed the company is "introducing the notion of a key management server" for Windows "Longhorn" Server that will gives volume licensed customers a 30-day validation period to register their license keys. Customers must check in every 30 days to update the licenses used.

According to sources familiar with the plan, Microsoft's key management server would keep track of the active CALs and servers customers deployed and send an audit report

in every 30 day.

The policy could further exacerbate concerns of ISVs that specialize in software asset management services for Microsoft software. Microsoft announced plans to acquire AssetMetrix in April.

Microsoft claims the new policy for VLKs will ease software setup and installation and improve asset management. Still, observers also pointed out the software giant wants to cut down on piracy and ensure that it is getting paid for each software license used.

Microsoft has included product activation technologies in OEM and retail copies of its software but to date volume license customers have not been required to activate their products. Enterprise customers input Volume License Product Key (VLK) to install the software to computer but Microsoft does not enforce or check for compliance, partners say.

Observers say the new policy signifies the end of the long-running honor system between Microsoft and its enterprise customers but there are pros and cons for customers.

"You could say it looks like Microsoft being invasive and they're doing the same thing on the consumer side but a lot of people will say it's good because they can stop doing it on their own," said Peter O'Kelly, a research director at Burton Group. "They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't."

O'Kelley and other observers note that large global enterprises are often not in compliance because of the ongoing nature of acquisitions, mergers and hiring of contractors, which keeps the license count in flux.

Observers said some companies may be paranoid about Microsoft keeping track of licenses but also enjoy some measure of relief that the complexities of license management will be reduced.

One partner said some customers will resent the policy as invasive while others will appreciate the convenience because it's always been a problem for organizations, large and small to manage license keys.

"You can be a little more liberal with these keys, but at some point you must account or "true up" for products running in your environment," said Phil Ernst, president and CTO of Convergence Technology Consulting, Bowie, Md. "In medium to larger environments, servers are added, removed, retired, upgraded and the folks who are making these changes are not necessarily the ones who are concerned about reconciling the licenses the organization actually owns.

"It will put some enforcement in what is generally not enforced at this moment," Ernst said. "It also forces organizational attempt to keep current on what is owned and installed and more importantly in use. It's a good thing."

Analysts say VLKs are very insecure because they can be installed multiple times and are available in plain text format to many IT professionals in a corporate setting. Microsoft's installation technology that will let an organization keep its VLKs secure so they're not visible as plain text at install time, observers said.

Microsoft did not want to comment on this story but acknowledged that the feature is under development.

"Microsoft is building new functionality into its next generation product lines to help customers reduce the ongoing risks associated with the theft, leakage, security, and illegal use of their Volume Licensing Keys," according to a statement released to CRN by Microsoft. "Microsoft is also looking for ways to help IT Pros deal with unmanaged desktops and maintain visibility into workstation counts."

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
Oh ok nevermind I can find all kind of speculated data I was searching for facts not leaked bull shit that micorsoft release's to build people up before they let us down like so many times before. as of right now MS has posted nothing about dx10 other than it will have to have hardware to support it. so with the diffrent levels of Vista do you think the corprate version will be the same as the ultra edition that has things like Gaming support? Just gotta wonder you do seem to be a big fan of Vista I would think you wouldnt have a problem Paying for the nice version But I'm like you ill get the my brother in-law to burn me what ever his 40,000 pc company has I mean why pay? ya know, maybe it will game maybe not free taste better :laugh:

please dont talk about warez we dont need the thred locked for warez talk

strick94u

please dont talk about warez we dont need the thred locked for warez talk

where did you see me talk about warez? I said my brother in-law who I Work for lets me use the corprait lic Which Will be ok if and when or if they switch to vista. I did not offer anyone a copy nor is it piraited Get your facts stright before you tell me I'm doing something wrong dip shit "My pc is totally leagal" and will stay that way. However If I want to buy vista I will but at this point its not likely will just need what we have to know how to trouble shoot it.
Now go read every F*&^king thread I have ever written And show my my warez post Jackass:) and have a nice day

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
god your uninformed.

corp versions now requier checkins with keyserver every 30days no more free ride to VLK versions, they all gotta call home so ms can tell windows to keep working.

if windows cant call home every 30days IT WILL STOP WORKING PERIOD, and if ms dosnt like you using a VLK at home, well they dissable you(they can tell your not at your company due to IP addy easly)

and if you dont acctivate with keyserver within the first 30days your system stops working.

and as i read it, if they see to many diffrent hardware profiles being reged under the vlk's from a company they can dissable those keys till they do an audit, not nice, specly when its a bulk licence deal :(

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=189601573
Some people work at home you know,

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
where did you see me talk about warez? I said my brother in-law who I Work for lets me use the corprait lic Which Will be ok if and when or if they switch to vista. I did not offer anyone a copy nor is it piraited Get your facts stright before you tell me I'm doing something wrong dip shit "My pc is totally leagal" and will stay that way. However If I want to buy vista I will but at this point its not likely will just need what we have to know how to trouble shoot it.
Now go read every F*&^king thread I have ever written And show my my warez post Jackass:) and have a nice day

burned copys are in most cases considered warez, and corp licences are not really ment for home use, ms has gotten pissy about it at a couple companys i worked for, telling them that they should use OEM or RETAIL copys for workers that are working from home. this is also replying to DaMulta.

ms really dosnt want companys sending copys/keys home with employs, its somethig they havent pushed to hard against in the past because they didnt really have any way to track how many copys where being used offsite, but now they easly can at least every 30days(if not more offten)

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
The company that I work for(Or contract for at times)hands me a cd to use at home at my own destination.
------
To add, Not wares, just saying

When a company buys up to 50 thousand licences at a time, do you really believe that can be tracked? Does Microsoft really care about these big players?

strick94u

burned copys are in most cases considered warez, and corp licences are not really ment for home use, ms has gotten pissy about it at a couple companys i worked for, telling them that they should use OEM or RETAIL copys for workers that are working from home. this is also replying to DaMulta.

ms really dosnt want companys sending copys/keys home with employs, its somethig they havent pushed to hard against in the past because they didnt really have any way to track how many copys where being used offsite, but now they easly can at least every 30days(if not more offten)

Name me one large corp that Buys 40,000 single copys how do you think other than what is on the servers we get it to the field reps do you have any idea how much band width it would take on release day? Go cut-n-paste A corp lic agreement and then come tell us how it works ok:twitch: your starting to annoy me get back on subject and stop trying to be a psuedo mod

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
yeah, they want to make sure they are getting "their due" from every singel copy of windows used.

they can track that 99.9% of those licences keyserver checkin with ms from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and that some copys are checking in from say xox.oox.oxo.xxx, its easy when you design your software to do the work for you, if you honestly dont think ms will be keeping track of every singel licence under vista vlk then your deluding yourself, read ms's own comments about VLK policy changes, they made the change so they can be SURE they wont get "screwed" out of every singel dime they can possably blead out of people/companys.

if a compansy over its licence limmit, ms will im sure tell them they need to buy more licences, if they dont, well ms could dissable their keys till they do(immagin say intel having all their windows desktops go down because they are 15-20 licences over what they acctualy own and didnt respond/buy more from ms in time......god that would be funny to me :D how fast do you think linux/bsd would become an option then :p )

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
So they buy more licences, I'm sure they would'nt tell them how to use up there licences......Need to get off the Vista trip, its happening, Coming in a few months, XP will be dropped, a few more years a new ver of windows. Then people will trip out all over again.

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
um ms can tell them what to do with their licences, and im sure the vlk dosnt cover some time employs that arent nesserly employed by the company all the time, i mean the worst i see ms doing is dissabling your windows remotly on checkin but still, could be a little annoing for you, good laugh for me tho :D

oh and you need to stop braggin how great vista is and how everybody should get it and telling people that dx10 is 6x faster when you got no real proof, sure people post in forums, but as pointed out, ms hasnt said shit about it being faster, infact they said gaming will be 10-15% slower in vista :O
corse you fail to mention that when you promote vista.

hey do you work for microsoft?????

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
I posted a video yesterday coming from the office of gaming for windows that said DX0 is 6 times faster than DX9./

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
hey about the "technically dx10 should be totally compatible with xp" well I was reading an article yesterday that dx10 uses vista's dedicated graphics drivers and architecture in the os that lets you isolate only the graphics card and do a lot more stuff to it. i'll find the article and paste it later but yeah I hear dx10 needs other vista-only features so xp isn't totally compatible. thanks for all the replies too guys