• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Core I7 Rig Build "The Unkown"

System Name Stealth 2 Duo Turbine
Processor Intel e6850 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Modded With 2 white LED's & 100CFM fan
Memory OCZ DDR2 1066_ SLI Black-4GB
Video Card(s) 2xMSI 8800GT"s SLI
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Display(s) ACER B273HU 27" LCD 2048x1152
Case Apex SuperCase_Custom 7 month Build
Audio Device(s) Striker Extreme Add-In Card HD-Audio
Power Supply EnerMax INFINITI 720watt
Software SE7VEN ULTIMATE 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
Woot! ordered that copper mobo!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138135

Rofl, I got an alert for the heatsink in stock. I go to buy it and its out of stock already.

Awesome, glad to hear about you new shiny mobo,,
This one looks really nice, I had one before, it cools pretty good. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=450&products_id=21568
I just looked at the true copper again,, that is a beast @1900g, 4lbs, WOW it's enough to bust some motherboards
Not in stock here http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulexcoedtr.html but it's $10 more for the bolt threw kit,, were ever you buy it from, at that weight, why would they sell it without that kit, I had to buy that kit when I bought the thermalright Ultimate 90.

Last edited:
System Name Smilk
Benchmark Scores Infinite....
Awesome, glad to hear about you new shiny mobo,,
This one looks really nice, I had one before, it cools pretty good. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=450&products_id=21568
I just looked at the true copper again,, that is a beast @1900g, 4lbs, WOW it's enough to bust some motherboards
Not in stock here http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulexcoedtr.html but it's $10 more for the bolt threw kit,, were ever you buy it from, at that weight, why would they sell it without that kit, I had to buy that kit when I bought the thermalright Ultimate 90.

Rofl 4 pounds. dude +1 on that for the bolt through kit. I know MKmods was talking about making a bracket for it, but for $10 bucks im not sure how much cheaper one is to make yourself.

System Name Smilk
Their is some reviews on this board saying it will lock up using 6GB of memory, but will work with only 3GB, BUT (theirs others than have it working with 6GB!, what a mystery!) Theirs settings that have to be changed from a forum just about the biostar T-Powerx58 board. Now those peeps are probably wasting time and $ rma'ing them. Also another issue was using the wrong slots for the memory causing the pc to lock up during OS install. In this board their has to be a memory chip in the primary 2nd slot or else the board wont even boot.

C1E Support: Set to Disable
Hardware Prefetcher: Set to Disable
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Set to Disable
Max CPUID Valut Limit: Set to Disable
Intel Virtualization: Set to Disable
CPU TM Function: Set to Disable
Execute-Disable Bit: Set to Disable
Overclock Navigator: Set to Manual
Intel SpeedStep: Set to Disable
Intel Turbo Mode: Set to Disable

Last edited:
System Name Smilk
As I have been watching deals for the I7 290 and 3x2GB memory kits, they have been getting even better.

Next Weeks Order = Core I7 290
Corsair Dominator or GSKILL PI Series 3x2GB Kit

Lastly, this leaves that pesky last item.... the heatsink, which is out of stock the second it comes in anyways :laugh:

System Name Smilk
So my case now has a window thanks to steelkane :toast: Just amazing! I didnt use my window kit I bought, complications arised of a fan getting in the way of my heatsink, plus this type of window looks so much better. I learned alot, and the time it takes to make something look good is worth it.

The x58 comes in monday...

Last edited:

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
:D Awesome! I still need to clean up my case. It's like hell in there.

System Name Smilk
The window is see through, just not in the pics. It has a black tint. I will have alot of light in the pc from the red LED fans so you can see in. The hole for all the wires from the psu was cut bigger so I can fit my 24 pin connector through. The window hole is cut for a 120mm Fan.

I ordered a fan filter that was decided would look really good on the window.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...age_scroll&products_id=2275&image_scroll_id=0

A Thanks to SteelKane

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 336
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 341
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 346
  • new4.jpg
    new4.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
Anytime domy85, Glad I could help. I can't wait to see it with all that kool hardware inside.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh, WQHD Computer Monito
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
subscribe, I just put together my i7 build as well, should be interesting to follow along. :toast:

System Name StarCruiser Dark Knight v.2
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
Motherboard P8Z77-V LX
Cooling 1x custom W/C loop/ inflow:6x120 /outflow:4x120, 2x200
Memory Viper 3 Black Mamba (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor LCS 5870
Storage 1X 128GB OCZ, 2 x 1.500 Gb Seagate
Display(s) Samsung 24" LC24F396
Case custom MDF case (I BUILT IT) check sig.....NOW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Tagan 900 watt
Software Win 7 RC / Open office / Games
subscribed....

glad to follow this build through!

System Name Smilk
So I recieve my board in today and I got excited and installed it even though I will have to take it out again.

They put stickers on the ram and pcie ports. I didnt have trouble taking the pcie port stickers off, but the ram slot sticker left all this left over paper from the backing of the sticker all over. The paper went inside those memory holes, well i had a problem with 2 of those holes as that paper messed with the position of the gold contact pins for the memory(if you look at the memory pic u can see the paper in some of the holes). I had to stick a pin inside 2 holes and push the pins back out so it would make contact with the memory.... SO NOW I am paranoid that something is going to be wrong and by the time I get the memory, cpu and heatsink, it will be too late for return. I am so PISSED about this. I booted the board and everything lit up so that was good.... I dont believe they would do something like that with stickers.

Heres some pics with it in...

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 392
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh, WQHD Computer Monito
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
So I recieve my board in today and I got excited and installed it even though I will have to take it out again.

They put stickers on the ram and pcie ports. I didnt have trouble taking the pcie port stickers off, but the ram slot sticker left all this left over paper from the backing of the sticker all over. The paper went inside those memory holes, well i had a problem with 2 of those holes as that paper messed with the position of the gold contact pins for the memory(if you look at the memory pic u can see the paper in some of the holes. I had to stick a pin inside 2 holes and push the pins back out so it would make contact with the memory.... SO NOW I am paranoid that something is going to be wrong and by the time I get the memory, cpu and heatsink, it will be too late for return. I am so PISSED about this. I booted the board and everything lit up so that was good.... I dont believe they would do something like that with stickers.

I think you'll be fine bro, BTW congrats bro, I can tell you're happy even after the sticker issue :D

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
Rofl 4 pounds. dude +1 on that for the bolt through kit. I know MKmods was talking about making a bracket for it, but for $10 bucks im not sure how much cheaper one is to make yourself.

lol, at 4lbs, add to that the leverage effect (the tallness of the cooler makes even more weight pushing down on the bottom half of the mount)
I would definitely get SteelKane to help you mount the cooler through the mobo and through spacers and through the mobo tray (using the mobo tray to support the cooler)

PS: I like your choice on mobos, Biostar FTW!!!!!:respect:
Modders:nutkick:Sticker installers

They put stickers on the ram and pcie ports. I didnt have trouble taking the pcie port stickers off, but the ram slot sticker left all this left over paper from the backing of the sticker all over. The paper went inside those memory holes, well i had a problem with 2 of those holes as that paper messed with the position of the gold contact pins for the memory(if you look at the memory pic u can see the paper in some of the holes). I had to stick a pin inside 2 holes and push the pins back out so it would make contact with the memory.... SO NOW I am paranoid that something is going to be wrong and by the time I get the memory, cpu and heatsink, it will be too late for return. I am so PISSED about this. I booted the board and everything lit up so that was good.... I dont believe they would do something like that with stickers.

Board looks great,, I'm sure it will work fine, the W/M looks like it's going to be clean.

lol, at 4lbs, add to that the leverage effect (the tallness of the cooler makes even more weight pushing down on the bottom half of the mount)
I would definitely get SteelKane to help you mount the cooler through the mobo and through spacers and through the mobo tray (using the mobo tray to support the cooler)

PS: I like your choice on mobos, Biostar FTW!!!!!:respect:
Modders:nutkick:Sticker installers

That could be possible, if longer screws were used

And instead of mounting the plate on the back of the motherboard, mount the plate on the back side of the mobo tray. with spacers in between the back of the board & the mobo tray.

I believe that would work out great.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
Nice picts thanks..(I am quite Intel mount ignorant)
just as long as the spacers between the mobo and tray were as tall as the standoffs you should be fine.
I get my plastic/nylon spacers from Homedepot.
(make sure to eliminate the springs though)

the flat surface mobo tray in that comp looks nice for this mod...

System Name Smilk
Hah thanks guys, that takes a load off. Im sure we all been their builing a full pc and the board was the problem.... Biostar looks like they pulled this one off!

That idea with the backplate on the mobo tray instead sounds great guys. Especially if Thermalright themselves recommends using that heatsink on a board thats horizontally even with the bolt through kit :laugh:

Definetly a plus for cleanliness

Also the 8 pin mobo power connector is a pain going underneath the board. Instead if their was a opening cut right above where it plugs in to would be so nice.

Last edited:
System Name StarCruiser Dark Knight v.2
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
Motherboard P8Z77-V LX
Cooling 1x custom W/C loop/ inflow:6x120 /outflow:4x120, 2x200
Memory Viper 3 Black Mamba (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor LCS 5870
Storage 1X 128GB OCZ, 2 x 1.500 Gb Seagate
Display(s) Samsung 24" LC24F396
Case custom MDF case (I BUILT IT) check sig.....NOW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Tagan 900 watt
Software Win 7 RC / Open office / Games
thanks for the pics!:toast:
and to see that sticker issue resolved....

and thanks to Steelkane for a great idea!

hope we 'll see a few more pics soon!:toast:

System Name Smilk
While im waiting on the ordering of my cpu heatsink, I went ahead an ordered the Zalman VF1000 gpu heatsink, thanks to help from some members here. 390grams of pure copper baby ;) I didnt like the blue LED in the fan, so im going to figure out what wire to cut for the LED or however. Putting a red LED fan in place of it wont do much cause I will have a bright 120mm fan on my window blocking it. Ill get some picutres next week when it arrives an installed.

http://www.acousticpc.com/images/a_zalman_vf1000_main_pic.jpg

That's going to look SICK together,

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Mmmm ....

Domy, this is a very very nice build your putting together. PM me a link if you put it in the case gallery k? Also, you going to order the 920 from buy.com? I think the price went down even further.

EDIT: Nevermind its out of stock now.

System Name Smilk
Mmmm ....

Domy, this is a very very nice build your putting together. PM me a link if you put it in the case gallery k? Also, you going to order the 920 from buy.com? I think the price went down even further.

EDIT: Nevermind its out of stock now.

Thanks, I will drop ya a pm when I submit it. Yeah I have been missing out on all the good deals. Im not ready to buy the cpu or memory yet though. Sometime this month I will need this thing running so all do in time.

System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04