• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New custom build turns on (no bios beeps) but monitor never registers

fenrir888

I am in the middle of building an new computer (my first), and i've checked about 8 times (once with a friend who has built a system before) and i believe all the wires are hooked up how they are supposed to be and all hardware is put in correctly.. Yet, whenever i turn the pc on the monitor remains in sleep mode. The monitor works, it is the monitor of my old system, and i've tried both the on-board video and the video card video. I do NOT receive a beep from the BIOS and it does NOT turn itself off. I noticed in my system that my RAM requires 1.9V, but my motherboard supports 1.8V, is this the cause of the problem? If not, does anyone know what is causing my PC to not work correctly and how to fix it?

My system has the following:
-GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
-EVGA 512-P3-N987-TR GeForce 9800 GT HDMI 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
-Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Power Supply Unit
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
-LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
I am in the middle of building an new computer (my first), and i've checked about 8 times (once with a friend who has built a system before) and i believe all the wires are hooked up how they are supposed to be and all hardware is put in correctly.. Yet, whenever i turn the pc on the monitor remains in sleep mode. The monitor works, it is the monitor of my old system, and i've tried both the on-board video and the video card video. I do NOT receive a beep from the BIOS and it does NOT turn itself off. I noticed in my system that my RAM requires 1.9V, but my motherboard supports 1.8V, is this the cause of the problem? If not, does anyone know what is causing my PC to not work correctly and how to fix it?

My system has the following:
-GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
-EVGA 512-P3-N987-TR GeForce 9800 GT HDMI 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
-Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Power Supply Unit
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
-LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98

The problem can be anything really, ranging from a faulty motherboard, faulty memory, faulty video card, faulty, faulty processor. It could be that the heat sink hasn’t been positioned correctly. Honestly almost anything can relate to not getting a display. But to answer your memory question, your memory could be faulty however its most definitely not a voltage issue. The voltage of the memory and motherboard voltage can be taken with a pinch of salt, you can mix and match voltages just fine, at the very worst the voltage will just run lower and will still work as normal.

Your power supply unit should have two power connectors, a 20-pin and a 4-pin. Make sure both pins are connected into the motherboard securely, I believe on the GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P the two pin inputs on the motherboard are located on accent sides from one another.

fenrir888

hmm this is disconcerting. I am unable to individually test each part, since my old pc is way out of date. any ideas as to how i could test to find out what part is causing the issue?

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
hmm this is disconcerting. I am unable to individually test each part, since my old pc is way out of date. any ideas as to how i could test to find out what part is causing the issue?

If the parts are new, the chances are that everything is fine. I wouldn’t worry too much I've heard this issue loads of time for first time builders and have experienced it personally. 9/10 its a user issue due to something they forgot to do. Like I said before I would start by visually checking that both the 4-pin and 20-pin power cables are connected into the motherboard, most people forget the 4-pin, have you done this yet? the picture below shows where I am talking about.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    114 KB · Views: 1,570
Last edited:
System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
Strip the computer and set it up on a table instead of the case to rule out shorts then set it up with the psu, motherboard, heatsink, 1 stick of ram if it doesn't boot reset your bios and double check your bios supports your CPU. If that all fails try and find somone with a similer Pc you can use to test your CPU and ram.

T

twilyth

According to the specs, that card has 2 DVI ports. Hook the monitor up to the other one. Dual port cards seem to default to one port or the other. Maybe you just picked the wrong one.

If you're really worried. Hook the HDMI port to a tv. I'm sure it will work.

fenrir888

i have hooked up both the 20+4 and the 4-pin connectors

the bios hasnt even been touched due to the fact that i haven't been able to look at them, so it is still factory defaults. also i have tried both dvi slots numorous times with each RAM stick, as well as without the vid card or the cd/dvd and hard drives still resulting in the same issue. so i believe the problem lies in the vid card,RAM,motherboard, or processor, and i'm iffy on removing the processor because i have no thermal grease (the processor came with a layer on the heatsink). the only thing capable of running DDR2 in my house happens to be the computer i'm building (upgrading from a 7yr old dell, 7 years!!!). i think the motherboard is running, the LEDs from my fans are running, as well as the processor fan and case lights. unfortunately the board has no LEDs on itself to give notice of functionality. and of course my vidcard is PCI-E and well a 7yr old dell can even use agp so...

i have yet to try the hdmi port on my vid card, i will try that tomorrow.

T

twilyth

the m/b has a built in vid chipset - NVIDIA GeForce 7025 - is that disabled?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't mention the monitor to much...
Does it have selectable inputs (HDMI, DVI, VGA, etc.) through a button or the monitor control panel.

sweeper

System Name "X"
Processor AMD PHENOM II X 6 3.2GHz @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard ASUS M4A785-M
Cooling ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
Memory Kingston Hyper X DDR2 1066 2X2 - 4GB
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Storage Western Digital 500GB SATAII Black / Western Digital My Book Essential External HDD 1TB
Display(s) Soyo 22" LCD / Vizio 32" LCD
Case Thermaltake Xaser II Full Tower
Audio Device(s) ON-BOARD VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Antec Basiq 550W Plus Modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Few examples from a few recent problems I've seen with the same problems you are experiencing:

Shorted MB - everything turned on, no post to monitor
Video Card not seated properly - same as above
CPU not supported by MB - same as above
CMOS needed reset. Pulled battery for 1/2 hour for fix
Bad Power Supply - quick replacement of PSU fixed no post.
Heatsink not seated on CPU properly - NO POST
MB wired to front chassis IMPROPERLY - NO POST

Just a few examples of the same thing you are experiencing. All systems would spin the CPU fan, PSU fan, Case fan/s, video card fan but had no post to monitor.

System Name My baby
i have hooked up both the 20+4 and the 4-pin connectors

the bios hasnt even been touched due to the fact that i haven't been able to look at them, so it is still factory defaults. also i have tried both dvi slots numorous times with each RAM stick, as well as without the vid card or the cd/dvd and hard drives still resulting in the same issue. so i believe the problem lies in the vid card,RAM,motherboard, or processor, and i'm iffy on removing the processor because i have no thermal grease (the processor came with a layer on the heatsink). the only thing capable of running DDR2 in my house happens to be the computer i'm building (upgrading from a 7yr old dell, 7 years!!!). i think the motherboard is running, the LEDs from my fans are running, as well as the processor fan and case lights. unfortunately the board has no LEDs on itself to give notice of functionality. and of course my vidcard is PCI-E and well a 7yr old dell can even use agp so...

i have yet to try the hdmi port on my vid card, i will try that tomorrow.

Does your 9800 GT video card have a dedicated 6-pin power connection located at its rear? most new video cards require external power, if so make sure that is connected.

Also

Your GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P motherboard has an integrated video card, remove your dedicated video card (9800GT) and run the monitor from the integrated video card's VGA output. If you still get no display then you know that the 9800 GT isn’t the problem.

When you installed the motherboard did you use stand off screws? they are these gold screws that raise the motherboard off the case about a half inch to stop the motherboard from short circuiting. Failing to use stand offs can result in a damaged motherboard.

Do not be afraid to remove the heatsink and re-adjust it, most new motherboards will stop the system from powering up fully if the heatsink isn’t secure properly for safety reasons.

Finally, it could very well be that your GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P has not been equipped with the latest firmware from the factory. If you were unfortunate to of received one of the first revisions of the motherboard because the shop had it in the stock room for donkeys years, I believe the board uses the nForce 630a chipset which is like 4 years old! so it very well might not have the latest firmware upon your purchase and hence it might be incompatible with the newer Athlon II X3 processors until it gets that updated firmware.

fenrir888

i know my mobo is compatible with my processor because it is clearly stated all over the box that is covers AMD phenom II, phenom, anthlon II, anthlon, and sempron processors

my monitor does NOT have selectable inputs, its a flat screen Dell monitor from my old pc thats 7yrs old, it has the blue connector (i forget which one that is)

i did use the raisers i do have the 6-pin in the vid card (though for now i'm not even gonna use the thing until i get a proper post. it is seated properly though. and i have tried without it ending with the same result

the only reason i dont want to remove the processor is that i dont have thermal grease and a cleaner at home.

the problem as far as i can tell is between the RAM,Mobo, and Processor, because i have everything else unconnected atm and still get teh same result.

Last edited: