1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New gaming mouse - which one to choose

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by spectatorx, Aug 18, 2017.

1. spectatorx

Thanks Received:
    My current mouse is getting old and i'm thinking about replacing it. I used to be playing games with awesome microsoft habu mouse but this one is not manufactured anymore unfortunately. I loved in it everything: shape, software, cable, dpi on-the-fly switching. I see razer deathadder seems to be almost perfect replacement but if i am correct it doesn't have dpi switching buttons. Can anyone suggest decent mouse?

What i am looking for:
    - shape like habu or deathadder
    - software allowing to configure dpi
    - thumb-side buttons for happy webbrowsing and binding to them some options in games
    - dpi on-the-fly switch buttons
    - teflon feet
    - gold-plated usb port would be a nice touch.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    ebay gaming mouse, literally thousands of them function just like razer etc, cheaper and last longer too.

Vya Domus says thanks.
  3. Raevenlord

Raevenlord News Editor Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd look for A4Tech mice (they are using the Bloody brand now).

I've been using one of them (pre-Bloody era) for... maybe 6 years now? No problem whatsoever. They have all the features you need, and you can purchase one for around $20, or $30, if you want a wireless version. I wouldn't spend anything more than that when I can buy one A4Tech at that price.

EntropyZ and GreiverBlade say thanks.
  4. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    My new cheap favorite is A4Tech x7. Alternatively - any Rapoo gaming mouse of your liking.
    They make some cool ergonomic stuff, but their gaming mice aren't too bad either (v210, v280).

Edit: crap... @Raevenlord beat me w/ A4Tech.

Edit2: Also, if you want to try something unusual - you may want to look at Luom gaming mice. They have some weird transformer-like modular mice that look childish, but I've tried G10 a couple of years ago and I liked it. Has a nice software for macros and customization too. But that's just my experience, cause I like heavy and big mice, which most people find uncomfortable.
    Still using my old G5 with an extra 25g in the cartridge.

GreiverBlade and Raevenlord say thanks.
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i have A4
    btw if talking about gaming mouse you gonna have from $10 to $150
    how much your budget?
    razr? i dunno i read many got err with that brand

6. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    You don't need software to change "rodent's" sensitivity. For instance my Sharkoon Shark Force, which is a very good and unexpensive mouse, has dedicated DPI button for 800, 1000 and 1600 DPI settings, two buttons on the left side, gold plated USB-plug, braided cable, extra "foot pads"...

A4 has some good products like TL70, than there are Ravcore Typhoon Avago 9800, Ravcore Cyclone Avago 9800, Cougar 500M etc.

7. spectatorx

Thanks Received:
    A4 tech back in the day was very crappy, they were manufacturing very budget mice and keyboards which were awful. As i was working at local computer shop i was selling them and i saw how horrible they are. I'm surprised many people are recommending it now. I took a look at their gaming optical wired mice and i see only one mouse which is shaped for right handed people. I hate both-hands-shaped mice, at least i hated microsoft sidewinder x3, its shape was horrible and my palm was aching from using it for more than few hours.

Is a4tech a.k.a. blood really that good nowadays? I could go for this A90 mouse but i see it has no dpi switching buttons, instead it has two macros keys but is it possible to bind to them switching between 4 different dpi values?

I was buying microsoft habu for around 60 euros so that's my budget on mouse.

Sharkoon Shark Force seems to be ok but i do not like its design, too much space for thumb looks funny. Also the pink version FTW! :D

8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Yeah this. The times I've used them they have literally just fallen apart the during the first week. This was a while back though, maybe they've stepped their game up?

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so we have a budget now. I was going to ask about that. I don't know your impression about A4 tech, but I also think for the price you can't get better. I have one brand new right now for about $16 and it came with 10 !!! spare Teflon feet in the box. But 60 euros is a big budget. You can fit in many mice, do you really want to spend all of these money on a mouse or you are willing to save some ? If gaming is not biggest priority, I'd say Logitech Triathlon looks nice.

10. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    60 euro is enough for something decent like Logitech G502 or G400. Always thought G Pro is cool, not because of its ridiculous 12,000dpi sensor, but more because of it looks. Basically an old G5 with new innards and glowing G-spot (pun intended)

11. mad1394

mad1394

Thanks Received:
    Search for Rocket jump ninja on youtube. Good place to start your research.
    If I were to buy a mouse atm it would probably be something from mionix like the castor.

spectatorx says thanks.
  12. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I've had couple of A4's.
    Scroll would get dusty pretty quick and start skipping.
    But that was an easy fix just blow air.
    The thing that really bugged me is that it would work quite high from the mat.
    And from some body used to multiple turns.
    I would end up instead doing two right turns I would do right slight left than right again.

13. spectatorx

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for awesome suggestion! This guy reviewed some decent mice. I looked on his page:
    http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-reviews/

From what i checked so far the closest ones to what i am looking for are Finalmouse 2016 Classic Ergo, Fnatic Clutch G1, Gigabyte MX300 and probably i will find there few more interesting mice.

mad1394 says thanks.
  14. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    WAY back in the day, A4 made great mice and keyboards. I still have some that work great after 12 years. Then they got real cheap. But in recent years, they started making some good stuff again. But like most manufacturers, they have a wide variety, some cheap, some top notch.

Still, IMO, no one can recommend which mouse (or keyboard) you should get. These HIDs (human interface devices) are extensions of our own hands. What "feels" great to me, may feel totally awkward or even painful in your hands. You really need to go play touchy-feely and decide for yourself.

vega22 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. vega22

vega22

Thanks Received:

this ^^^^

as much as i don't want to agree with bill :p he is right on the money here.

bit of a razor fanboi myself, if i am honest, but i use ducky and logitech more now as they are far more reliable.

i miss the hyper wheel and 4 way scroll now on my deathadder :|

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    One more reason to go to a physical store and leave some greasy fingerprints on merchandise :roll:

17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    So I love the G502. But I bought a utility mouse just for working on PCs. The Sharkoon Fire glider. $30. It's a big mouse and works killer. Most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Great for gaming. I have literally abused this mouse and it just keeps going

18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Whaaaaaat there is actually one factually correct answer to the mouse question, and it is Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, but them's gone, sadly. MS has made so many nice tthings and then just forgetting about them. :(

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    And take a bottle of hand sanitizer with you! ;)
    This is so true. I don't know who makes the mice and keyboards for MS, but I have found them (most anyway) to be great in terms of "feel" (at least in my hands) but also in reliability. I can only assume it is a different maker from the one that makes MS Surface Books. :(

FTR, I did not like the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 because (while right-handed) I use my mouse with my left hand and that mouse is "contoured" for the right hand. But for that matter, I don't like contoured mice in general, regardless which hand they are contoured for.

BTW, if you really want one, it seems Amazon still has them.

Frick and silentbogo say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  20. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Not what you want I'm sure but I love my Logitech G600. Having all those extra buttons has made gaming so much better.

21. peche

peche Thermaltake fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Jetster says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
  23. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    im not going through the requisites youve listed, but a Good gaming mouse IME would be the Steelseries Sensei, the Logitech G502 , Corsair M45, Logitech G403 (wired or wireless), all VERY nice and all in the top 10 or so of their fields if not top 5.

24. mrthanhnguyen

Thanks Received:
    Are you a casual noob player or a pro? What kind of game do you play?

peche says thanks.
  25. Norton

Norton Moderator & WCG-TPU Captain Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at the Logitech G300s- it's nearly perfect for righty's who prefer to use a mouse lefty as long as your hands aren't super-sized (like mine)

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD