• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New GPU for an MXM laptop?

miloshs

System Name Begginer's E
Processor Intel E8500
Motherboard DFI LT X48-T2R
Cooling Thermalright HR-01 Plus & Silverstone FM-121B (800-2400rpm)
Memory 2x2gb GEIL Ultra Plus PC8500 CL5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 1gb
Storage WD 1tb Black Series
Display(s) ASUS VW242HS 24"
Case CoolerMaster 690
Audio Device(s) ICH8 integrated crappie
Power Supply OCZ 700W xStream SLI PSU
Software Windows 7 x64
Hey guys...

I have this little problem (well its actually a friends problem)... An Alienware m5550 with (probably, didn't get to test it yet) a dead GeForce 7700M... I'll get to it this weekend and see if it's actually the GPU or something else!

Just wanted to ask if any of you know if there is a shop (onilne or offline :D) where i might be able to get an MXM module GeForce 7600, 7700, 8400, 8600GS or a similar card for a laptop? Hey why not even 8600GT if it will go with the temp requirements of a laptop?

I've heard that m5550's are a pain in the but when it comes to GPU's (overheating,dying,etc..), feel free to disclose any info you might have, or any sugestions...

Feel free also to discuss what would happen if i were to put 8 series M card to a 7 series laptop (mobo)...

Actually any info is appreciated.. TNX:respect:

ktr

Probably ebay is your best bet, but not for cheap. A 8600 or a 3650 would cost you $200. MXM cards are only sold the OEM manufactures, and is very pricey to buy from them (they add their own markup).

Things you have to make sure are:

* Notebook output configuration.
* Video out configuration.
* MXM heatsink thermal rating.
* Notebook power supply capabilities.

The alienware m5550 has a type III slot.

Here is a good site for info on MXM: http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/

Happy hunting!

miloshs

System Name Begginer's E
Processor Intel E8500
Motherboard DFI LT X48-T2R
Cooling Thermalright HR-01 Plus & Silverstone FM-121B (800-2400rpm)
Memory 2x2gb GEIL Ultra Plus PC8500 CL5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 1gb
Storage WD 1tb Black Series
Display(s) ASUS VW242HS 24"
Case CoolerMaster 690
Audio Device(s) ICH8 integrated crappie
Power Supply OCZ 700W xStream SLI PSU
Software Windows 7 x64
Thanks, the funny thing is that i already tried that website, and i keep getting broken link stuff.... All i can view is Chrome's snapshot of the page on september 1st...

Speaking of thermal and PSU compatibility, im guessing that a GF8400GS has no problems going into 7700 spot? Right? Its supposed to be slower, thus less power draw and heat...

And what do you actually think when you say:

* Video out configuration.??

Isn't the video out connector bolted down to the mobo?
Oh one more thing.... Im guessing MXM slots are backwards compatible? Type I or II card to Type III slot? Or not?

ktr

Thanks, the funny thing is that i already tried that website, and i keep getting broken link stuff.... All i can view is Chrome's snapshot of the page on september 1st...

Speaking of thermal and PSU compatibility, im guessing that a GF8400GS has no problems going into 7700 spot? Right? Its supposed to be slower, thus less power draw and heat...

And what do you actually think when you say:

* Video out configuration.??

Isn't the video out connector bolted down to the mobo?

Oh one more thing.... Im guessing MXM slots are backwards compatible? Type I or II card to Type III slot? Or not?

The video does come from a video LCD header from the mobo.

Quote from the site "The output configuration is used to 'tell' the MXM what kind of panel is attached, if a DVI out is present, if there's TV out, what type it is etc."

And the slots are not backwards compatible, as type I, II, or III differs in layout (size, and mounting holes). But Type I cards are forward compatible with Type II, III, and type II, is forward compatible with type III (in other words, smaller cards can fit in larger slots).