• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new HD6870 leaves artifacts on screen :(

mushu

So I upgraded from a good-but-slow HD4650 to a Gigabyte 3-fan HD6870OC on my Win XPSP3/32bit Intel Core2 Duo CPU@2.2GHz (CPU is overclocked 5% to 2.31GHz) box with 4GB of RAM and Catalyst version 11.9 drivers. It is the only vid card inserted in the PCI-Ex16 slot and is running at x16. I downloaded the drivers from the official website and did not install the ones that came on the CD, assuming they would be older.

After a while, maybe ten to 15 minutes, I began seeing little graphic glitches around the cursor and in World of Warcraft (WoW) game when I turn to look at the sky or even just randomly, huge long triangles of color and texture stretch from certain objects in the scene. If I do something in the WoW Options to force the game to reset the graphics mode, such as enable or disable buffering in the Advanced tab, it will reset and look beautiful...until it starts up again after a little while.

CPU-Z version 0.5.5 shows everything at the correct temperature (GPU=34c) with fan speed at 40% since I assumed it was an overheating issue. VDDC=0.950v and I did not overclock it, it comes from the factory overclocked at 915MHz GPU and 1050MHz Memory. In fact, the driver's AMD Overdrive window is blank for me, I assume that only works on boxes with an AMD CPU/Chipset.

It will even randomly put glitches in my Windows background image that do not go away when I hit F5 to refresh the Desktop. Any comments from peeps smarter about this stuff than I am? I don't want to cry because then my tears will fry the computer and I'd really be sad... :(

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
is it tight? plugged in all the way? is it over heating or over clocked?

AltecV1

Processor C2D E8400@3.6 ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM
Cooling Freezer 7 pro
Memory Kingston 4GB 800Mhz cl6
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 700/1000 + Accelero S1 Rev. 2
Storage WD 250 GB AAKS
Display(s) 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Audio Device(s) int.
Power Supply Forton Blue Storm II 500W
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
try different drivers like the 11.8 and 11.10 preview coz if they dont work its just that your OC card cant handle that OC and you should return it and they should give you a new one FOR FREE

mushu

is it tight? plugged in all the way? is it over heating or over clocked?
Yes it is plugged in all the way, there is a little tab on the end of the PCI-E slot that locks on the edge of the card and if you don't plug it in all the way you won't hear the little "click" as it seats. It is not overheating per GPU-Z (as I put in my original TL:DR post above). It is overclocked from the factory because I cannot use the AMD Overdrive program due to not having an AMD Chipset on the motherboard (as I put in my original TL:DR post above).

mushu

try different drivers like the 11.8 and 11.10 preview coz if they dont work its just that your OC card cant handle that OC and you should return it and they should give you a new one FOR FREE
Is it easy to downgrade drivers for Catalyst software? With Nvidia I had to use a special Nvidia Driver Cleaner iirc to make sure that everything was properly removed from the Registry and the driver directories etc before installing a lower driver version, else it wouldn't overwrite some files and caused all sorts of random problems.

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
Is it easy to downgrade drivers for Catalyst software? With Nvidia I had to use a special Nvidia Driver Cleaner iirc to make sure that everything was properly removed from the Registry and the driver directories etc before installing a lower driver version, else it wouldn't overwrite some files and caused all sorts of random problems.

you need to remove any traces of AMD drivers before installing a new one.;)

If you think youre doing it all right.(trieda couple of drivers, GPU not overheating, GPU connected properly) then ou should return it and get it checked so you can get a replacement. remember it is factory OC'ed so theres a big chance its the cards fault

Off Topic Advice: Try to upgrade the CPU to at least 3 GHz(quad core preferably) so you could max out the performance of the 6870 :D

mushu

you need to remove any traces of AMD drivers before installing a new one.;)

If you think you're doing it all right.(tried a couple of drivers, GPU not overheating, GPU connected properly) then you should return it and get it checked so you can get a replacement. remember it is factory OC'ed so theres a big chance its the cards fault

Off Topic Advice: Try to upgrade the CPU to at least 3 GHz(quad core preferably) so you could max out the performance of the 6870 :D
I pulled it out and put back in my old HIS HD5770 to see if it will work slightly overclocked. I uninstalled drivers/rebooted/reinstalled 11.9 drivers. Weirdly, now I actually *can* access the AMD Overdrive overclocker screen?! So I pushed the GPU to 900MHz up from the default 875MHz and left the Memory clock alone at its default of 1250MHz (which is way faster than the 6870's 1150??)

I have a new mobo/cpu on the way, a Fatal1ty mobo with intel i5 quad@3.3GHz and 8MB more RAM. Hope that removes the CPU bottleneck in my current system...and perhaps the 6870 will run better on that mobo as well. Will be installing Win7ult also.

Anyway we'll see if the 5770 gives me any graphic glitches in WoW or anywhere else. I'm beginning to think that the 6870 is a pile of crap. Perhaps it's only good on systems running DX11 under Win7. Dunno but if I can't get my framerate up I won't be allowed to raid by my guild and Lord knows that would be the end of the world! :)

hey mushu,
Cards can do funny things when they dont have a decent power source i hope you have an adequate power supply at present and for the upgrade in the future the symptoms you describe may well point to psu problems.

just put a dx11 card in my wow playing buddies rig...
judging from his epic appreciation email im going to say the 6870 is the card cataclysm needs.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Use older drivers...Your running DX9

Raijian

Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.9 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula 890FX
Cooling Thermaltake Frio + Additional Fan
Memory 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 5870 1GB + ATi Radeon HD 5870 [Crossfire]
Display(s) Samsung 25" LED
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower
Audio Device(s) ASRock VIA HD Onboard 7.1 Audio
Power Supply Kingwin Mach 1 1000W
Software Windows 7 x64 Professional / Backtrack 5
Mushu, I had that exact same problem years ago when I put an 8800GT in a stock HP computer I bought from an electronics store.

The power supply was just barely hitting the limit for the GPU and I was an idiot and a kid so I left my PC on 24/7 with screensavers and stuff. I had overheated the card and I was getting massive stretching triangles when looking in different places around WoW.

I bought a new computer eventually, but it's probably a PSU/heating issue.

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
I have a new mobo/cpu on the way, a Fatal1ty mobo with intel i5 quad@3.3GHz and 8MB more RAM. Hope that removes the CPU bottleneck in my current system...and perhaps the 6870 will run better on that mobo as well. Will be installing Win7ult also.

It will run super fast I guarantee. just remember to install W7 64bit

Once upon a time I was using a HD 5850 with C2Q Q8200 @ 3.2 Ghz and 4 GBs of RAM.
then I upgraded to i7-2600k @ 4.5 Ghz and 8 Gigs of RAM, same Vcard and guess what

Lots of Performance Increase :rockout:

thats a nice upgrade. just remember to have a good working PSU.
The PSU is the most important part of a system. :D

To really find the culprit of this problem you should do a trial and error.(which you are already doing) :banghead:

If the GPU doesnt give you artifacts on other Drivers. Driver Problem.

If the 6870 gives you artifacts on other systems... GPU problem.

If your 5770 also gives you artifacts on the SAME system.. PSU problem.
but its hard to tell cause their different cards.

If after that upgrade, assuming your not changing the PSU, and the GPU doesnt show artifacts on other systems, and you still got artifacts. then its the PSU.

If after that upgrade, assuming your changing the PSU, and you still got artifacts. then its the GPU.

and would you mind if you put your system specs in your user details. in that way the next time you'll have a problem you don't have to post your specs. :)

mushu

It will run super fast I guarantee. just remember to install W7 64bit

Once upon a time I was using a HD 5850 with C2Q Q8200 @ 3.2 Ghz and 4 GBs of RAM.
then I upgraded to i7-2600k @ 4.5 Ghz and 8 Gigs of RAM, same Vcard and guess what

Lots of Performance Increase :rockout:

thats a nice upgrade. just remember to have a good working PSU.
The PSU is the most important part of a system. :D
I grabbed an Antec 900W power supply that was listed on the vendor website as having been tested and conformed to their specs for the 6870. My previous 700W PSU actually fried the previous 3 vid cards and a mobo before I figured out it was the culprit...sheesh.

To really find the culprit of this problem you should do a trial and error.(which you are already doing) :banghead:

If the GPU doesnt give you artifacts on other Drivers. Driver Problem.

If the 6870 gives you artifacts on other systems... GPU problem.

If your 5770 also gives you artifacts on the SAME system.. PSU problem.
but its hard to tell cause their different cards.
It (5770) is working fine so far just very slow. In fact right now it's a break from raiding tonight and unfortunately I'm still pulling under 10FPS in the intensive parts of the fight and that's with everything turned down in the effects and settings. Very disappointed... :( All I can think is that it is a CPU/RAM bottleneck in my system.

If after that upgrade, assuming your not changing the PSU, and the GPU doesnt show artifacts on other systems, and you still got artifacts. then its the PSU.

If after that upgrade, assuming your changing the PSU, and you still got artifacts. then its the GPU.
So after I get my new mobo/cpu/ram/win7ult64 tomorrow I'll try the 6870 again and see if it screws up...if it does I send it back.