1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New homebrew is not booting.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by waltb, Mar 13, 2007.

1. waltb New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've double checked all connections and jumpers.

I had made a power supply connection error. The 20 pin supply plug connects only one way to the 24 pin motherboard connecter, however the 4 pin supply plug I placed into the separate 4 pin connector on the MB (for the CPU supply), but a tag on the power supply plug said it WARNING - for 24 pin ATX connector only. The fans and leds flickered on very briefly when incorrectly connected, and immediately shut down. I hope I didn't damage anything. I have connected the 4 pin to the remaining empty 4 pins on the 24 pin ATX connector. Now the fans and LEDs run as designed (with or without the 4 pin connector plugged in).

However, nothing else happens. The monitor stops saying "No Signal" immediately when the fans start, but nothing else happens. No "beep", only the fans and LEDs continue.

Suggestions, please.

TIA.

Rosewill power supply RP500-2
    MB Biostar 945P-A7A-R05 Ver 8.1
    Intel Pentium D 820

Walt B

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    diconnect power and reset CMOS using CMOS jumper on mobo. Be sure to replace jumper to original position before applying power. Can't think of anything else ATM.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    also, recheck all connections, take your time make sure they are correct!! What video card are you using and does it need a power connector/is it plugged in?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. waltb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, will do.

The vid card is a GeForce 7600GT. I can't find a power connector on the card. There are a series of contacts at the top of the board, part of the copper foil strips, not a connector soldered onto the board. Similar to the contacts that fit into the connector on the mobo, but on the top, not molex pins, but copper foil etched out on the pc card. About 14 of the contacts across about 5/8". The vid card fan works.

Walt B

5. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    There is no power connector on the 7600GT, check that you hav mounted the motherboard correctly and that there are no extra stands underneath the board, or any cables trapped underneath.

6. waltb New Member

Thanks Received:
    The possibility of a standoff shorting the board from the back side is interesting. I was very careful about choosing the standoff locations -- I marked the the locations on the case with a pencil through the clearly identified holes on the motherboard, so I don't think I made a mistake, but obviously something is wrong, and I'll take your advice, unless I find something easier to try first. I'll first unplug everything (I've actually done that already) and try again. That's how I discovered that the 4 pin ATX power plug was incorrectly inserted.

But first, I'll reset the CMOS.

wb

7. waltb New Member

Thanks Received:
    I reset the CMOS according to instructions. No improvement.
    Power-on led on front of case no longer glows. Connections are correct.
    I removed the mobo from the case. Standoffs look proper. All unnecessary connections removed. No improvement. Fans spin properly. No "power" on led on front of case. Connection for led is correct.
    Digital flat screen monitor says "No Signal" until computer starts, then screen goes blank.
    No "beep".
    I took my digital flat screen monitor to my other computer, it works fine with the old analog connector (analog output to analog input on the monitor), but does not work analog output to cable adapter to digital input. Screen is dead.

Walt B

8. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    There should be an LED on the board itself to tell you if any power is getting through to the board. Check to see if it comes on when the power is turned on.

9. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Need more system specs(all). Try booting with just one stick of memory(?). Make sure it is in the proper slot according to mobo manuel for memory type/configuration.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. waltb New Member

Thanks Received:
    No LED visible on the board. Will try booting with one memory stick. But I thought they always had to be in pairs.

wb

11. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    No, you only need them in pairs if you use dual channel. A PC will function perfectly well with just one memory stick.

12. waltb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update

I received an RMA from Newegg but before I sent the mobo back, I brought the project to a repair shop. $30 later we found I did not connect a four pin connecter to the CPU connector on the mobo. I had connected only the 20 pin APEX to the 24 pin mobo APEX and a 4 pin APEX to the remaining 4 pins on the mobo. I did not search for 3rd connector from the power supply.

It boots to bio now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Walt B