1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New keyboard, mouse and 2.1

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GJM0107, Jun 24, 2009.

1. GJM0107

Thanks Received:
    Just finished my new computer and thought what the heck, let's get some new periphials :nutkick:

a mouse: G5/G7/G9 or sidewinder (any experiences with this one?)
    a keyboard: microsoft X6, logitech G15
    a 2.1 sound set: logitech vs. creative or ????

Any form of advice is welcome, feel free to suggest a diffrent brand or share your experiences with your periphials :D Anything goes, I'll be the judge of price :cool:

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Hop on the G9 now for $20 AMIR. Don't get a G15... you'll probably never use the LCD screen anyway.

3. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    I can comment on the G7, I used one for about 3 years. It's a great mouse, never had any problems except mine broke. Hot swap batteries is great especially since you get 2. Can't seem to find another one locally which sucks as there's absolutely fuck all wireless mice on my etailer.

But the G7 is a great mouse, on the fly DPI switching is cool too.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Logitech for 2.1, if you can find an older x-230, I've had mine for years, they sound great, have tons of bass, lots of volume, and can be found pretty damn cheap. They trump the creative 2.1 set I spent MORE on for my fiance's rig...not even a fair comparison! Creative makes some decent speakers, but you'd spend more money to get them. The x-230's are quite old though, I've had mine over 3 years now without a hiccup, issue, and they just keep on going.

I have a G5, great mouse, I love it, I hear the G9 is better though...but the G5 works great for me, and has been damn dependable. I also have a G15, it's a nice KB, I only use the LCD for watching cpu temps thru core temp and gpu temps/fps via evga precision, beyond that it's useless for me.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. unibrow1990

unibrow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just got a sidewinder a couple weeks ago and it's the best mouse i've ever used.

6. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    Logitech UltraX keyboard + MX510 + X-230 = UBER reliable combo, seen many epic LAN parties and still kicking as new! :respect:

If you can live with a wire, get the G5 (worthy sucessor of MX5xx, ergonomics are just perfect for me)

7. Wetbehindtheears New Member

Thanks Received:
    G7 is a great mouse... never had any problems with mine...

My Logitech X-230 is good but I do like my Z10's as well but only use them on my laptop...

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    my picks are Cyber Snipa Stinger, iOne Scorpius M10 and M-Audio AV 40.

i'll be blunt. the Stinger is in essence a Logitech G5 improvement with a lower price tag. the iOne Scorpius M10 Mechanical Keyboard offers tremendous value and performance for it's price tag in comparison to the flagship models offered by Razer and Logitech. the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 offers great value and higher quality than any Logitech 2.0/2.1 speaker set but it has a higher price tag ($20 more than the Logitech Z-2300 2.1)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  9. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Omg I've never noticed the Stinger.. looks like a great mouse indeed. It's got 3200 DPI, up to 1000Hz response time, and fully programmable buttons. Hm... that may be my next mouse!

10. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    For speakers, I recommend the Creatives 2.1. The Logitech only have mids which gives you a pretty bad range.

Creatives include both mids and tweeters. Which give you ok lows and ok mid range.

Unlike Logitech which only give you ok mids. I say "ok" because you can't expect great sounds. I would use a home theater speakers if I could.

I have the Logitech 5.1. And all 5 speakers have 2 mids. LOL. Just horrible. Matter of fact, none of Logitech speakers have tweeters.

For the keyboard, I'm picking up the Logitech ultrathin Illuminated keyboard.

11. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the Stinger is really nice it's big, sleek, ergonomic, shaped for Logitech refugees, vertical and horizontal scrolling, 3200 dpi laser, on the fly dpi with led indicator via scroll wheel, 9 buttons 6 are programmable, on-board memory, weight system, anti-slip grips, huge teflon feet with a extra set in the bundle, long cord, gold plated usb connector, excellent tracking and good drivers.

cheapest I can find it is for $36 USD $8 less than the Logitech G5 at Buy.com couple other stores have it under $40

12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I'm reading up reviews on it right now. At $37 shipped on Buy this thing is a steal! I was going to buy a G5 off someone on [H] for $35 BNIB but I might change my mind. Only thing stopping me is Cyber Snipa's warranty and customer support. Logitech basically asks for a serial number and when confirmed it's within warranty they send you a new item without requiring you to send it back. Not sure how Cyber works in this department though.

Hm... 3 year Logitech warranty versus 1 year from Cyber Snipa. ^_^

13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it's a $37 mouse not a $3700 television.

14. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    ^_^ I'm a 16 year old kid not a 36 year old man with a job. ^_^

15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Corsair has a 5 year warranty on power supplies if the warranty was a primary factor in purchasing one everybody would own one.

16. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    If I had the cash I'd definitely go Corsair; for quality and warranty purposes. :p

17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    well my SteelSeries Ikari Laser cost $89 USD and only has a 1 year warranty I could careless.

18. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a steady income? :p

19. SirMango

Thanks Received:
    G7 is a really nice mouse. Expect to change the battery once a day though. Mine has been acting up recently though; single clicks are registering as double clicks. Asides from that, one of my favourite mice.

Looks into some OCZ mice if you're looking for something inexpensive. The Behemoth is a nice mouse, though I'm still getting used to it (coming from the G7).

20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I see your point. but the $89 USD was well spent all the laughter filled in my belly and cheek aches from gunning down people with it. :eek:

by the way the OCZ Behemoth is a re-branded Creative HD7600.

21. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    get a wired mouse, unless its that big of a deal ull save on batteries and never have to worry about it dieing in a gaming marathon :p

22. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Mouse: G9 for $20 after rebate. Keyboard: G15 is nice. Speaker: Klipsch Promedia 2.1 blows Logitech sets away. I had them all and highly recommend them.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the G9 isn't for everybody it's asymmetrical and can give people who use palm grip cramps not to mention only 2 grips it's a great deal but you really have to be 100% sure about it. the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 isn't in stock in America at the moment it's also more expensive than the M-Audio Studiophile and people who own both claim doesn't sound as good. the only reason to buy the G15 is if you desperately want the LCD because you can create your own more sophisticated macros with any keyboard by a tool called AutoHotKey otherwise any $10 rubber dome keyboard will do.

24. GJM0107

Thanks Received:
    Well thnx for all the input, I'm going to a store where all the mouses are on display so I can grip them and feel what suits me (G9 vs. sidewinder). The keyboard is going to be the Microsoft X6. The only thing left are the speakers. My doubts are between a high quality 2.0 like Gigawork T40 or M-Audio AV40. Or should I take a 2.1 like Altec-Lansing MX5021E.
    So I'm asking you again for those valuable 2 cents ;)

25. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    M-Audio Studophile AV 40. you won't be disappointed.