• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New keyboard recommendation

Processor Intel i5-12400F
Motherboard Asus Prime H610M-A WIFI D4
Memory CORSAIR VENGENCE 16GB LPX DDR4 3200MHZ
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) MSi Optix 27" 1440p 144hz + MSI OPTIX 27" 1440P 165HZ
Case COOLER MASTER MB320L ARGB
Power Supply Corsair cv650
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent
Software Windows 11 PRO
Wassup all.

Thinking its about time for an upgrade.
This time my old and trusting Logitech G15 has to go.:respect:..its done me proud.

Have 2 in mind..

Im not really fussed on brand,but must have a wrist support. budget of about 100£-120£.

Or perhaps i could go for a Keyboard and Mouse combo at the right price.

D

Deleted member 24505

Well i heartily recommend the corsair k65 lux RGB, Not usre about logitech ones, but imo the icue software can control settings on all your corsair devices. I'm using a k65 lux rgb keyboars, scimitar rgb mouse, and commander pro for fans and rgb strips, all managed by icue. Take a look.

Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G203
Software Windows 11 PRO
Well i heartily recommend the corsair k65 lux RGB, Not usre about logitech ones, but imo the icue software can control settings on all your corsair devices. I'm using a k65 lux rgb keyboars, scimitar rgb mouse, and commander pro for fans and rgb strips, all managed by icue. Take a look.

yea i did see that one aswell.

thats a good looking board with good reviews.

Just an idea: wrist rests are sold separately for few coins. And if your chair has the correct height I see no point in a wrist rest....

D

Deleted member 24505

yea i did see that one aswell.

thats a good looking board with good reviews.

Its a tkl, tenk key less board, personally I don't miss the num pad. incidentally I have a rgb profile for this for farcry 5 that is pretty darn impressive to see too, there are lots of great rgb profiles on the net for this board.

Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G203
Software Windows 11 PRO

also this one has 50£ off which seems pretty good.
Well I have used the Corsair K95 for years and its been a good keyboard. Even survived a soda poured in it. (Lots of 99.9% Alcohol and contact cleaner later)
But the switches are soldered in so can't change the switches without de-soldering I think.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Just an idea: wrist rests are sold separately for few coins. And if your chair has the correct height I see no point in a wrist rest....
I agree that wrist supports (and nice, gel padded ones too) can be sold separately so you probably should not let the lack of an integrated support keep you from buying a keyboard you otherwise like.

I disagree completely with the suggestion wrist support is not needed with proper chair height. That may be true from some folks but that is just by lucky chance based on where their keyboard sits with their own desk. Proper chair height for proper ergonomics should be set (if possible) based on your body dimensions, not your keyboard height. That is, your feet should rest flat on the floor, your knees should be slightly lower than your waist and your legs bent slightly more than a right (90°) angle. That is, they should not be straight out in front of you or tucked under your butt.

That, of course, has nothing to do with keyboard height. And I note most keyboards have rear height adjustments to change the tilt of the keyboard that may or may not aggravate (or alleviate) wrist pain. That is not a chair function.

Proper posture (hip, spine and neck alignment) when sitting is much more important than your wrist's angle of attack when it comes to desk chairs. And chair height is all about how your feet sit flat on the floor. Wrist alignment is certainly important, but spine and neck come first.

@stuartb04 - You didn't say what you use this computer for.

Note that keyboards (and mice) are extensions of our own hands and therefore, need to feel right with our own hands, not others. What feels great to me may feel awkward or even painful in yours. I, for example, like a curved keyboard so my wrists can approach "naturally" at an angle instead of having to twist at the wrist and approach from the center of my chest. What I am saying is you really need to go visit local stores and play touchy feely with these keyboards for yourself to feel which feels best to you. Just take some hand sanitizer with you! :eek: Also, keep in mind those demo models have probably been abused so the keystrokes/clicks may not feel like a new keyboard might.

Do you really want an RGB keyboard? I realize they are all the latest rage but I have several clients who has used (or have kids who have used) RGB keyboards. And while they may love the feel, function and performance of the keyboards, once the novelty of the pretty lights wore off, they found the RGB lighting to be more distracting than anything else. After all it is what's happening on the monitor(s) that's important.

Or perhaps i could go for a Keyboard and Mouse combo at the right price.
Well the problem with a set is you might really like the keyboard, but not the mouse. Or the mouse but not the keyboard. If wireless, they typically work with just one USB dongle so that is really nice. FTR, I don't know who makes the keyboards and mice for Microsoft, but I really like the Wireless Comfort 5050 set. The curved design is easy on my wrist, the wireless is encrypted :) and the universal mouse is really great at tracking and I like it because I use my mouse with my left hand even though I am right-handed. And also FTR, my wrist could not live without Belkin Gel Wrist Pad. They offer a keyboard wrist pad too but I don't need it with this keyboard.

But again, while they feel great in my hands, you need to try it for yourself. All I can really say is the build-quality is great, the keystrokes are firm, but not too hard (how I like them), and the wireless feature works great. I do recommend using rechargeable AA batteries as with my usage, I have to replace them about every 5 months.

Speaking of wireless keyboards and mice - I love them. I love never having wires get tangled in my feet. And I especially love never having a wire pull back on my mouse.

D

Deleted member 24505

also this one has 50£ off which seems pretty good.

That's not bad but too big for me with num pad

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Have a look at some of the new low profile mechanical keyboards. The Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile is really nice to type on, while still being good for gaming. A bit too rich for your budget though, but there might be some other good alternatives.

I backed this on Kickstarter and so far it's been a solid keyboard, even though their software isn't done yet https://wooting.io/wootingtwo
No wrist rest though.

I am very disappointed that these are now proced outside the realm of affordability. I;d buy a 2080 Ti before Id buy a $500 KB. I have some to rely on the LCD so much over the years. Only downside was, they won't survive the dishwasher like my older ones did. I keep hoping case manufacturers start including LCDs visible thru the side panel or where 5.25 bays used to go.

Ergonomics is a package and it's not a one size fits all thing ... a well designed desk will have KB frawer with built in wrist rest. I have a foam padded wrist rest for my mouse, but my son who is taller rotates the pad when he uses the puter so that it's on the far side because with his height it's useless. In short tailor your results to your furniture and body dimensions.

The G15 is now $500, I expect that is being determined buy lack of new models, scarcity and the opportunity for gouging the customers who want them. I can't wait for the RGB thing to become passe so manufacturers start thinking of ways to actually innovate and their products with with new useful features.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
a well designed desk will have KB frawer with built in wrist rest.
I'll go along with the keyboard tray or drawer, but not rest. That's an individual preference thing. If you keyboard has a built in wrist rest, do you want a second that may get in the way?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

I am very disappointed that these are now proced outside the realm of affordability. I;d buy a 2080 Ti before Id buy a $500 KB. I have some to rely on the LCD so much over the years. Only downside was, they won't survive the dishwasher like my older ones did. I keep hoping case manufacturers start including LCDs visible thru the side panel or where 5.25 bays used to go.

Ergonomics is a package and it's not a one size fits all thing ... a well designed desk will have KB frawer with built in wrist rest. I have a foam padded wrist rest for my mouse, but my son who is taller rotates the pad when he uses the puter so that it's on the far side because with his height it's useless. In short tailor your results to your furniture and body dimensions.

The G15 is now $500, I expect that is being determined buy lack of new models, scarcity and the opportunity for gouging the customers who want them. I can't wait for the RGB thing to become passe so manufacturers start thinking of ways to actually innovate and their products with with new useful features.

Light up keys are useful so you can see the keys when your room is not fully lit, but RGB is a fancy. I would not buy a $500 keyboard either, but there are some Fidiots who truly believe they are better than a good quality "normal" keyboard. Imo they are just twats.

Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G203
Software Windows 11 PRO

Why is the G15 that much now?

i will be selling mine soon for probably an 1/8 of that price. and its still in very good condition.except the feet underneath have snapped off.

I'll go along with the keyboard tray or drawer, but not rest. That's an individual preference thing. If you keyboard has a built in wrist rest, do you want a second that may get in the way?

No... that would be redundant ... the one on the draw doesn't come off and need to be reassembled and wayyyyy more comfy than anything ever attached to or supplementing a KB ... and in perfect alignment with the matching chair's elbow rests.

Light up keys are useful so you can see the keys when your room is not fully lit, but RGB is a fancy. I would not buy a $500 keyboard either, but there are some Fidiots who truly believe they are better than a good quality "normal" keyboard. Imo they are just twats.

My G15 prolly does RGB, never thought to look how to configure it. It lights up the keys (white), and it displays MSI Afterburner output (or other utilities I might choose, many are game specific) in theLCD, so it does what I want

Why is the G15 that much now?

i will be selling mine soon for probably an 1/8 of that price. and its still in very good condition.except the feet underneath have snapped off.

It's out of production.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
and wayyyyy more comfy than anything ever attached to or supplementing a KB
Not even. And you are trying to impose your opinion on everyone else! And you are assuming built in rests are the same - also not even. And check out the wrist pad I linked to in post #9 above. Can't get any more "comfy" than that and still provide excellent support - IMO.

Plus many keyboards do not have a straight or flat front edges. No telling if a fixed and built in desk wrist rest will meet up flush with those keyboards but that gel pad is flexible.
and in perfect alignment with the matching chair's elbow rests.
LOL That's funny. So you assume all chairs sit at the same height as all keyboard trays or desktops? LOL.

Of course it is in perfect alignment with the chair's elbow rests IF the chair's height just happens to match the keyboard height. But if you are 6'6" or 4'8" and you adjust your chair to feel right, there's no telling where the arm rests will come in.

Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G203
Software Windows 11 PRO
this is my current setup guys.
its pretty much how i sit at a 10-11 o'clock angle.feet on the pouffe or on the desk....with a beer usually of course.
a bit too much rgb maybe for some i have decided to get this keyboard which i think will complete the 'look'....for now.

IMG_20190517_213501.jpg

this is my current setup guys.
its pretty much how i sit at a 10-11 o'clock angle.feet on the pouffe or on the desk....with a beer usually of course.
a bit too much rgb maybe for some i have decided to get this keyboard which i think will complete the 'look'....for now.

View attachment 123189
That is a RGB setup that looks good.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The plants are a nice touch! ;)

I'm over the moon. Just got a Logitech G915 for 170 UK Pounds. Now i'm all wireless with the G900 mouse. G910 is now redundant but is still fairly new still in original box. I must admit the G910 looks cheaply done due the phone holder instead of a real LCD display.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
A bit late to this discussion, but if you're looking at Corsair, have a look at the K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile.
Their low profile keyboards are great to type on and good in games.
I had one for a little while, but I can't get used to the ANSI layout and as I type in additional languages and had my Wooting Two coming anyhow, it was not a keeper.
That said, it was once of the best keyboards with Cherry switches that I've used.
Don't get the speed switches though, as they're way too sensitive when you try to type on it.