• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New NVIDIA GeForce GTX280 Three Times Faster than HD 3870 in Folding@Home

Rebo&Zooty

and I have bills to pay in the present as well; and although we haven't seen anything specific from the F@H project just yet, though it's years of being in operation . . . the thought that the next time around I'll have to face cancer, it'd be nice to see another form of treatment available besides chemotherapy and radiation. As sad as it is, chemo and radiation cause cancer later in life (fighting fire with fire . . . brilliant, eh?), and it's not something I look forward to.

But if my idle processing time goes towards a project that could bring about a better understanding of cancer in general, and better methods of treatment, or aide in finding a cure for terminal diseases and otherwise, I'm more than willing to pay a few extra cents a day on the electric bills.

I guess I just take a different approach because I've been down those roads where treatment is still primitive, and medical understanding of the malignancies is still vague as well. Sure, it might look like the project hasn't accomplished anything yet . . . but, we (humanity) as a whole need to quit thinking of how things going on in the here and now affect us in the here and now . . .

as a famous scientist once said "Marty, you're not thinking fourth dimensionally!"

this is typical western view, "hows it effect me right now" "why should i care"

Its part of why america is in the state its in, people are to short sited....

oh and also part of this is selfishness, people like jonmcc33 only think about themselves and the how it effects them in the moment, not how it may effect them later or how it could effect their familys/friends or anybody else later down the line.

jonmcc33

System Name BLACK
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2GHz
Motherboard Abit IP35-E @ 1600FSB
Cooling Thermalright XP-90 w/92mm ADDA fan
Memory 4GB Hynix DDR2-667 @ 800MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon X1900XT
Storage (2) 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) Samsung 225BW
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows Vista Business x64 SP1
and I have bills to pay in the present as well; and although we haven't seen anything specific from the F@H project just yet, though it's years of being in operation . . . the thought that the next time around I'll have to face cancer, it'd be nice to see another form of treatment available besides chemotherapy and radiation. As sad as it is, chemo and radiation cause cancer later in life (fighting fire with fire . . . brilliant, eh?), and it's not something I look forward to.

But if my idle processing time goes towards a project that could bring about a better understanding of cancer in general, and better methods of treatment, or aide in finding a cure for terminal diseases and otherwise, I'm more than willing to pay a few extra cents a day on the electric bills.

I guess I just take a different approach because I've been down those roads where treatment is still primitive, and medical understanding of the malignancies is still vague as well. Sure, it might look like the project hasn't accomplished anything yet . . . but, we (humanity) as a whole need to quit thinking of how things going on in the here and now affect us in the here and now . . .

as a famous scientist once said "Marty, you're not thinking fourth dimensionally!"

1. 8 years and nothing. It could be 50-100 more and nothing.
2. Many people run F@H with 100% CPU utilization and that burns through power. Let's go ahead and destroy the planet because it's an unlimited resource after all. :rolleyes:
3. Do you really think if they actually find a cure they are going to give it out? No, medical companies make massive profits from just treating diseases/problems. Seen it happen far too much in my life to believe in some miracle cure.

Christopher Reeve spent more than 10 years hoping for a cure to his spinal cord injury and poured millions (over $65 million to be exact) into charity for stem cell research and it didn't help.

HIV/AIDS victims have been hoping for cures since the disease was discovered in 1981. 27 years later? No cure. That's over 25 million people that have died from it! 2.5 million new HIV cases every year!

Sorry, I guess it's okay to have hope but the F@H project is a joke in my book.

What is the here and now? I have my family first and foremost. Gotta make sure they are clothed, fed and have a roof over their head. Then I have to pay all my bills (car, utility, internet, etc) just to make sure I can live my life happily thinking of the good things.

Mind you that I live in Fort Myers, FL and we're pretty famous for high crime rates. I think we're 3-4 times national average? The thugs that killed NFL football player Sean Taylor were from Fort Myers. It's dead bodies every day, drugs, robbery, rape and the worst traffic I have seen in my entire life....well, next to LA that is.

So I try to keep up on the positive things in my life instead. My daughter is finishing Kindergarten. My Pittsburgh Penguins are in the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in 16 years. And I am not in any debt at all. So hey, I'm gonna be peachy and forget about the lingering possibility that I might die from cancer 30 years from now so I need to expend any amount of energy on finding some miracle cure.

this is typical western view, "hows it effect me right now" "why should i care"

Its part of why america is in the state its in, people are to short sited....

oh and also part of this is selfishness, people like jonmcc33 only think about themselves and the how it effects them in the moment, not how it may effect them later or how it could effect their familys/friends or anybody else later down the line.

Sorry bud, I was in the USAF for 8 years. I served something other than myself and did so proudly. Yep, my life is all about me now. Why? I only live my life on time. I better enjoy it while it's here.

Had to LOL @ your "why American is in the state its in" line. George Bush is the reason why it's in the state that it's in. Has nothing to do with me nor anything I've ever done (or not done).

Your statement about me being selfish is adorable! Like I said, served for 8 years in the USAF. I work day in and day out to provide for my family. Yep, I'm one selfish son of a bitch, eh? :rolleyes:

Cut the bull crap and don't pretend to know complete strangers on the internet there, Dr Phil. Thanks!

Rebo&Zooty

2. Many people run F@H with 100% CPU utilization and that burns through power. Let's go ahead and destroy the planet because it's an unlimited resource after all. :rolleyes:
3. Do you really think if they actually find a cure they are going to give it out? No, medical companies make massive profits from just treating diseases/problems. Seen it happen far too much in my life to believe in some miracle cure.

Christopher Reeve spent more than 10 years hoping for a cure to his spinal cord injury and poured millions (over $65 million to be exact) into charity for stem cell research and it didn't help.

HIV/AIDS victims have been hoping for cures since the disease was discovered in 1981. 27 years later? No cure. That's over 25 million people that have died from it! 2.5 million new HIV cases every year!

What is the here and now? I have my family first and foremost. Gotta make sure they are clothed, fed and have a roof over their head. Then I have to pay all my bills (car, utility, internet, etc) just to make sure I can live my life happily thinking of the good things.

Mind you that I live in Fort Myers, FL and we're pretty famous for high crime rates. I think we're 3-4 times national average? The thugs that killed NFL football player Sean Taylor were from Fort Myers. It's dead bodies every day, drugs, robbery, rape and the worst traffic I have seen in my entire life....well, next to LA that is.

So I try to keep up on the positive things in my life instead. My daughter is finishing Kindergarten. My Pittsburgh Penguins are in the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in 16 years. And I am not in any debt at all. So hey, I'm gonna be peachy and forget about the lingering possibility that I might die from cancer 30 years from now so I need to expend any amount of energy on finding some miracle cure.

Sorry bud, I was in the USAF for 8 years. I served something other than myself and did so proudly. Yep, my life is all about me now. Why? I only live my life on time. I better enjoy it while it's here.

Had to LOL @ your "why American is in the state its in" line. George Bush is the reason why it's in the state that it's in. Has nothing to do with me nor anything I've ever done (or not done).

Your statement about me being selfish is adorable! Like I said, served for 8 years in the USAF. I work day in and day out to provide for my family. Yep, I'm one selfish son of a bitch, eh? :rolleyes:

Cut the bull crap and don't pretend to know complete strangers on the internet there, Dr Phil. Thanks!

serving means jack shit about weather or not ur selfish, i know plenty of people who are life long millatary who are as selfish as you can get and alwase have been, to me your typical "me me me" and give excuses you dont do for others.

and george bush and his ilk are very short sighted, thats why they do what they do, its all about making a profit as quick as possable, this war is only being run the way it is because bush and his buddys want to keep it going as long as possable so they make as much off the war as possable.

in my book your just like bush, only care about whats good for you, and again your serving in the armed forces means JACK SHIT about weather or not ur a selfish, thats like saying somebody who works in fast food isnt selfish because they spend their time serving others all day, or that a doctor cant be selfish because he "helps" people all day.....

also would like to point out, if you dont like where you live because of crime rate or whatever MOVE, nobodys forcing you to stay there, nobodys making you live in such a horrible place.....

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Wow people, calm down. You're hitting up arguments about george bush, the military, and the ethics of charity, because charity is essentially what folding@home is. What it comes down to is people don't have to help if they don't want to, thats where the charity part comes in. Fact of the matter is theres a seemingly unlimited number of charities and you can't help out with all of them.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313

1) true - but none of us really know. Perhaps miracle cures exist 25 years down the road, and it's also possible that they might only be 5 years out with help from F@H - we just don't know.
2) true as well, but then again, that's their prerogative - not everyone runs 100% CPU. Asides, a good portion of power within most regions of the US has gotten away from fossil fuels, or have gone to much cleaner power production methods; contrary to what the EPA would have us believe . . .
3) yes and no - we have new and improved cures already available, but only for certain people in certain situations . .. but, many times they are considered experimental. Sadly, this is the case until the FDA approves the treatment for the population as a whole . . . and even more sad is the recent corruption behind the FDA that has been coming to light over the last couple of years (corruption in a government organization, who woulda thought?!!), and coupled with the rates drug companies slap on their medications, it puts many treatments far out of reach of the common man. Why I cited chemo treatments earlier - $1200 for just one chemo treatments is absurd . . . but if you want to live, you don't have much choice, y'know?

true as well, but the government also put a big crimp on stem cell research over the last 8 years . . . and not thanks to any concrete arguments; it had seemed all their arguments against it came from some underlying religious viewpoint. Again, the largest oligarchy in the world, hard at work.

What is the here and now? I have my family first and foremost. Gotta make sure they are clothed, fed and have a roof over their head. Then I have to pay all my bills (car, utility, internet, etc) just to make sure I can live my life happily thinking of the good things

again, it may seem that it's a joke - but does the possibility that medical advancements could come about from the project exist? yes. Do we know when? no. Could there already be advancements from this project? yes. Could their further advancement be held up by some organization like the FDA? entirelly possible.

but, really, what harm is done if you only run the clients in the background on your computer while you surf the internet, listen to music or watch movies? Would a 5%-10% leech on CPU usage really effect these activities? In many cases, not in the least. So, our rig would be wasting even more energy being at a near idle state, than if it were under very light load . . . just reading posts here on TPU with nothing going on in the background, your CPU is literally at idle, and when you combine in the mouse that's plugged in, the keyboard, the monitor that's turned on, etc - we're wasting energy just to read each other's posts online. Why not at least put some of that energy to some form of good use?

100% agreed here. Our government's administration, combined with the mass media has lead us to where we are today, and not enough people to think for themselves. People have become too content to take the media for gospel, and want to be spoon-fed their thoughts and ideals. The media is just selling fear, and people are buying it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I suggest everyone immediately go back on topic. No exceptions.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ehm...anyone heard of SETI@home? Making your PC search for Aliens and stuff? That's charity too, so our following generations find another planet to deplete resources from. :)

jonmcc33

System Name BLACK
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2GHz
Motherboard Abit IP35-E @ 1600FSB
Cooling Thermalright XP-90 w/92mm ADDA fan
Memory 4GB Hynix DDR2-667 @ 800MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon X1900XT
Storage (2) 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) Samsung 225BW
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows Vista Business x64 SP1

chinju

hi, I am Reshmy. It's most popular because the interface is VERY easy to use and lot more user friendly than others. It's also very similar to Windows which helps people with the transition.:laugh::toast::slap:

=========================================

Reshmy

www.orkut.com