1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New NVIDIA Specialized Pascal 1060-based Cryptocoin Mining GPUs Photographed

Discussion in 'News' started by R-T-B, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Caring1

Caring1

Thanks Received:
    The PCB's don't look much different, I suppose with the right soldering equipment and skills the display outputs could be transferred from a dead card to this, the finned heatsink makes sense in a rack set up with fans, but would need to be changed in a case.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. bug

Thanks Received:
    One 6 pin is all you need. That's what my card has and it can boost around 2GHz, no problem. Anything else is just added to make it look like the (gaming) card is equipped for some funky overclocking.

3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    You realize you are arguing in my favor, that ASIC's will invalidate this product and then what, you wait to mine the next possibly profitable crypto currency that it might be good at? Or do you sell it to...... all those first gen ASIC's I'm sure still have their value and are running strong.

10 Year Member at TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Yep.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Casecutter

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia has several things going for it: They can build a card and power section that hash's on efficiency. When they can show they unearth coins perhaps not a quickly but "each coin" they find are cheap(er) to mine... that can prevail. Lower cost of energy used, and if Nvidia can sell two of these for a little over what one "overprice 580" it's win! Miner can hunt around for one big 580 shovel, or get two of these for $350 and perhaps unearth 20% less, but on +30% less electricity cost. It's like this; two little guys with two small shovels that are able to be outfitted and working today, can move dirt near as fast all while feeding and paying them 30% less verses the one big guy!

GP106 is obviously cheap(er) to make and Nvidia probably has more of an opening to more production at TSCM than RTG at GloFo. Also, Nvidia has cash and teams that could be thrown at this project/production, and have such solutions in the market in weeks (as we are seeing). We know the constrains on AMD/RTG.

While lastly if Nvidia get stuck with product when it all goes bust, they can spend the marketing $'s without batting an eye to dump such card for other specialize tasks like; Folding CUDA/OpenCL number crunching etc for cheap... and just move then out for more than the $30 it cost to make.

And they get in on the action even if not a big money make they steer the conversation to shine on them and a solution while thumbing AMD/RTG as can't meet market demand.

6. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    The 1080 model is rumored at 60mh/s in Ethereum that doubles a 580 after bios mods. While consuming 180w vs 130w for the 580. There is no lesser performance on the NV side in this. There will be no reason to do Polaris if this all rings true

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. yotano211

Thanks Received:
    If that claim is real the memory timing had to really needed modded. The 1080 only does in the mid 30s. They claim the 1060 version will do around 25mh/s which is around the normal 1060 and they now claim this new 1080 can do 50% more. I feel hot air on Nvidia's part.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    I would be curious if it was no longer gddr5x and actually gddr5 with the extra Cuda cores. I could easily see that making a huge difference in performance. The 1070 can do 32 with next to zero effort. Tight timings on gddr5 and a 10 80's worth of cores could be 60mh/s I guess. I mean in games it doubles the 1060. 25+25 is 50 with faster ram or whatever tweaks I could see 60

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. ppn

Thanks Received:
    Why would nvidia produce such cards for sale, and not mine coin themselves. 60Mh is 1ETH per month. ~350$
    Why then not add 1 HDMI for future usability and resale value no less than 50%.
    Why not use MXM form factor at 100W and put them in water loop.

10. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    Because nvidia isn't going to start mining.

Because nvidia doesn't give a rats behind about resale value to you.

Because these are being purchased for low cost.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    Specialized cards for toy money? That's the most stupid product I've heard for a while.

12. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    Hundreds of billions of dollars in the cryptocurrency market. In what way is this a stupid product?

[​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    Which is why nVidia is doing this. They apparently have GPU's lying around to do this with.