• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new nvme drive not found in Win10

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard Asus Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4, Anidees Aureola Duo 140mm case fans
Memory GSkill Trident Z Royal
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE
Storage Samsung 970Evo Boot drive, WD Black 6TB
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z, Kanto Yu4 and Sub8
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G3
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
Hello, I recently purchased a new WD Blue SN550 to use for Steam, GOG and Epic games and other media. I have the drive installed in the 2nd m.2 slot on the board and it is not being detected in the bios or win10 disk management. I thought maybe the 2nd M.2 slot is disabled by default but I have looked through the bios for a setting or something and can't seem to find anything. I have my 1080ti in the top X16 slot and a Soundblaster Z in the 2nd PCIe 2.0 slot (see attached pic). I have looked through the mobo manual and the only thing I can find is that the M.2_2 socket shares PCIe clock with PCIe x1_1. When PCIe x1_1 or PCIe x1_3 is occupied, the M.2_2 socket can only support SATA mode. The soundblaster z card is in slot 1_2 so as far as I can tell it should work as slots 2.0x1_1 and 2.0x1_3 are empty. Any ideas? TIA

Screenshot_2020-06-05 E14093_ROG_STRIX_X470-F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB pdf.jpgScreenshot_2020-06-05 E14093_ROG_STRIX_X470-F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB pdf.png

zotric

Just a few routine things in case you have not tried them.
Obviously it is important to preserve your current working system!
1. With the new drive installed: Make a note of your current BIOS settings then reset the bios. Then put back your original settings. See if the new drive is now detected in Windows.
2. If that did not work, and you want to risk it, re-flash your BIOS if there is a later version. See if the new drive is now detected in Windows.
3. If that did not work you might try removing all drives apart from the new one and see if a Windows install (from media) detects the new drive. At least then you will know whether or not it is to do with your Windows installation.
Don't do this with your other drives in place!!
4. If the new drive is still not detected I would try removing every board except for the essentials and repeat the previous step. You could do this first, of course, but be sure to remove every other drive first.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The drive may be DOA. Remove your current Samsung from the 1st M.2 slot and put the SN550 in there, then boot into BIOS. If the SN550 is still not detected then it's probably time to RMA it.

Assuming the drive seems good, remove the Sound Blaster and check again in the BIOS. If the SN550 is now detected, you know that PCIEX1_2 is also involved in some sort of lane-sharing shenanigans that the manual doesn't talk about. You can then try putting the Sound Blaster in PCIEX16_3 instead and see if that frees up the lane allocation.

Your BIOS may allow you to disable onboard devices and/or switch some chipset lanes around, and these options generally aren't very well named or described. Worst comes to worst, you can try a clear CMOS and see if that helps. It's possibly a compatibility issue between your board and the SN550 (seems unlikely to me but you never know), so a BIOS update (if available) may do the trick.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The drive may be DOA. Remove your current Samsung from the 1st M.2 slot and put the SN550 in there, then boot into BIOS. If the SN550 is still not detected then it's probably time to RMA it.
This is the first thing I would do. 60 seconds of effort to instantly find out it's a motherboard issue or SSD issue.

zotric

Assuming the drive seems good, remove the Sound Blaster and check again in the BIOS. If the SN550 is now detected, you know that PCIEX1_2 is also involved in some sort of lane-sharing shenanigans that the manual doesn't talk about. You can then try putting the Sound Blaster in PCIEX16_3 instead and see if that frees up the lane allocation.

Your BIOS may allow you to disable onboard devices and/or switch some chipset lanes around, and these options generally aren't very well named or described. Worst comes to worst, you can try a clear CMOS and see if that helps. It's possibly a compatibility issue between your board and the SN550 (seems unlikely to me but you never know), so a BIOS update (if available) may do the trick.
A better approach than mine, I think.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Also remember that you will need to initialize the drive in Disk Mgmt before it will show up in your list of drives, but windows should have alerted you to that fact right away as soon as you installed it & booted up your machine....

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
As @bonehead123 said, Disk Management and/or try Diskpart in CMD (as admin of course) to see if the drive needs to be picked at.

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard Asus Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4, Anidees Aureola Duo 140mm case fans
Memory GSkill Trident Z Royal
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE
Storage Samsung 970Evo Boot drive, WD Black 6TB
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z, Kanto Yu4 and Sub8
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G3
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
Thanks for all the replies. I will try some of the suggestions later this evening. I'm wondering if the drive is DOA myself as it was an amazon return item.

edit - Well the drive appears to be dead. I tried it in the second m.2 slot on my laptop and nothing. Then I removed the drive from first m.2 slot and tried the sn550 and still nothing. I guess I'll rma it back to amazon. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
as it was an amazon return item.

I would venture to say that some butthead a-wipe did the ole switcharoo with a bad drive, ordered a new one, and sent their bad drive back to da 'Zon saying the new one was DOA..

Hopefully they will be stupid enough to continue to abuse the return privelage & get their account closed forever.... they are cracking down on this as of late....

Sorry you had to put up with this nonsense :(