1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New parts incoming!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by random, Oct 24, 2008.

1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I bought new parts today to upgrade my current system, I've spent over $2000 on this rig now and god knows why. I even bought something for the girlfriend so she doesn't criticize me on the money I spent on a computer, PLUS I need to be alive and uninjured when I try out these babies, I needs to distrax tha beast.

Corsair HX-620 620W Power Supply - $169 AUD
    HIS Hightech Radeon HD4850 IceQ 4 Turbo 512MB - $248 AUD
    BenQ E2200HD 22in Widescreen LCD Monitor (For the girlfriend) - $255 AUD

Will yet be giving another user review about the crossfire HIS 4850 512mb with accelero and the other with the IceQ 4 cooler.
    I'm not quite sure how much I'd be able to overclock with the new PSU I'm getting. three 12V rails (18A on each rail) seems enough for 3.6ghz clock on a q6600 and 2 OC'd 4850's I think...

I'm excited for the 4850 crossfire! for sure! despite games lacking crossfire support, the potential it has for the future is more than enough for me to be ok with it.

2. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Games lacking crossfire support? :confused: Can you name more than 2 games that lack crossfire support? I can't, from the 11 chosen games I have installed atm.

You will love the 4850 crossfire setup and the ICEQ4 cooler is amazing my cards idle @ 35c are only 10-15C hotter under load with 60% fan.

I can't believe how bad the prices are in Oz :( considering all these products are fabricated cloer to you guys then us in NA.

I know the HX-620 is modular but I would recommend something from the TX lineup since they all have a single +12v rail. How much is the TX650w in Oz?

random says thanks.
  3. random

random

Thanks Received:
    lol well maybe I've been reading outdated reviews of the card haha, anyways that all sounds good and exciting.

The TX620w is around 200 AUD, which goes slightly outta the budget I got, though it did seem so very very tempting to get lol, plus I wasn't so sure if the single rail design was better than the triple rail design or not, since im noob I always thought of it being more rails available the better. Other than that i've already placed the order >.<.

The price for technology here in AUS including retail games are too overpriced for me, I usually eBay my games from other countries. I'm not paying over 100 dollars for a single player game that'd last me only for a few days. Hence crysis and warhead, I bought them overseas for 20 bucks each (Thailand) and it was pretty much more worth waiting a couple more days to get the game than buying it upfront for 80+ for crysis and 50+ for warhead retail price here in AUS.

I'm quite curious to see how the ICE Q 4 cooler pits against my Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Module aftermarket cooler :D

4. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Yeah those prices are pathetic. If you use STEAM are the prices still that bad?

I've always preferred single rail PSUs cause there's no guessing when you have to install the cables and you can't overload one rail. For me it all came from the time I had a X1950, this series of card required a ridiculously high +12v amperage just to remain stable. Think +20A (not max but continuous amperage) for multi-rail units, or +30A for a single rail unit. The newer cards are designed to be somewhat less demanding for such high amperage but I still keep recommending single rail units as a fail safe.

random says thanks.
  5. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Steam prices are relatively the same in AUS, only differences is that it may be 10 - 20% cheapr but you don't get a CD.

I'm actually still not quite sure if an Ice Q4 factory clocked version of a 4850 is compatible with just a normal HIS 4850. Though im confident that it is.
    And I get what you mean when you recommend something, better saying safe than sorry to your expensive system :D.

6. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Any two ATI cards from the same series are 100% compatible.

random says thanks.
  7. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Everything just arrived and yeah the PSU is definitely enough to handle 2 OC'd 4850's and q6600 at 3.6ghz. It got rid of that annoying electrical sound coming from near the cpu too :D.

Very very happy, don't know why they said 4850 CF doesn't scale well. It scaled awesome in crysis and all my other games lol 35-40+ at very high in warhead from 20 - 25+ max.

Accelero s1 rev2 kicks Ice Q4 cooler's ass though haha, but they're both enough to keep games running at safe temps in max overclock.

All problems solved! No more need to buy tedious heatsinks, TIM pastes and fans! (Bought an Ultra Kaze 3000rpm attached it to my xigmatek s1284.) :)

If anyone has the same setup as me and needs help with stability, I'll be happy to help. Thank you everyone for your helpful opinions! TPU Rocks.