• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New parts on Thursday, need help on what mobo to buy

T

TechnicalFreak

Ok, so the CPU I first wanted - can't get it in any store (only webshop).
So the CPU is going to be a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, with 9Mb of cache instead of the 6Mb of cache (think it was the 1050??).

Now, the motherboard I had my eyes on - also out of stock at the store (wtf, am I cursed or something?! :confused: )
So theese are the ones I can afford, this including two 4Gb sticks:
ASRock - Socket AM3 - ATX nForce 720D
ASRock - Socket AM3 - ATX AMD 770
[Price difference is about 100SEK, say $10US or 10€, the later one is more expensive but supports Crossfire]
Next one is the MSI 770-C45 AM3, the difference is between the two other cards, say about $5 or 5€.
OR
If I am lucky, since there is only one left, I can get the MSI 880GM-E41. It's price is equal to the ASRock ATX AMD 770. Most of my friends say - this one is the one to get. Crossfire or not, it's not even likely that Premiere Pro or After Effects even supports SLI/Crossfire..
..and the card I currently own supports both Premiere Pro and After Effects perfectly (hardware support and use of PhysX/Cuda/whatever else there is).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Stay away from the 770 chipset. Never had any luck with the boards I've used using it and overclocking isn't very good. Plus, the 770 is nothing but a rebranded 6 series, 65nm and all. It runs hot. Definitely look at an 8 series if you can.

T

TechnicalFreak

Stay away from the 770 chipset. Never had any luck with the boards I've used using it and overclocking isn't very good. Plus, the 770 is nothing but a rebranded 6 series, 65nm and all. It runs hot. Definitely look at an 8 series if you can.

So the 880GM, is the right one to get?