• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Pc Build (Keeps on rebooting and no display)

Hello, my friend built a new rig and he has the problems as stated in the title. His pc doesnt boot to bios and keeps on rebooting with no display. He already reseated the ram. Tonight, i'll have him recheck the wire connectors. Besides that, any other suggestions? Oh yeah also, his mouse and keyboard lights up when plugged into the pc.
The rig is as stated:

Asrock b450m steel legend
Ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler
Kingston Hyperx Fury 8gb 3200mhz x 2
Zotac Rtx 2060 Twin Fan
Corsair Cx550m grey version
Silicon Power NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD 1tb

Unfortunately, budget builds are kinda limited on troubleshooting options.... No diagnostic display or LEDs that i saw, AsRock maauals I find tend to be a bit brief.... no troubleshooting section.

1. Check the manual, are RAM sticks in the correct slots ? (A2 and B2 ... 2nd and 4th left to right from CPU))
2. Is CPU Fan plugged in ?
3. Is the 24 pin Power **AND** 8 pin 12V power plugged in ?
4. GFX card 8 pin PCI-E power cable plugged in ?
5. Have you used the monitor menu / OSD to select proper input setting (HDMI / DP)
6, Is GFX card in PCIE2 slot below "AsRock" logo ? ... (seems hard to do otherwise)
7. Have you used the Jumper to reset CMOS (page 27)
8. Not a fan of CX series PSUs ...even the gray ones, but shouldn't be an issue here.
9. All MoBo screws in tight ? No extra standoffs used ?
10. Cooler fully secured ?
11. What is boot order set to ?
12. Is OS media in place to boot from ?

D

Deleted member 202104

Just a possibility - That type of behavior could be the power and/or reset cable connections reversed on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, budget builds are kinda limited on troubleshooting options.... No diagnostic display or LEDs that i saw, AsRock maauals I find tend to be a bit brief.... no troubleshooting section.

1. Check the manual, are RAM sticks in the correct slots ? (A2 and B2 ... 2nd and 4th left to right from CPU))
2. Is CPU Fan plugged in ?
3. Is the 24 pin Power **AND** 8 pin 12V power plugged in ?
4. GFX card 8 pin PCI-E power cable plugged in ?
5. Have you used the monitor menu / OSD to select proper input setting (HDMI / DP)
6, Is GFX card in PCIE2 slot below "AsRock" logo ? ... (seems hard to do otherwise)
7. Have you used the Jumper to reset CMOS (page 27)
8. Not a fan of CX series PSUs ...even the gray ones, but shouldn't be an issue here.
9. All MoBo screws in tight ? No extra standoffs used ?
10. Cooler fully secured ?
11. What is boot order set to ?
12. Is OS media in place to boot from ?
Just a possibility - That type of behavior could be the power and/or reset cable connections reversed on the motherboard.
Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I manage to fix it with my friend. I have no idea what happened but the steps i took was telling him to
1) Check cpu and motherboard power connectors.
2) Reinstall the gpu
3) Reseating the ram firmly this time (I believe this has to be the solution)
4) It's quite unlikely that is the answer but it may be. The hdd led front panel connector was connected in the wrong polarity so it was reversed back as well.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
just test turn it on without ram or NVMe

D

Deleted member 202104

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I manage to fix it with my friend. I have no idea what happened but the steps i took was telling him to
1) Check cpu and motherboard power connectors.
2) Reinstall the gpu
3) Reseating the ram firmly this time (I believe this has to be the solution)
4) It's quite unlikely that is the answer but it may be. The hdd led front panel connector was connected in the wrong polarity so it was reversed back as well.

Glad that it was sorted out! Nothing worse than putting everything together, hitting the power button, and, ..... nothing. :cry:

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
how i test a board, i simply don't connect any front panel connectors, i just short the power pins, i also use one stick of ram and no sata/nvme