• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PC Build LiveKernel141 and BSOD

Is that the same slot that the 3600 stick was failing in? I'm wondering if you just have a bad DIMM slot on the board
Each time I’ve used a single stick I’ve done it in the same slot (DDR4_A2) it’s worked fine except that one 3200Mhz. I’ve not had definite failures on any of the 3600Mhz RAM, just some bad memtest results so wanted to get a new, working, kit (hah!)

both 3600Mhz RAM sticks boot fine together and individually but (back to the original issue) I was getting crashes while gaming on them, which I thought may have been the GPU but at this point I’ve got no idea what’s wrong!

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard Asus Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4, Anidees Aureola Duo 140mm case fans
Memory GSkill Trident Z Royal
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE
Storage Samsung 970Evo Boot drive, WD Black 6TB
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z, Kanto Yu4 and Sub8
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G3
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
It is possible for bad ram settings to cause memtest errors.

It is possible for bad ram settings to cause memtest errors.
Okay, what I’ll try next is both 3600Mhz RAM in as I was before but make sure the XMP speeds are set as per the sticks as you’ve suggested to try previously and see what happens.

Thank you all for your help so far!

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
Okay, what I’ll try next is both 3600Mhz RAM in as I was before but make sure the XMP speeds are set as per the sticks as you’ve suggested to try previously and see what happens.

Thank you all for your help so far!
I would run memtest with the 3600 sticks at default settings - don't change voltage, frequency or timings. That way if there are errors you'll know it's not due to any settings.

Edit: But if that's clean, then manually input the settings based on what the sticker on the module shows and hopefully that'll be good

I would run memtest with the 3600 sticks at default settings - don't change voltage, frequency or timings. That way if there are errors you'll know it's not due to any settings.

Edit: But if that's clean, then manually input the settings based on what the sticker on the module shows and hopefully that'll be good
Okay, I’ll run it with XMP disabled and see what we get :)

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home

I also suggest downloading Thaiphoon burner and running to find out what type of chipsets are on the ram. Then you can download Ryzen dram calculator and run it to get some recommended timings.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
I also suggest downloading Thaiphoon burner and running to find out what type of chipsets are on the ram. Then you can download Ryzen dram calculator and run it to get some recommended timings.
Yep, this is a good step to take once we've confirmed the RAM isn't faulty.

Currently testing each 3600Mhz stick individually and will let you know the results once done

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard msi mag x570 tomahawk
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240V2 / asiahorse fs9002 120mm fans
Memory 2 x 16gb g.skill trident z neo 3600
Video Card(s) msi gaming X 2070 super 8gb
Storage 1tb sabrent rocket nvme / 1tb samsung evo 860 sata ssd / 3tb Toshiba hdd
Display(s) lg ultragear 2560x1440 144hz 1ms 27"ips
Case nzxt h510i
Audio Device(s) logitech g635 / creative sound blaster
Power Supply evga supernova 750ga 80 plus gold
Mouse logitech g402 hyperion fury
Keyboard corsair k55
The chances of you having a broken stick in both kits seems extremely small but i suppose it's a possibility...

don't go through and change a bunch of settings you are just creating more room for error and essentially trying to patch a more fundamental issue.

So you have two seperate kits ON THE QVL that both fail under default profiles, and you have verified that the dimm slots are working?

I don't want to jump the gun but what kind of return window do you have on the board? If you can get it into a legit professional who will diagnose it for cheap/free within that window then i would do it but for me personally i would just return the board if possible. The more i look into it right now it seems that the board is absolutely riddled with bios/memory issues even worse than i thought. It would suck if you kept trouble shooting and beating around the bush with no results and then miss your return frame in the process.

Sorry for being a negative nancy but that is where my head would be at in this situation if it was my money on the line. I wouldn't want to potentially leave myself in the hands/mercy of the gigabyte RMA process unless absolutely necessary. It would be different if you were trying kits that weren't supported or you were just trying to optimize but that is clearly not your case.

The chances of you having a broken stick in both kits seems extremely small but i suppose it's a possibility...

don't go through and change a bunch of settings you are just creating more room for error and essentially trying to patch a more fundamental issue.

So you have two seperate kits ON THE QVL that both fail under default profiles, and you have verified that the dimm slots are working?

I don't want to jump the gun but what kind of return window do you have on the board? If you can get it into a legit professional who will diagnose it for cheap/free within that window then i would do it but for me personally i would just return the board if possible. The more i look into it right now it seems that the board is absolutely riddled with bios/memory issues even worse than i thought. It would suck if you kept trouble shooting and beating around the bush with no results and then miss your return frame in the process.

Sorry for being a negative nancy but that is where my head would be at in this situation if it was my money on the line. I wouldn't want to potentially leave myself in the hands/mercy of the gigabyte RMA process unless absolutely necessary. It would be different if you were trying kits that weren't supported or you were just trying to optimize but that is clearly not your case.
My head is at the same point now, I have until 2nd august to return the Mobo so time for checking these last few things.

If we don’t get conclusive results from the next few steps then I’ll probably return the Mobo and get a different one that’s got a solid reputation. Any recommendations if we get to that point would be great!

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III

Was thinking similarly. Leave everything default so the sticks and motherboard are the only variables. I only saw the 3200 kit (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) on the QVL (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-elite_matisse_191231_v2.pdf), not the 3600 kit (CMK16GX4M2D3600C18). I'm also leaning towards just replacing the motherboard.

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
Any recommendations if we get to that point would be great!
This is the board I'm currently looking at as an upgrade from my x470 strix. The reviews I've read and watched on youtube say its a really good x570 board, especially at its price point.

I should also mention your 3200mhz kit is on the qvl and while the 16gb 3600mhz kit is not listed specifically the 64gb version is listed so I don't see why the 16gb kit wouldn't work.

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Storage 1tb sabrent rocket nvme / 1tb samsung evo 860 sata ssd / 3tb Toshiba hdd
Case nzxt h510i
Keyboard corsair k55
I am currently running the x570 tomahawk ^

I just got it setup yesterday. I'm running it with a 3700x and everything worked great right out of the box. The memory I'm using is not on the QVL but it still loaded it up first boot under xmp and has had zero issues so far even under heavy loads for extended periods. Temps are great on the cpu with the stock cooler ( i have a noctua heatsink/140 fan but I'm not using it just because i literally don't even need it. (the stock cooler looks better/takes up less space.

Board recommendations are kinda tricky but i can officially say i recommend that board because I'm using it right now :)

I am currently running the x570 tomahawk ^

I just got it setup yesterday. I'm running it with a 3700x and everything worked great right out of the box. The memory I'm using is not on the QVL but it still loaded it up first boot under xmp and has had zero issues so far even under heavy loads for extended periods. Temps are great on the cpu with the stock cooler ( i have a noctua heatsink/140 fan but I'm not using it just because i literally don't even need it. (the stock cooler looks better/takes up less space.

Board recommendations are kinda tricky but i can officially say i recommend that board because I'm using it right now :)
That’s the best kind of recommendation! If this memtest comes up fine then I’ll order that board and return my current one :)

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Case nzxt h510i
Keyboard corsair k55
Don't go and order just because a couple of people recommended it though, i know you are under time restraints but cram as much research and knowledge in as you can before making your purchase. An extra few days of troubleshooting and board research will only do you good. Be sure that whatever you go with has all the features you need/good thermals/ and overall positive customer and professional reviews. Like i said, it would be a bonus if it supports your memory that you already have

(my kit worked and it's not on the QVL but mileage can and most certainly will vary in that regard)

hopefully you discover a magic fix in the next few days but if all else fails it could be alot worse, nobody wants a broken new system but at least you are covered financially. Anyway, i have nothing else valuable to offer except good luck :rockout:

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Agree with @jayseearr. Do your research. However, going with the Tomahawk X570 isn't wrong by any means - it's been praised highly by reviewers. It's what I would be looking at buying if I needed an X570 board. If it meets your needs as far as features go, it's definitely a good choice.

A lack of knowledge and understanding got my into this mess so I’ll use it to get me out too :)

I’ve ran both 3600Mhz RAM sticks through Memtest, one passed with no errors, the second has 2 errors (test 4&5) so far on the second pass (still running). So that would to a ways to understanding my odd crashes I was seeing initially. I’ll let this last one run fully and see ifI get any more errors.

Seems I may be very unlucky with my RAM purchases! I’ll return both these sets, order my third (not Corsair this time as I’ve lost trust a bit!) and see if that manages to solve it. If it doesn’t I’ll research some more MOBOs and get a reputable one to replace my existing given what others online have been saying.

Don't go and order just because a couple of people recommended it though, i know you are under time restraints but cram as much research and knowledge in as you can before making your purchase. An extra few days of troubleshooting and board research will only do you good. Be sure that whatever you go with has all the features you need/good thermals/ and overall positive customer and professional reviews. Like i said, it would be a bonus if it supports your memory that you already have

(my kit worked and it's not on the QVL but mileage can and most certainly will vary in that regard)

hopefully you discover a magic fix in the next few days but if all else fails it could be alot worse, nobody wants a broken new system but at least you are covered financially. Anyway, i have nothing else valuable to offer except good luck :rockout:
Thanks for all your help! :)

Just to update you all:
I’ve RMAd the new 3200Mhz RAM and the old 3600Mhz RAM and ordered a new kit of the 3200Mhz as a replacement which will be coming on Monday.

If the new RAM kit on Monday works fine and memtests OK, then success!

Otherwise, I’ll be putting in an order for a new Motherboard to come next weekend once I’ve done some more research as I can’t believe 3 RAM kits in a row will be faulty!

I’ll post another update on Monday once I’ve tested the new kit :)

Thank you to everyone who’s given me advice so far! Especially @milewski1015 & @dw1975!

So far so good!

The new set of RAM came and was installed on Monday and so far I’ve had no stability issues or crashes while playing games that crashed before.

Touch wood it carries on like this until the weekend and I’ll call it solved!