• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PC Build LiveKernel141 and BSOD

Hi All,

Please help me, I built a new PC on Saturday last week (Brand new 4 day old PC) and everything is running fine most of the time, but occasionally CTDs when playing games. I can play fine for an hour or so, but after that (In both Planet Zoo and Mount & Blade: Bannerlord, Rose of the Tomb Raider so far) I'm getting crashes to desktop.

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock cooler)
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 (Bought July 2016)
RAM: Corasir Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3600 (XMP Enabled)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aurous Elite
Case Fans: 2x 14mm Noctua (front intake) 2x base Fractal Design Meshify C (rear/top Exhaust)
PSU: EVGA 650W Gold rated

Errors I'm seeing
I've checked Windows Problem Reports and can see that on some of the crashes (not all) I'm getting a Live Kernel 141 error. I have had this error twice in the last two days, both while playing Planet Zoo.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffa508009d2460
Parameter 2: fffff80369767650
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19041
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

I've also checked into the Windows Event Viewer at the time of the crash, and at the same time I can see a system event log of:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

And the error report I get when Mount & Blade Bannerlord crashes is below. This doesn't trigger a Live Kernel problem report.

I’ve also had a BSOD with the reason ntoskrnl.exe

Monitoring
I'm constantly monitoring using AMD Ryzen Master and MSI Afterburner to see if there are any weird spikes, and can't see anything out of the ordinary when the crashes occur. Here's a screenshot of my MSI Afterburner log file when the latest Live Kernel 141 error occurred (About 2/3 into the image is when the crash happened, I was playing Planet Zoo at the time):

What I've tried so far
1. Furmark GPU Stress Test, all checks passed no artefacts or performance issues. When running the test, neither CPU nor GPU go over 70C temps. Also performed a Unigine Heaven stress test with no issues.

2. Underclocking my GPU using MSI Afterburner, currently set at (Auto fan speeds):

What I’ve recently done today:
  1. Re-installed NVIDIA Drivers using DDU
  2. Editing the Nvidia Control Panel Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance"
  3. Turned OFF "Link State Power Management" in my "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan
  4. Removed my RAM and GPU, cleaned and reinserted them
  5. Disabled XMP in BIOS
after these steps, a BSOD occurred about an hour later...

I've not performed a fresh windows install as this was only done 4 days ago.

I’m currently running Memtest to see if my RAM is playing up, I’ve ran 1 pass so far and had an error on Test 7:

Expected 00080000 actual 00080010

I'm at a loss as of what to do next. Could my GPU just be faulty? It was fine in my old PC that I transferred it over from, although there's the possibility it was damaged in the move over.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I’m at breaking point now :(

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard Asus Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4, Anidees Aureola Duo 140mm case fans
Memory GSkill Trident Z Royal
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE
Storage Samsung 970Evo Boot drive, WD Black 6TB
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z, Kanto Yu4 and Sub8
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G3
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
Maybe try the card in another slot on the mobo?

Is it possible for you to test the gpu in another system?

Is it possible for you to test the gpu in another system?
Unfortunately not, I’ve upgraded from an old system but kept the same GPU as I only bought it a few years ago. It also uses DDR3 RAM so I don’t have spare RAM to test with either

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
What drive is your OS installed on? Were there any issues during the OS installation? Is your psu new or also from your old system? If it is modular you could try swapping the pcie cables from the psu.

What drive is your OS installed on? Were there any issues during the OS installation? Is your psu new or also from your old system? If it is modular you could try swapping the pcie cables from the psu.
The OS is on a 500GB SSD from my old system, reformatted for a completely fresh windows 10 install, Samsung Magician days it’s a completely healthy drive.

PSU is brand new, I’ll try swapping the cables out for the PCI-E tomorrow and see if that makes a difference!

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
I’m currently running Memtest to see if my RAM is playing up, I’ve ran 1 pass so far and had an error on Test 7:

Expected 00080000 actual 00080010
Make sure you have the newest bios installed and also make sure your memory voltage is at recommended setting or slightly above. Are you running Memtest with both sticks installed? As far as I know any error in Memtest is not good.

Make sure you have the newest bios installed and also make sure your memory voltage is at recommended setting or slightly above. Are you running Memtest with both sticks installed? As far as I know any error in Memtest is not good.
I have the latest BIOS installed and chipset for the AMD CPU. How do I check what voltage my memory is running at? (I’ve not changed anything from default in that regard)

Im running memtest with both 8GB sticks in as we speak, and it thrown errors on pass 1 and 3 on Test 7 for CPU 4&2 (screenshot attached)

Do the CPU numbers tell me which stick it is that’s erroring?

Attachments

• 46BEBE7E-D7EF-4C17-B9F8-56BB422E5038.jpeg
    46BEBE7E-D7EF-4C17-B9F8-56BB422E5038.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 352
System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
How do I check what voltage my memory is running at?
Memory voltage should be somewhere in the BIOS. It should be 1.35v to 1.36v

Do the CPU numbers tell me which stick it is that’s erroring?
No I don't think so. Let your current test finish up then post the results. You may want to start a message in the corsair help forums or email corsair tech support. They should be able to help you with bios settings and your memtest results and also if you need to rma the ram.

Memory voltage should be somewhere in the BIOS. It should be 1.35v to 1.36v

No I don't think so. Let your current test finish up then post the results. You may want to start a message in the corsair help forums or email corsair tech support. They should be able to help you with bios settings and your memtest results and also if you need to rma the ram.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll get in contact with them in the morning once the memtest results have come through :)

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
I had memtest errors with my corsair vengeance kit last year. One stick was fine, the other faulty. They replaced the whole kit free of charge. If you can't deal with system downtime, they have an advanced RMA process where they send you a replacement in advance and put a pending charge on your credit card for the amount of the replacement. Then you can swap in the replacement, send away your faulty kit, and once they receive it, the pending charge will be removed. You'll likely have to ask for that specifically though.

I had memtest errors with my corsair vengeance kit last year. One stick was fine, the other faulty. They replaced the whole kit free of charge. If you can't deal with system downtime, they have an advanced RMA process where they send you a replacement in advance and put a pending charge on your credit card for the amount of the replacement. Then you can swap in the replacement, send away your faulty kit, and once they receive it, the pending charge will be removed. You'll likely have to ask for that specifically though.
That sound like a route I’d like to go down - I’ll speak with Corsair support today and see what they can do for me :)

That sound like a route I’d like to go down - I’ll speak with Corsair support today and see what they can do for me :)
Thank you all for your advice so far, I’ve taken some more steps today based on your replies:

The final result of the memtest was 2 failures on test 7 across 4 passes, so based on that I’ve got replacement RAM coming tomorrow, Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200Hz (saved a few pennies), and I’ve just installed my new CPU cooler and triple checked the installation of the GPU and RAM. I also swapped out my PCIE power cables as suggested.

This all reset my BIOS, and while configuring it again I noted the RAM voltage was 1.2v by default (Auto), the XMP profile I enabled mentioned 1.35v so I manually changed the RAM voltage to 1.35v in the BIOS just in case the XMP doesn’t change that automatically.

Going to play some games now, so wish me luck!!

Last edited:
Well I’m at breaking point again.

I went down to one stick of RAM yesterday after testing them both to make sure it was a RAM issue before my new RAM arrived today. It was stable last night but I didn’t do anything intensive.

My new RAM (same type, but went down to 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance) has just arrived, I turn my pc off and installed the new RAM.

Now I get a BSOD every time I boot, can’t get to windows. I get the error:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
or
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The few times I’ve been able to get into Windows, it enters a reboot loop.

I’ve disabled XMP, checked the voltage (running at 2133Mhz at 1.224v, XMP would be 1.35v) and reset the BIOS to defaults but no luck.

Solutions online involve running tests through windows but I can’t get into windows, I hate to ask again but can anyone help me?

Update:

I've put my old single stick (3600Mhz, XMP Enabled) back in that was functioning and I'm able to stay in windows and launch fine. Here's a screenshot of the Blue Screen Viewer for the BSOD I've just experienced:

Does this mean that the new RAM I've just bought to replace some faulty old RAM is also faulty?

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
First I would shut it down, unplug the psu and remove the mobo battery, then hold down the power button for 15-30 seconds to drain any residual power and then leave it unplugged for 10 minutes. Then put everything back in and boot to the bios, load optimized defaults. Try enabling XMP and verify you have the recommended voltage settings and timings for your ram kit, if everything checks out try to boot to the OS.

Yep, once you have finished up to step 3, I suggest you install the new ram kit again. Leave it unplugged and the mobo battery removed for 10 minutes then plug everything back in and boot to the bios. Load optimized defaults, save and restart and then boot to the bios again. Verify that the ram voltage and timings are set properly to manufacturer recommended settings. If everything checks out, try booting into the OS.

Last edited:
First I would shut it down, unplug the psu and remove the mobo battery, then hold down the power button for 15-30 seconds to drain any residual power and then leave it unplugged for 10 minutes. Then put everything back in and boot to the bios, load optimized defaults. Try enabling XMP and verify you have the recommended voltage settings and timings for your ram kit, if everything checks out try to boot to the OS.

So just to clarify:

1. Unplug the PSU power cable
2. Remove the CMOS battery for the mobo
3. Hold down the power button for 15-30 seconds, while the PSU is still unplugged
4. Plug the PSU & battery back in
5. Power on, load defaults & boot to windows

Should I try the boot with my new RAM that is failing once I've done the steps you've suggested?

Update:

I’ve tried the steps listed above and unfortunately it’s made no difference to the boot, I either get BSOD or a boot loop.

I also manually set my XMP voltage to 1.36V as this is specified on the RAM sticks themselves, and I checked the XMP speeds against those online (16, 18, 18, 18) - it all looks fine in BIOS but unfortunately made no difference in boot :(

what would be my next steps?

As a side note, I appreciate your help immensely, and will owe you all when this is resolved!

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
Should I try the boot with my new RAM that is failing once I've done the steps you've suggested?
Yep, check out the second part of my previous message. I tried posting that as a separate message so I'm not sure how or why it ended up as an edit.

Yep, check out the second part of my previous message. I tried posting that as a separate message so I'm not sure how or why it ended up as an edit.
Mine had also come back as an update to my reply, here it is again for ease:

Update:

I’ve tried the steps listed above and unfortunately it’s made no difference to the boot, I either get BSOD or a boot loop.

I also manually set my XMP voltage to 1.36V as this is specified on the RAM sticks themselves, and I checked the XMP speeds against those online (16, 18, 18, 18) - it all looks fine in BIOS but unfortunately made no difference in boot :(

what would be my next steps?

As a side note, I appreciate your help immensely, and will owe you all when this is resolved!

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
can you post a link to your ram kit or post the kit part number please

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
With the old RAM in (so you can boot into windows), I would hop into safe mode, start command prompt as administrator and run sfc /scannow and chkdsk C: /f to make sure it's not your windows install or errors on your drive.

With the old RAM in (so you can boot into windows), I would hop into safe mode, start command prompt as administrator and run sfc /scannow and chkdsk C: /f to make sure it's not your windows install or errors on your drive.
I’ll do this right now, thank you

I’ll do this right now, thank you
I’ve ran the above, the first (scannow) came back with the below error:

CF651BAF-ABDF-44EA-97D0-0BF65EC1DA5F.jpeg

(Excuse the horrible photo, took it with my phone)

Would a fresh windows install be the next step?

The chkdsk didn’t flag any issues

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Would a fresh windows install be the next step?
You could take a peek at the logs and try and manually replace the corrupt file(s) with a known good copy, but a fresh windows install is probably a more straightforward solution.

You could take a peek at the logs and try and manually replace the corrupt file(s) with a known good copy, but a fresh windows install is probably a more straightforward solution.

Thanks, I’ll go for a fresh install I think.

Should I perform the fresh install using my old, functioning RAM, or the new 3200 sticks ?

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Should I perform the fresh install using my old, functioning RAM, or the new 3200 sticks ?
I don't think it would matter, but try with the new sticks first

System Name Ryzen 3700X
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Display(s) Nixeus 27"
Mouse G502
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Win10 Home
I
Is my RAM actually compatible with my Mobo? It’s not listed in the QVL but there are people online saying it’s fine to use?
I was trying to check that also but gigabyte website was flaky and not loading. Both kits are not in the QVL list?