• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PC build - PSU has died 2x in 2 weeks

adokitkat

Hello,

I have built a new PC for my relative 3 weeks ago. I really hope I din't do anything wrong, because I build a few computers already & and nothing similar happened to me.
After I was done building (and yes, I have tried to follow all instructions from manufacturers), I did install all of the software such as Windows OS, MS Office, drivers, etc.
I also did dome light benchmarks and system seemed to work great & was stable.

My relative got his new PC for 4 days but something has happened - the PC wouldn't even turn on.
So I went to look at it and it was dead PSU. Most of the time I pressed the power up button nothing happened, after unplugging and plugging back in it would just turn on for
a split second - fans and RGB turned on but then instantly turned off and stayed off again. I also tried the PSU directly with included pin tester and 3 days ago everything worked, now it was not turning on.
So we replaced the PSU with new one (exactly same brand and line) and everything looked ok, PC works again, I thought it was just a bad unit.

However, 9 days later, the replaced PSU is dead again.
I am wondering, if could there be something killing off PSUs in the build? Or is it just coincidence?

(I don't know if this is important, but the relative insists on having plugged all of his PC stuff - PC, 2 monitors, printer, etc. - via 1 extension cord. Also I think his house doesn't have the newest wiring - it's kind of a hut.)

Full PC build:
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 750 W Titanium (1 dead & replaced, still 1 dead)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series 64GB KIT DDR4 3600 MHz CL18
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G
NVMe SSD: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB + some of his SATA HDD
Case
: Fractal Design Focus G Black

Thanks for response.

EDIT:
I just read it could be some protection kicking in and PSU maybe then isn't really dead. After a few minutes unplugged it maybe would start to work again. But right now I have no access to PSU and cannot test if that's the case unfortunately.

EDIT 2:
This time (at least) the PSU isn't actually dead, unplugging it for a period of time actually helped. So the over-current protection of PSU kicked in I assume. We also bought extension cord with over-current protection. I hope it helps... If not see you in a week rip.

Last edited:
System Name ASUS ROG STRIX G15
Processor i7-10750H @ 5 GHZ
Motherboard ASUS
Cooling 2 Fans and 7 Heat pipes
Memory 16GB 3200 MHZ Dual channel
Video Card(s) RTX 2060 Mobile
Storage 512 GB Intel 660p SDD
Display(s) 15" 144 HZ 1080p
Power Supply 230 watt charger
Mouse Standard With RGB
Keyboard Standard With RGB
Software Hwinfo
Benchmark Scores Too much for you to handle
do u use a anti-static stuff?
Have you tried to replug all cables?

adokitkat

do u use a anti-static stuff?

Have you tried to replug all cables?

I didn't use antistatic but I build it in safe environment... But as I said it worked well for a few days, I don't think this could be the reason.

And yes, I have tried to do that when it happened the first time - I also tried turning on PSU with included tester but it wouldn't turn on anymore.

Right now I am on a way to check the PC now, to see if it really was the PSU death again.

I was told it can be motherboard that kills the PSU, so maybe I will get a new one...

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Only thing I can think of is a grounding issue.

Or maybe the motherboard or GPU is triggering the protection for some reason.

adokitkat

Only thing I can think of is a grounding issue.

Or maybe the motherboard or GPU is triggering the protection for some reason.
Do you think any of that could kill the PSU (2 times) ?

Maybe the PSU isn't actually dead, but the protection has kicked in? (It doesn't really smell like it's fried or anything...) How much time do I have to have it unplugged and wait for protection to turn off, if that was the case?

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
No more than a few minutes.

System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
I did have one experience where I had the CPU heatsink accidentally shorting the 12V power In to the GPU.
What happened was turning on the PC caused some buzz in the PSU and it stopped after a bit.
While in your case it did turn on and lasted a couple days, there is still a small chance something moved slightly and got the PC shorted, I suggest you inspect the connections and looks for anything suspicious. Sometimes it can be the motherboard having a screw sitting on it, or it maybe touching the chassis due to a flex of the chassis.

Otherwise, try to move the PC to another main socket (may need to be far away sufficiently it is not the same ring circuit) and see if the same happens.
Might also be a good idea to buy a surge protector if you haven't already.

adokitkat

I did have one experience where I had the CPU heatsink accidentally shorting the 12V power In to the GPU.
What happened was turning on the PC caused some buzz in the PSU and it stopped after a bit.
While in your case it did turn on and lasted a couple days, there is still a small chance something moved slightly and got the PC shorted, I suggest you inspect the connections and looks for anything suspicious. Sometimes it can be the motherboard having a screw sitting on it, or it maybe touching the chassis due to a flex of the chassis.

Otherwise, try to move the PC to another main socket (may need to be far away sufficiently it is not the same ring circuit) and see if the same happens.
Might also be a good idea to buy a surge protector if you haven't already.

Is it possible for a bad grounding to not kill the previous PC but to kill this PSU twice?

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Strip it down and build it outside the case, see if it starts with the bare minimum, make sure you haven't got an extra standoff in the case as that could cause a shorting issue.

System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
Is it possible for a bad grounding to not kill the previous PC but to kill this PSU twice?
I cannot tell and I was not aware of bad grounding killing a PC myself, but it is not impossible.
I am no expert, though, it seems there are some simple testing tools you could use to see if the socket works at least as expected, e.g.
Klein Tools RT210 Outlet Tester, Receptacle Tester for GFCI / Standard North American AC Electrical Outlets, Detects Common Wiring Problems - - Amazon.com

Other possibility can be some inductive appliance like those with motors (washer, AC) being present in the same circuit, my understanding is that they could create surge when things spin up/down.
Typically they be avoided to go within the same loop as sensitive electronics like PCs. But reading from your post, it looks like there was a previous PC working at that same socket, so it suggested that the problem is within the PC itself.

PS: I did also have a Seasonic X-560 broken after maybe a month of service, 9 years ago. But after an exchange the replacement actually works till now.
Just want to add that the chance the PSU being bad is nonzero. Though, I wouldn't expect a second one dying within a short period like that.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Do you happen to use different PCIe cables than the ones that come with the PSU ?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Static could kill a PSU if it had a high enough potential and came across an output. But that is very unlikely. PSUs are pretty rugged. I think bad luck is more likely the cause.

And if mishandling and or ESD during assembly was the problem, the problem would have surfaced at first power up. So I think you need to check and verify your wall outlets. Use a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

System Name No name, yet..
Processor AMD 1800X at stock settings.
Motherboard AsRock X370 itx/ac, /diy vrm heatsink.
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 240LT.
Memory 2 x 8gb G.Skill Flare 3200/CL14.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2060 oc rev2.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB m.2, Crucial MX500 2TB sata.
Display(s) HP ZR24W.
Case DIY ITX.
Power Supply Be Quiet 500W sfx-l
Software Win10 home, Ubuntu linux.
Static could kill a PSU if it had a high enough potential and came across an output. But that is very unlikely. PSUs are pretty rugged. I think bad luck is more likely the cause.

And if mishandling and or ESD during assembly was the problem, the problem would have surfaced at first power up. So I think you need to check and verify your wall outlets. Use a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

My toughts exactly. If the build is clean and no shorts to be found, i also would check wall outlets.

Reactions: Rei

adokitkat

Okay so update: this time the PSU isn't actually dead, unplugging it for a period of time actually helped. We also bought extension cord with over-current protection. I hope it helps...

If not, I will buy the AC outlet tester, thanks for a recommendation.

Do you happen to use different PCIe cables than the ones that come with the PSU ?

We are using only the ones that came with PSU.

Reactions: Rei
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
There might be a loose screw somewhere it shouldn't be.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I would have sworn I answered to here yesterday, maybe I forgot to hit enter, or there is a very similar post elsewhere.
Dirty power from the wall socket can cause a PSU to kick in with it's safety measures to prevent damage.
Use a UPS to prevent this, a surge protected extension cord is not enough.

I've had an overclocked CPU kill a motherboard. But I never managed to kill a PSU. About 10 years ago, I had a new Corsair PSU die on me in a few weeks, but the replacement has been going strong for these past 10 years. The odds of you getting two defective units in a row is remote.

What part of the world are you in? Maybe Seasonic support in your country is sending out faulty replacement units. If it's not that, I'd look into your other hardware. Dirty power would have to be very dirty. modern PSUs can run between 120 and 230 or so volts, so you would might be really dropping under 120 volts or there are some bad power spikes in your area. However, if none of your other electronics get damaged or act funny, it might not be that.

adokitkat

What part of the world are you in?

I live in Central/Eastern Europe.

We bought a surge protector for now. I will also buy an AC outlet tester to find out if the outlet is ok. If it won't find anything bad, then I assume it has to bad motherboard or another component, right?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If it won't find anything bad, then I assume it has to bad motherboard or another component, right?
No. You cannot assume that. Like I said above, you might have just been unlucky and got two flakey PSUs. Assuming you have decent cooling, I doubt it is the motherboard. You do need to verify your outlet wiring. If okay, then just taking a wait and see approach may be your best bet.
I would have sworn I answered to here yesterday, maybe I forgot to hit enter
I hate it when I do that. Typically, if the case, it would have save a draft.