1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PC dreams / switching sides from Intel to AMD.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by zbam, Aug 13, 2017 at 2:10 PM.

1. zbam

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone, currently I have a PC with specs below:
    - 600 watt shitty zalman power supply
    - msi z170a gaming pro
    - core i5 6500
    - 8gb single kit kingston 2666 hyperx memory
    -gigabyte g1 gaming gtx 980
    -zalman z1 neo case

So I bought this PC around 2016 May. It still is a decent PC I know, but when it comes to streaming on twitch, well let alone the x264 encoder, even with quicksync or NVENC encoders, it affects my FPS during the games. And back in 2016 I had hopes to upgrade my intel CPU and overclock further in future with kaby lake later coffee lake(we all know how that turned out).
    Then AMD came out of nowhere and busted the market, and since they said they will be supporting their AM4 socket until 2020, now I am in love with R7 1700 processor which will be way enough for both streaming and gaming at the same time.

So here is my dream PC now [​IMG]
    -AMD RYZEN 7 1700 ( I am planning to overclock it to 4.0ghz, if wont work, at least 3.9)
    -GIGABYTE AORUS AX370-GAMING K7
    -Be quiet! PURE BASE 600
    -G.SKILL 16GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL14 Flare X for AMD (RAM prices are freaking high)
    -CoolerMaster Vanquard Gold Series 1000W
    -Corsair H110i Extreme (maybe NZXT kraken x61)
    -Samsung SSD 850 EVO - 500GB, Basic

I am definitely not thinking a new graphics card since I'm using 1080p monitor for games. G1 Gaming gtx 980 is a god damn good card with a huge overclock potential (if not compared to pascal overclock [​IMG] ). In worst case I can just put another second hand gtx 980 for sli for 150 usd or so.

Coffee lake is about to happen I know but still I dont think intel will be able to overcome their hunger for cash and offer us some reasonable prices as well as AMD, let s say i7 8700k will be around 330$ but I still think that it wont beat the r7 1700, at least it will match up and since I realized how intel is trying to manipulate the market one handed and milk us all, I decided to support AMD so at least there can be a competitive rival for intel(yea right buying one cpu from amd will do that [​IMG] but maybe some others will think the same as me).

I have lack of knowledge about AMD motherboards, as well as their CPUs although I still continue to watch and read about the technology behind AMD CPUs and performance reviews. I have never used watercooling systems. I believe Be quiet pure base 600 is a beautiful case on its price range.About the power supply I deliberately chose high powered power supply so it is possible to upgrade the graphics card or have SLI in the system or some other sh.t that can require more power in future.

I am open to any kind of suggestions about the parts, when to buy, market analysis [​IMG] , wait or not wait for another gen of processors(either intel or amd).
    Oh and when I bought my 1 year old PC last year, I was not employed, now I am so I have bit more money to spend. I am planning to make this build happen in a month or two.

Thanks in advance anyone who comments&shares ideas! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:41 PM
  2. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    Don't expect to reach anything stable over 3.8GHz, this is what most people reach with the 1700. Anything more is up to pure luck.

Otherwise you seem to have picked decent hardware.

EarthDog says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. zbam

Thanks Received:
    well, I hope I will get lucky then :)

4. Vayra86

Vayra86

Thanks Received:
    I hate to shatter dreams but this feels like an awfully expensive sidegrade rather than an upgrade. Yes you get the threads for your stream... but seeing how long your previous build lasted, that is one serious waste of capital. Your single thread might actually be a tad slower than your current system and your multi is solely for a stream... In the meantime you're on 1080p which puts the emphasis on CPU single thread performance more than anything else.

If you were to drop an i7-K on that board you have now and clock it to 4.5, I'd be surprised if you see less performance even while streaming. But you do save what, 2/3rds of the money you're tossing at it now. And you'll probably win about 20% performance on single thread like that while still getting 4c/8t.

For reference, I also considered Ryzen with an Ivy Bridge (much lower IPC than Skylake) i5 at 4.4 / 4.2 Ghz right now and I just don't see the performance boost for gaming at all, so I'm holding off for a bit.

Food for thought obviously; but hell, sometimes its just fun to build something, so don't let me stop you ;)

About the component list:
    - avoid CM for your PSU, get an EVGA, Seasonic, high end Corsair instead
    - The benefit of an AIO is questionable on Ryzen.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:57 PM
    Recca29, qubit, FYFI13 and 1 other person say thanks.
  5. zbam

Thanks Received:
    No shatter happening it's okay :D
    As I stated in the post my current build was under strict budget limitation because of not being employed so I could not get some sort of a beast I wished, and now this is some sort of a way of giving myself a gift from my own earnings :)
    I believe you are right about the dropping i7 K to this board.
    Well, my purpose of posting this thread is to get different point of views, so I appreciate the comment :)

so CM is not a high end PSU, noted. About the AOI, all the videos I watched reviews I read, AOIs are the most preferred ones for Ryzen, why would you say that ?

Vayra86 says thanks.
  6. Vayra86

Vayra86

Thanks Received:
    Another good thing to consider when building rigs is future planning / upgrade path. We know for a fact that the real jumps in CPU performance are behind us and AMD and Intel offer solid platforms now that are quite on par, while Ryzen has a definite ceiling in terms of clocks right now. If you really want to go big, I'd say HEDT is where its at. This consideration might also play into getting the i7 now for a lot less and save the cash to go HEDT when it really is worthwhile (Threadripper 2?). Now thát is beasty :)

Oh yes another thing, 500GB storage? You'll eat through that in no-time. I have similar SSD capacity and am constantly trying to make free space to install games.

7. Totally

Thanks Received:
    Also temps ramp up quickly as you overclock, mine for example sits at 28c stock but after taking it to 4GHz temps shoot up to 45-46c

8. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    Save your money and just get a 7700k to drop in there.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    I know of a lot of people with 1700s that hit 4Ghz. I would dare say it's not really that rare.

Pretty sure 7700K and 1700 can be had for more or less the same amount money.

10. Vayra86

Vayra86

Thanks Received:
    With the minor exception of requiring new RAM kits, new board... ie twice as pricy

11. Norton

Norton Moderator & WCG-TPU Captain Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    FYI- that CM V1000 the OP quoted is a Seasonic inside (KM3 like the Seasonic X-Gold series) - that should be fine for any build

peche, AsRock, Ahhzz and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    OP wants to build a new rig if I am not mistaken in which case both platforms would cost the same.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 3:40 PM
    EarthDog says thanks.
  13. zbam

Thanks Received:
    500gb storage is just SSD, I have a 750gb HDD I will also put into the new system.

I really have no clue about power supply market, so thank you :)

OP wants to build a new rig, exactly. But saving money and getting 7700k also sounds logical, although as I mentioned, I really would like to have the beast I imagine bought with my own money.

Vya Domus says thanks.
  14. zbam

Thanks Received:
    What do you think about coffee lake ? I was really hopeful for just getting an i7 8700k to my build and a AIO cooler and be done with it, but it will require a new mobo.

15. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Idle temps aren't relevant... ;)

16. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    true, but the 7700 is pathetic at endoding and streaming, which is what OP says he will be doing mostly.
    HE is better off with the ryzen 1700 as it will last him a few years easily.

I still have a 8320 clocked to 4.2GHz which i got in 2013, still dont feel the need to upgrade it yet. 8 threads in 2013 seemed stupid, but it payed off for me.
    more threads IS better.

theoneandonlymrk and Vya Domus say thanks.
  17. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to have to 2nd this. If gaming is your #1 all focus, pickup an i7-7700k and clock the piss out of it, my boy picked up one this weekend and hit 4.8ghz like it was nothing. Ryzen is within arms reach performance wise, but Intel is still the absolute best money can buy for a gaming system. Also, consider moving to a fast 16gb (2 x 8GB) ram kit. If your really running your current system with single channel ram, that would be a bottleneck in your current performance.

18. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Gaming and live streaming isn't suitable for 4C/8T CPU's like i7 6700K and i7 7700K. Ryzen 7 1700 is a lot better option, but I would aim for the 1700X instead.

Another question goes for a few other components. Why such an expensive motherboard and why the heck a 1000W PSU? I would rather sell GTX 980 and buy GTX 1070 or 1080 along with good 650W PSU.
    Corsair H110i Extreme or Kraken X61 for Ryzen 7 1700/1700X? There are a better and cheaper solutions. I recommend 240 mm AIO or a good air cooler. Specifically, Deepcool Captain 240 EX, Arctic Liquid Freezer 240, Corsair H100i Extreme considering AIO water coolers and Cryorig H5 Universal/Ultimate, Noctua NH-14S, Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 considering air coolers.

Vario and zbam say thanks.
  19. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    @zbam Sounds like what you really want is the best framerate performance for your games. Unfortunately, this isn't the way to achieve it.

I say wait until Coffee Lake is out and get an 8700K which will storm through all your games - it won't even be all that expensive at about the same as the 7700K is now. Even more important is to upgrade that graphics card to at least a 1080 if not a 1080 Ti. Doing both will really help to push up those framerates. Remember, it's not the max framerate that counts, but the lowest as that's where you'll see the stutter. And 1080p can still tax a system, especially the more demanding games, so don't skimp on that graphics card.

It's unfortunate that Ryzen is a great CPU for everything but gaming, where it falls behind Intel and that's the one thing that matters here. As @Vayra86 said, what you wanna build looks more like a sidegrade just to go AMD, so totally not worth it.

Finally, upgrade that PSU to something decent like a Seasonic etc. You don't need it crapping out on you.

zbam says thanks.
  20. zbam

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt say 7700k pathetic but still it is behind ryzen as far as I see.

to be more clear, gaming oriented content creation is my main focus. I was already planning to upgrade my memory to 16gb later when I first had my current build back then.

Why would you aim for 1700x instead ? Same chip, you just need to be lucky when it comes to the silicon lottery.
    And thank you so much about the cooler options I will take look at all of them one by one. So just to be clear you see h110i extreme and kraken x61 are not that good options due to their price points ?
    About the motherboard, I want it to be so called futureproof :) and no trouble for overclocking potentials.

What I want is not the highest frame rate possible, I am sorry if I could not explain myself clearly. My main focus is gaming oriented content creation. And I am satisfied with my gtx 980 for now :) But when I will have more money to throw at PC build I will definitely consider the 1080TI or whatever comes out to market at that time. I believe the PSU I chose for the new rig is decent dont you think ? I may go for the 850W version as well.

21. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Ok, that does change the picture somewhat, but then you're relying on better performance on highly threaded apps, which isn't a sure thing. Can't really help you there without seeing specific benchmarks for the apps that you want to use comparing the 1700 with the competition. If you can find some, then you can make an informed choice. I suspect that the 8700K is still gonna be very competitive with it and the 1800X, even with content creation. It comes out soon, so don't buy anything until the reviews come out - and try to find benchmarks for your apps or similar.

That Be Quiet PSU should be good, but I don't know anything about it off the top of my head. I know that you can't go wrong with any Seasonic, though. As always, check the reviews. Agree with buying more power than you strictly need as it gives you headroom for upgrading and the PSU will be less stressed leading to better long term reliability.

zbam says thanks.
  22. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just throw a 6700k in that motherboard (or 7700k with Bios update, although some real good skylake deals around atm) and add another 8GB of ram. Obviously if you have the cash to splash then a full upgrade is far more exciting!

Vario and zbam say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. zbam

Thanks Received:
    I will be using OBS for streaming and Sony Vegas for video editing, leaked benchmarks of 8700k shows that about the content creation intel is still behind AMD Ryzen 7 series but I dont know how much reliable leaked benchmarks are. And I have no hurry this is a plan for maybe longer than 2 months so yes I can wait. By the way the case is Be Quiet, power supply is CoolerMaster Vanguard 1000W Gold Series, it is exactly how it is written in the tech shop website. And @Norton said it is actually seasonic inside, then again I have no knowledge about it :)

I was actually looking for some second hand still under warranty 7700k CPUs and the lowest I could find with more than 2 years of warranty is about 290 USD in Czech Republic. So you think it is a better choice ? But as you said full upgrade is far more exciting especially after all those years of being student and broke :D

Norton and qubit say thanks.
  24. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    Once again, if you already got high idle temps your load temps will be surely high as well....:)

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. Norton

Norton Moderator & WCG-TPU Captain Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Correct, that psu is Seasonic inside. I understand @qubit 's concern since some of Cooler Master psu's are not built that well, not the case with the one you are looking at imho

Here are a couple of reviews for it
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/V1000/

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=344

zbam, qubit and EarthDog say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU