1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PC DRM!

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    Nicely written newtekie1. I bought my copy of MA2 today as a matter of fact. Less hassles and more support from publishers this way...

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not the I have any real problems with DRM methods, it's THIS method.

I have a satellite connection. If it's completely overcast and raining, no SP gaming for me?!?
    I paid them for a license to use the game.
    That's what I have a problem with.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    well if you get connected and lose it, it says it will retry but if it fails you can still play. Yes its unfortunate that those of us who buy the games have a bit of misfortune. But look at it from the developer's side, they want to do what they can to stop people from using software that they spent millions of dollars to build for free.

Now DRM that limits you on installs and such is annoying.

Newtekie1 is right too. Most gamers do have an internet connection, some of you with satellite and dial up, it is certainly harder to get a game with this software running, if thats the case just download the crack that bypasses this :p

4. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    Isn't that the same as pirating?? :slap:

5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    steam can play games offline (@earlier post)

also Ubisoft makes nothing I want to play. This DRM won't work. No DRM will work because, undoubtedly, someone will write a crack for it... which I would pay for.

@ hybrid_theory - DRM that limits installs is exactly why i will be stealing crysis 2, rather than paying for it like crysis warhead.

6. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    No cause you still purchased it. But like if say you have satellite or wireless internet and its raining. Cant connect to Uplay, then hey use the crack so you can play your game that you purchased legitimately.

I use no cd cracks all the time. As i hate swapping discs.

7. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    My apologies Hybrid, I get what you mean. Makes sense too :eek:

8. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you Hybrid, it would piss me off royally to spend hundreds of hours developing retail software to feed my family, only to have some asshat steal it.

But using that software in an offline mode (e.g. Single Player) should have nothing to do with whether I am connected to the internet.

Let's extrapolate here a little. Microsoft goes with this DRM. A company's internet connection gets clipped by a lightning storm. No Windows for you! No Office for you! No <insert any app that has this DRM> for you!

Unacceptable. I understand that gaming is not on the same level as business critical software, but in either case the software license was paid for and I think that the consumers have a right to use what they purchased (in an offline mode) in the event of connection interruption or failure.

Just my 2 cents.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Yeah for sure. And thats something microsoft has considered doing. Just give customers a monitor and load the OS from a server. If that was the case im sure there would be redundancy in place to handle the storm.

But nevertheless it would be a but nicer if you could say authenticate when you install it. then just authenticate if the connection is up or something. I dunno some happy medium

10. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Okay it's taken me three tries to get this post up so far with my satellite connection.
    (Yes it's cloudy here)

I used to hate MS's authentification, but it is looking like a more reasonable DRM method these days.
    (Did I just say that :eek:)

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I know people that do no hook their game systems up to the internet at all. 21st century or not. I think it is unreasonable. It was already necessary to activate online, but ick.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    They say "If you can access the internet, you can play the game" when the FAQ asks about firewalls, etc.

Bullshit. "If you can access our site" is what it should say. Alot of universities, etc, will block it.

Oh and for those on satallite internet and it rains? Guess times are changing and video games are NOT for rainy days eh? Now more kids will play games on sunny days instead of playing baseball and get fatter lol.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Ok remember bioshock? cracked in a few days, and way easier to handle, just run setup and replace a file. This will obviosly fail just the same.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats so cute. I bet they will crack this shit before the official release date.

15. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    No posting of piracy or support. ;)

Simple, don't pirate, and don't play if you dont like it.

10 Year Member at TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  16. PP Mguire

PP Mguire

Thanks Received:
    Lol this will be cracked before Assassins Creed 2 is even released for PC so no worries there. Probably the only game Ubisoft puts out id pay for.

17. MadClown

MadClown

Thanks Received:
    Crysis Warhead has a 5 install limit(Crysis Wars and the original Crysis do not).

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    HELL no, nothing like steam even more so this part.

What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?
    If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect. If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.

Well im not buying settlers no more lol.

19. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I remember BioShock had(s) something like this too.. very lame and annoying thank god theres a crack.

Ohwell we should support well made games for the PC, thats forsure.. If we dont we may be bound to console gaming sooner than later.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I miss the good old days when DRM means insert your CD.

21. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Ubisoft just lost my business. My Internet Connection isn't stable enough to last the 12+ hours I often leave games running.

I have to disagree with newtekie1. I've encountered pretty much every form of DRM from the primitive SafeDisk to the practically unbreakable StarForce 3.5, to the equally difficult Tages, to EA's modified SecuROM 7 that registers your game with EA servers. People hated EA's download limits and this takes it step futher. Not only does it require an Internet connection to play, but that Internet connection cannot be interrupted.

The only developer I have seen to remove DRM after a while is Deep Silver/IGS/Egosoft (the X series of games). As far as I can recall, none of the major publishers (EA, Ubisoft, Valve, nor Eidos) have removed DRM after the game was released. EA offers a "deauthorize" tool which is so complicated, it requires its own "manager" for games with install limits but all it does is credit you one install back so you can install it again. It does not, in any way, remove the DRM features of the software. Don't get me started on EA Download Manager...

Crackers are gonna love this.

Ubisoft and EA have both made the mistake of believing that software will fix their crappy game sales when the exact opposite is true. Joe has a problem with the DRM, Joe calls in and discovers their customer/technical support is crap. Joe can't play the game and is at a loss of $40-50 because most retailers won't take returns on opened software. Joe either turns to piracy or refuses to buy another EA/Ubisoft title.

Their practices in attempting to protect their IP are unfair and unreasonable.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    dr emulator (madmax) and qubit say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

ohh man the "Silent Hunter 5" forum is going freaking nuts.. almost everyone there was excited about the game.. as soon as we broke news of this... man everyone is pissed off.. most everyone on the forum isn't going to buy Silent hunter 5.... i bought 1-4 but.... i might try alternative means

23. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I don't like this restriction of no offline mode at all. Also, the description seems to contradict itself a bit. You need to be online to log in and the game will pause if internet connection is lost (joy! :rolleyes: ) but you can carry on. Therefore being online isn't strictly necessary?

Regardless, this is more unreasonably restrictive than Steam, which allows full offline mode and I won't buy a game using it.

Will Ubi's system allow game backups like Steam does?

24. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I agree with everything in your post 110% Ford, especially the bit above. DRM stinks in all its forms - including Steam, which is the "best" one out there and gives you relative freedom. I hate that my first use rights have been denied and I can't sell the games on. They have no right to do this.

25. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:

Looks like I'll be adding ubisoft to my list of companies I don't give money :laugh:

( Apple being top of my list)