• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PlayStation3 Could Arrive Autumn 2008

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Shrinking the chip in the PS3 isn't going to increase sales. Heat,stability and hardware failure aren't issues with the PS3. What they need to do is get programmers who aren't lazy and make games worthy of being on PS3, not crappy ports that have framerate issues. Devil May Cry 4 seems like the first real good example of a game made right. Also the Falcon's most likely will still have a high failure rate, maybe not as much as the Zeph's but its the GPU that needs a die shrink, and that won't come until August when the "Jasper" models come out, equipped with a 65nm CPU & GPU. I really do want a 360, but the hardware failing does scare me away from it. I might just tough it out with PS3 until August and then finally get a 360 like I want.

To my knowledge, the only not so good port that has ever been put on the PS3 is the Orange Box. This was mainly due to to EA's deadlines and Gabe not knowing how to program for the PS3, and thus handing it off to another developer. The only framerate problems in the game (which have been over exaggerated) are when you go into a small room with water running on Half Life 2. At that point you will notice a drop of 5 frames to 10 frames. Nothing that totally messes up your gaming experience though.

Every game I've played thus far has been awesome. COD4...great port. Have you played Uncharted? Resistance? Warhawk? Heavenly Sword? If not I suggest you do, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with the PS3's present game selection, nor the future PS3 game selection.

:toast:

Awesome! A Sony PS3 FTW. Since we're speculating, I hope this new version will have:

- a 65nm CPU (they've just shrunk it to 65nm, I doubt they're going to switch to a smaller process this year)
- a 65nm GPU (they haven't shrunk the GPU yet, and it's about time for a die shrink - this will probably bring total PS3 power consumption under 100 watts)
- 120/160 GB hard disk, or...gasp! A screaming fast 8/16 GB SSD!
- DualShock 3
- A Blu-Ray movie or a game bundle included.

And hopefully a sweet $300 pricetag for the most basic model. If they pull off something like this, their sales will quadruple, guaranteed. :cool:

I have no reason to be pissed about a PS3 with the same technology, just slimmer (and probably with a 45nm processor). As far as one coming out with a bigger HD, I could just buy a 2.5" sata HD and put it right in my PS3.

indeed
I got still 20gb free and I dont know is it ever going to be full one day but its not hard to buy and attach a 250gb 2"5 sata disc.
slim or fat both ps3 are strong and beatiful :)
but some PAL devices has seriously bluray laser problem. but if itshappen son will give you new one so nevermind keep playin!

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
To my knowledge, the only not so good port that has ever been put on the PS3 is the Orange Box. This was mainly due to to EA's deadlines and Gabe not knowing how to program for the PS3, and thus handing it off to another developer. The only framerate problems in the game (which have been over exaggerated) are when you go into a small room with water running on Half Life 2. At that point you will notice a drop of 5 frames to 10 frames. Nothing that totally messes up your gaming experience though.

Every game I've played thus far has been awesome. COD4...great port. Have you played Uncharted? Resistance? Warhawk? Heavenly Sword? If not I suggest you do, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with the PS3's present game selection, nor the future PS3 game selection.

:toast:

Madden 08 suffers from 30 FPS whereas 360 has 60, some games lack features that other versions have. In Burnout on the 360, you can put your own music and have it played throughout the game, many other games suffer from framerate issues, NHL 08. I'm not bashing the PS3, I know its a powerful console, the cause is lazy programmers who are not yet familiar with the PS3.

ktr

The great thing about Burnout is that it was made by ps3 developers. So the graphics and framerates are better on the ps3 than the 360. Also in game music is to come with the in game XMB...which is to come soon.