• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New power supply - computer randomly shuts off and turns itself back on

hockey3761

Hello,

I recently swapped my old power supply for a new one. Since then, my computer will shut off randomly and then turn itself back on.

Sometimes it will be working for hours and then randomly turn off, with no other issues for the day. Other times it will shut off after maybe 1 hour of use, but throughout the next few hours it will randomly shut off, sometimes multiple times within the hour.

When I installed the power supply, I tested the computer out doing some VR for an hour. The next day working from home, I experienced the issues. The following day I only experienced one computer shut down. I live in southern california and we did have extreme fires very close to where I live. During the fires the lights in the apartment flickered. However, the shut downs did not occur during any flickering. Today there has not been any flickering issues with the lights, but I did get the one random shut down.

I had a 500w power supply and upgraded to a Corsair 750w to be ready for a new graphics card. I am not sure if the fires and heavy winds are affecting power in my area and maybe my computer is shutting off because my apartment is getting random moments of decreased power, or if maybe my power supply is defecitve.

What are the troubleshooting steps I should take?

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Are you sure its psu check problem reports
swap psu back in maybe its faulty
check all cable connections

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
If brownouts are common in your area, I'd suggest looking at getting a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to protect your system.

hockey3761

I checked all plugs were in tight. I swapped out the new faulty PSU for my old one. So far, no problems. Thinking its defective. exchanging for a new one to see. If I have problems with power with my old one, then its the electricity in the area due to the fires. Thanks guys!