• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New PSU, from good to cheap, advise!

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I found a place that probably has the Gigabyte P650B ("probably" because it's a store that has the reputation of not always having what they have listed in their site).
It looks to me, on the insisdes, about as cheap as the others. Here and here are some pictures of the insides.
Any opinions on that one?
It's a cheap fan but they actually use some nippon caps in there. I would easily take this unit over those other two units if I had choose among the three.

This is what I have, is is a Thermaltake Tough Power Grand Series - RGB 750W with 80+ gold rating.

I've been using Thermaltake parts when I can since they're all going in a Thermaltake view 71 case
which is a heavy monster but I like that it is modular - just like this PSU. I would suggest a modular PSU for the
ease of only using what you need, and less clutter.

Allso, The Thermaltake UX100 CPU cooler is really nice - huge, but nice. Take a look when ypou have a moment.

Here is a link to the T.T. PSU ;)

Nice and thanks, but I can't choose for the moment, due to the situaion. The Aerocool (Cylon 500-600 and700W) and the Gamemax (VP 600 650 and 800W, VP 600 RGB, and the GP 500 and 650) PSUs are the only ones available at a reasonable price, probably the Gigabyte also if it's really in stock. Everything else here is ridiculously expensive. I could order from Newegg, Amazon and others but it will take months to get here, if it ever gets here, unbroken, and at from 150% to 200%+ the price.
BTW my current dying (?) Cooler Master is semi modular and yes that's very convenient.
From TT here I can only get the SMART series White and White RGB, then something from Corsair, Seasonic, all at horrible prices.

It's a cheap fan but they actually use some nippon caps in there. I would easily take this unit over those other two units if I had choose among the three.

Monday will see if it's actually available.

Today I disassembled my PSU again (only removed the cover, nothing else) and noticed nothing weird, looked at all the capacitors and all look perfect (no bulge, no stain, tops flats and clean), the PCB looks perfect (only from the top), the chips, resistors, chokes, everything looks good. I did removed more dust and other dirt and I tested again, stiil working perfectly, still emitting odor, probably not that strong. But I don't know if it's really less strong or is it just me getting used to it...
I will try to contact some technician to tell me what's that smell.

Ok today I took out the PSU, removed the cover with the fan, plugged all in and let the PSU outside, on top of the case and tested that way...And apparently the smell is not coming from the PSU but somewhere else :oops: . I have no idea where it's coming from and all is working perfectly. Turns out that the smell is stronger when I stress the computer only because the fans start to move more air, which is what I also thought before because I had the theory that the smell didn't originate from the computer but from something outside that has that smell, it filled the computer and now the smell got stuck in my computer and that's why it's stronger when I turn it on first time everyday...but for a month?! I checked the motherboard and some of the cables and all looks fine, then I will check the rest...At least I don't have to buy a shitty PSU...

Now given that my PSU is 10 years old and one transformer inside is making a not loud coil whine noise that can be noticeable when close to the PSU... do you think I should change it anyway, but for some good one like the Seasonic GM550 (now that the problem those had is fixed)?

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I'd replace any PSU at 10 years as a matter of course, so yeah.

I'm sorry for bumping a old thread. But when doing research on the Gamemax RGB 850 this is one of the first things that comes up.

I bought one during that period when PSUs were hard to get because everyone wanted a new one for the RTX 3000 series (if only I had known I wouldn't get my turn on EVGA's waiting list till late Sep 2021!). Anyways I got the email from EVGA and bought a RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra. Before that I had a EVGA GTX 1080 SC. I have an 8700K OC @ 4.7 Ghz all core, 2 PCI-E NVME SSD's, 2x 3TB 7200 RPM HDD's, and 3 140MM Be Quiet case fans.

The PSU worked perfectly when I got it. I was never able to hear its fan no matter if I was gaming or running some sort of CPU/GPU burn in program. I was also quite impressed with how quality it felt from the get-go in terms of packaging, presentation, feel etc.

However, once I got my RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra it's now giving me a problem. It gets REALLY loud when I play any game. Within 1 minute of launching a game the PSU fan ramps up to what has to be it's max speed. Every PSU calculator I've used says my system most likely draws about 650W under full load. So 850W should be just fine. But it seems the Gamemax RGB 850 can't handle it.

I couldn't find anything online about others having this issue, and this PSU actually has a good number of customer reviews on Amazon and Newegg. Including people with newer more power hungry CPU's than me and RTX 3090's saying their Gamemax RGB 850 is silent while gaming.

So I email customer service. Don't hear anything for 5 days. Send another e-mail saying I'm updating my Amazon review to let people know that there is no real warranty on this product because customer service simply dose not respond.

Next day I get a reply, they claim that the e-mail where I said I was gonna update my amazon review was the first they have gotten from me which is simply not true. But in order to even get them to make a decision on an RMA I have to do the regular stuff. Order number / image of invoice, computer specs. But they also require me to record a video of the PSU and show how loud it gets. That's just crazy if you ask me.

I actually just remembered that it comes with a card stating if you register the PSU with them (which I did as soon as I got it), you get 8 years of warranty instead of 5 and more importantly 24 months instead of 12 to get "a full refund". So that's what I'm gonna tell them. I just want my money back. I got all the box and all the packaging it came in, every book, card etc. I'll request for them to make good on that guarantee. Won't be surprised if they don't though.

Oh, take the customer reviews with a grain of salt anyways, they include a card asking you to email them your "thoughts" on the product. They reply asking you to give them a review on amazon, include pictures etc. Once you do that, they claim they will send you a free RGB mouse pad. So basically, bribe you for a positive amazon review.

Attachments

• 20211008_055634_remastered_50.jpg
    20211008_055634_remastered_50.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20211008_055840_50.jpg
    20211008_055840_50.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 48