1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New System - sorry for new thread!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Cruvenium, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the totally new thread, but, it's important, I'm going to order soon.

I'd like to play Crysis on 1680x1050 High/Very High 2XAA, Team Fortress 2, etc.

Here's the build, anything more to improve (like HDMI cables, anything am I missing out?)

Asus P5Q Deluxe w/ Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Seagate 3.5inh SATA-II 640GB 7200RPM 32MB HD > Seagate 3.5inh SATA-II 750GB 7200RPM 32MB HD
    OCZ PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 1066MHz 4GB Kit (2x2GB)
    HIS HD4870X2 2GB GDDR5 PCI-e VGA
    Antec Nine Hundred
    OCZ S75CF Silencer 750W Quad Crossfire PSU
    Samsung SH-S182M 18X LightScribe DVD Burner
    Samsung 22" 2253BW
    Xigmatek HDT S1283 CPU Cooler
    Logitech G15
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Razer eXactMat
    Logitech X210 2.1 > Logitech X240 2.1
    D-Link DWA-110 Wireless-G USB Adapter > D-Link DWA-120 Super-G USB Adapter
    Philips SHE8500 Turbo Bass Earphones
    Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset

The ones in BOLD are the one I'm changing to. The one before the ">" is the one that was before.

Am I missing anything out? I'll be running the computer from my room, my broadband is downstairs. I'm using wireless. I'd like to play Crysis, Half Life 2, etc. Are they good enough?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a damn fine rig. At 1680x1050 a 4870x2 will easily completely max out Crysis and HL2. It'll continue to do so for every game you may encounter through 2008, and probably for a good bit into 2009. Then you may have to turn down the AA to 8x or something. Not like you'd really need more than 4x. Looks solid all the way around though, only thing missing is 5.1 surround and perhaps a bigger monitor. I'd get a bigger case too, but that's more of a personal opinion thing.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking if it was 2009 I'd throw in another 4870X2, maybe by then there will be newer stuffs. I don't really want a bigger monitor, this has reached my budget. It was 3.5K SGD. I still could throw in a 5.1, but my room table would be messy. Do I place the big thingy under my table and the two small speakers on my table? I can't really afford a bigger monitor. What kind of case would be better? A CoolerMaster HAF?

4. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    The step up looks pretty good man. I don't see a need to do anything but buy.
    As for the speakers... you want the sub on the bottom away from the computer.
    Then for the Monitor.. go with the one you have.. in the future if you feel the need to grab a new one, sell that one and go even bigger if you can fit it...

Also, welcome to TPU

5. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks alot Cold Storm for the friendly greeting!

I only have a laptop, and a 10" CRT monitor! Haha! Well, what's the sub for anyway?

6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Sub is for a deeper bass, and to give more to your speakers as in sound and what not... You can have a good around with just normal speakers, but grabbing up a sub, then you get the sound that the movie or music, or game just puts in.. The BOOM

Then, if you really feel sound is a issue, then later on, don't have to have it, grab a Sound card you can mod... I love my Auzen X-Plosion 7.1 because of the modding I can do it... Have the deep bass I want for it.. and all less then the $100+ models...

7. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd just go with the integrated, can't be arsed to buy a new one, budget exceeded. I think the X240 is enough. This could last me several years, the most I'd upgrade is the RAM & graphic card. If HDD is not enough I'd throw in another 1TB when I need.

8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Nah, man. Your system is quite all right as you have it... Most don't even need a sound card in their rig. Not worth it in some things.. But, I love my music and such that I just had to...

9. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great great. Thanks alot! I can finally order the parts. I'm also new to building the parts, and I'm abit nervous. I'm afraid that I might make a mistake and everything goes wrong D:

10. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    It's all good man.. just look at threads everyone as started on building, and you'll know what to do... It happens... man does it on being worried... I was also when I dropped that load amount... But, then you just can't get enough because of it all.

11. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright then. When the parts arrive I'll take a picture of everything, then I'll read the manual. Till then, thanks alot for the guides!

12. kyle2020 Guest

Like Farlex said, id only recommend thinking twice about the case. Im currently trying to sell mine as its just not laid out well enough inside.

But, like they say, personal preference :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    What case then?

14. kyle2020 Guest

Well, if your planning a really top spec gaming rig like you are, then id recommend a full tower case - something like a CM stacker or a thermaltake armour - if your still want a midi case then the Lian li series are a nice line up of cases. Friday night i built a pc using an antec 300 - everything the 900 should have been layout wise just less of the bells and whistles.

just my 2 cents :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    What will be the advantages? Better air-flow?

16. kyle2020 Guest

better airflow, more room to work with, better looks if you ask me. Also, itll be better if you consider upgrading to say water cooling later on.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    CoolerMaster HAF, how's that?

18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    But then there's more air to push around, so that doesn't really count imo. :)

And for a generic user the only good thing a fulltower will bring is a bit more wicked look. Unless you're going for watercooling and stuff later on or want a server or something it's pretty unnecessery. Plus they're bulky.

But just as kyle point out, it really just comes down to personal taste.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see. Then I'll keep the Antec Nine Hundred. Thanks alot!

20. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    since your only doing 1680*1050, you could get a regular 4870 or a gtx260 over the 4870x2 and still get the performance your looking for while saving some money.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd go with the 4870X2, as I love bragging rights :) and looking at the FPS would just make me go happy ;D

22. kyle2020 Guest

youll grow one hell of a E-Penis with that build haha.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Epeen... That would make anyone grain a epeen. Even if you don't have it... lmao

24. Cruvenium New Member

Thanks Received:
    It r getting longar! If I'll throw in another 4870X2 next time.. ooooh. Glory.

25. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Dang dude... I want dibs on whatever you think you want to sell a while from now... lol..

Looks good man. :toast: