1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New TechPowerUp Forums, Early Access

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by btarunr, Jul 23, 2013.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Earlier this year, TechPowerUp modernized its site design after months of work, and inputs from everyone including the community. As a follow up to that, we are modernizing TechPowerUp Forums. The modernization will involve not just superficial/user-interface improvements, but also a revamp of the underlying Forums software.

We held on to vBulletin 3.x for long, not because we didn't see the need to update the software, but because we were unsatisfied with its two succeeding versions. We've decided to completely change the Forums software over to XenForo, a relatively new Forums/BB software outfit, with a software we found to win on performance, security, and layout. Sure, it would entail a lot of work porting stuff between the two, but we feel it's worth it.

[​IMG]

What will change
    • The Forums layout, design (minor), a few cosmetic changes
    • The way you interact with the forums software (bbcode won't change)
    • "Thanks" will be called "Likes"
    • A new color scheme that will match our new site design (we're working on it)
    • No internal signature pics
    What won't change (important)
    • Your membership of TechPowerUp Forums, account status, infraction record
    • The URL of our forums
    • Your posts, threads, the images you posted, your avatars, and everything you ever did on TPU Forums
    • Your "Thanks" counts will become your "Likes" counts, but won't change
    • Forum guidelines

Community testing
    We're determined to change the forums, but we're giving you the chance to brainstorm with us, on what you'd like us to implement in the new forums. Make good use of this opportunity!

New TechPowerUp Forums

A few things to remember:
    • It has its own unique URL for now, you'll need to log in with your TPU username and password again
    • It's still rough on the edges, watch your step
    • It's not "linked" with the current vBulletin-driven forums, and uses a copy of its databases (we made that copy sometime around 10th, so don't panic if you don't see your recent posts)
    • Posts you make on that forum won't show up on the current vBulletin-driven forums
    • Who's awesome? you're awesome!, for spending your time testing it, and giving us feedback

Post your constructive feedback here.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    People who have infraction records were all excited for just a second at the thought of a clean slate. Then they see nothings changing. I know Mailman is happy his record isn't changing :laugh:

3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I definitely see great potential, but right now aesthetically it's a little unsatisfying. specifically i think the chat cloud icons next to category names should be made smaller or replaced with a different icon entirely. I also think the font used for the category names is not very clean.

I do like the look once you are in a category however, with thread names and whatnot. that all looks good i think.

I'll test around functionality, and can already see myself being ready to adopt very soon, but some tweaks to the aesthetics (which normally come after function i know) would make a big difference.

Like the direction :)

4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can I ask....what the french is a trophy point?

I have some, do they get me cookies?

I also agree the balloons on the left are odd.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Please try to keep the same kind of color layout, it's soothing to the eyes. I don't need something invoking an argument like hardforum's scheme (no offense). Would also be easier to the eyes if you could make the borders around each person's post come out more, like a very slightly darker shade of that baby blue that's already there. It's easy to tell where each person's post stops on this old forum.
    Why may I ask we are getting likes instead of our traditional thanks buttons? This isn't facebook!!! :D

6. ogharaei TPU Proofreader Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Too bright for my poor eyes. Are there any other options for quotations?

Pjokerxp_ says thanks.
  7. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't like them either. Any suggestions?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    the mechanics seem similar, its just that xenforo called them "likes". we can even import our existing thanks to the likes system (hasn't been done for the current installation)

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    I'm on my phone so I can't get a good sense of it yet.

But I'm with happita, I'm going to miss the "thanks" of old. Likes reminds me of all the social network stuff, but I will get used to it.

I don't suppose has something that can be changed, due to the forum software?

Nvm, thanks W1zz

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Love the fact that the stickies are now only on page one of each section!!!!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Will there still be a "latest posts" feature on these new forums? It's one of the reasons I almost exclusively use TPU because just staring at a bunch of subforums doesn't really tell me what threads are active, only the latest thread from each subforum.

Also, the alternately colored threads in each subforum are pretty much invisible on TN monitors (happens pretty much with every site that uses the faint yellow color). What I mean is there is practically zero color differentiation between the threads listed unless I look up at my work monitor from below. Again, this monitor is a $100 POS but it's probably representative of what a majority of people use.

happita says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    when you sign in, there is a "new posts" tab that shows up.

had to lul at Robot:1 online!

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    For the "pin" icon, could it be moved to the left? That way it'd be faster to distinguish the pinned threads from the rest. I didn't notice the pins until I went looking for them.

As for that chat bubbles, maybe it would even look good with no icons at all?

14. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    If you take a look up top, you can click on "Recent Posts" and it brings you to a dedicated page of posts as far back as a few days. I don't think anything more than 10 days should be on that page. In the specific subsections of the forums like Storage or something, I can get used to threads being there for weeks or even a month or 2 without it being rolled out of the cycle (then forcing people to actively use the search button to find it again). Whatever respectable number you guys think, the less that's on screen the less crowded the site can become and as an upside it free's up some space on the website's end.

15. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    fixed

LAN_deRf_HA says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

too plain?

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    better than the original in my humble opinion.

Only thing is the chat bubbles also denoted new topics or posts does it not, for each of those sections?

digibucc says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I do like the current "Latest Posts" box. Will that be added in?

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I agree. I'm not sure if it's implemented or not on the original site, but it would be cool to know off-hand without noticing the "latest posts" to see a very small icon somewhere in the same row denoting that there's a new post on a thread or to "bold" the title of a thread.

20. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I like it. The things I dislike are really nit picky.
    On the current forums there is this little icon on the link for the last post. [​IMG] The new one does not have it. It is not necessary but I had to look twice for the link but only the first time.
    The trophies. Does everything need a progression system with little itty bitty awards?

Is the watched threads the new subscribed threads? I can't tell because the threads are old.

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  22. ogharaei TPU Proofreader Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like it more without bubbles

23. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I prefer "friends/contacts" over "followers/following" and a darker color but otherwise I'm sure I could get used to the rest of it

erocker says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    IMHO .. It's too blue and really aesthetically dull.
    Show them some of the colors we were testing to make the site a bit more visually engaging by separating the section with different header colors.
    Use what you want, but it wouldn't hurt to get a little feedback on that too. No?

25. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i give it my approval. its good. hope we get notifications as alerts to new posts in subscribed threads too :D

and thanks instead of likes would be nice.

and the white is tooo bright. a bit more color would be nice. perhaps TPU brand colors?

AsRock says thanks.