• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to mining

carlosdanger4444

Hi all I have 0 experience mining crypto. I just started mining doge on my laptop to familiarize myself with the process. Im interestedin this subject because I am pretty good at electronics and I recently came into 1200 watts of solar panels for free. im not interested in doing a grid tie and I have no batteries. Ive been trying to think of a use for 7.2 kwh (1200 watts available for 6 hours a day). the idea of running a small mining rig came to mind. can anyone give me a recomendation for a 1kw mining rig, what crypto would be best to mine with it and roughly how much I could make running it for 6 hours a day? also any advice on getting the rig and program to start up automatically after intermittent power losses.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
1200 watts is a theoretical maximum for perfect conditions.. in practice you will not get that.. you will need a fair bit more solar power to make mining worth while..

trog

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Hi all I have 0 experience mining crypto. I just started mining doge on my laptop to familiarize myself with the process. Im interestedin this subject because I am pretty good at electronics and I recently came into 1200 watts of solar panels for free. im not interested in doing a grid tie and I have no batteries. Ive been trying to think of a use for 7.2 kwh (1200 watts available for 6 hours a day). the idea of running a small mining rig came to mind. can anyone give me a recomendation for a 1kw mining rig, what crypto would be best to mine with it and roughly how much I could make running it for 6 hours a day? also any advice on getting the rig and program to start up automatically after intermittent power losses.
As trog said , it won't be worth the investment , I have two PC's mining one my main rig at 41MH/s for 400 watts though it crunches too and on cold nights folds at the same time.
It earns about £2 a day at the minute it's electric bill is effectively free or it would not be worth it.

Plus the hardware is too expensive to buy to invest in this effort unless you already own it anyway.

My laptop does 23Mh/s and comes with a battery attached which could allow continuous running since it's less than 200 watts all in.

And their are OS just for mining based on Linux but having it autostart in Windows is easy enough.

I'm using nicehash since it's a piece of piss to use.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
It's not really a static value.

Mining is really not so much an investment for right now. With all factors considered, crypto is expected to continue to rise in value, so if you can spare the power and cover the bill then mine, understanding that it's probably not going to be worth a ton at this moment, and you may even incur losses in the short term.

I would ballpark a few bucks a day profit after taxes, cost, etc. is likely in the beginning with a smaller setup that is part time. But look back after 12 months in the middle of a spike and that few bucks can retroactively turn into $100, $200, $500 / day easy.

Power relay -> application wouldn't be a bad idea. I am sure some APCs have this feature. Not sure of the best way to implement this, but maybe starting the machine and having the mining software run at boot with auto login then it just have the APC api/software shut down when it hits apc power for 3 mins would probably be the simplest way to go. Perfection is the enemy of progress -> start simple then improve from there.

Start with whatever is easiest and gives you a good $/ time spent. Probably raptoreum on CPU while ethereum on GPU would be my guess. Seems like you know the crypto side of it already enough to get started tho.

Last edited:
System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Even with free electricity, the break even point is probably about 12 months considering the cost of GPUs today. Naturally this will stretch out longer if you have to price in the cost of the rig itself. And note that's mining 24x7. If you're mining 6 hours a day, it'll take about five years to break even.

Mining is for peasants. It's like trying to get rich from Amazon by driving one of their delivery vans. It's better to just buy shares of AMZN.

In the same way, if you want to get rich from cryptocurrency, just trade the currency. Forget trying to mine it. If you swing trade crypto and earn +30% ROI three times a year, you're basically doubling your ROI (after the exchange fees which are about 2%).

Commodities: peasants farm soybeans. Rich people trade soybean futures.

Crypto is the same.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Even with free electricity, the break even point is probably about 12 months considering the cost of GPUs today. Naturally this will stretch out longer if you have to price in the cost of the rig itself. And note that's mining 24x7. If you're mining 6 hours a day, it'll take about five years to break even.

Mining is for peasants. It's like trying to get rich from Amazon by driving one of their delivery vans. It's better to just buy shares of AMZN.

In the same way, if you want to get rich from cryptocurrency, just trade the currency. Forget trying to mine it. If you swing trade crypto and earn +30% ROI three times a year, you're basically doubling your ROI (after the exchange fees which are about 2%).

Commodities: peasants farm soybeans. Rich people trade soybean futures.

Crypto is the same.

you are right but small scale mining is more a fun thing.. i built a miner back in 2017 just because i fancied building one.. it has earned me money and is still doing so.. but it should not be viewed as a way of making money..

trog

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
i am in the process of "solarizing" a couple of my garden sheds.. i will end up with 20 x 150 watt panels.. a theoretical 3000 watts..

more a something to do thing than anything else thing.. the return on investment will take a long time.. i live in the UK not much sunshine but very high energy prices..

i have already done one 14 panel shed and the bits are coming for a smaller 6 panels shed giving me the 20 panels in all..

the sheds should help with my mining leccy bill.. more so during the summer..

trog