• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to OCing, just needing some recommendations

bpatterson007

Hey there, I'm a pretty big noob to OCing stuff. I just want some suggestions, but don't worry, I'm a fast learner. My current system is Athlon 64 2800+, 1GB DDR 400, SB Audigy, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/ 120mm Enermax fans out and in. I'm not sure what I can do with the processor...but that's not the main reason I'm here. I'm mainly here for the video card unless there's just an easy way to OC the processor. I used ATItool to OC my card, which is a 9700 pro with 128 MBit 'A' die 2.8ns memory. I was only able to bump the stock clocks up from 325/310 to 343/333. I guess that's not too bad without doing anything. What do you recommend fanwise? I realize the stock fan is crap and that's giving it too much credit. Also, anything about increasing voltage? Thanks.

bpatterson007

Oh one more thing, my HD is a western digital 80GB with the 8mb cache edition, 7,200 rpm I believe? I just d/led and ran 3DMark03 with the 3.5 patch on it and my score was 5320, good?

floppy

Hey :)
I'm using this fan http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=41 ...it's quite silent and leads the heat directly out of the case (so the case temp decreases!), but I can't realize a better overclocking ability ;)
Use the ATITool and try to maintain the stock memclock (310), but increase the coreclock.
My card for example makes 352 mhz coreclock, if the memclock is 300 mhz. But if the memclock is 305 mhz, it only makes 310 mhz coreclock!!! ...yes, it's that decisive ;)

How much FBS does your CPU have?

bpatterson007

Ooh that fan does look nice, what's more important for speed when OCing? The core or ram, I would think the core I suppose... Also my FSB speed is 800mhz

floppy

Cooler: Don't know which is better, they nearly look like the same :\

CPU-OCing: You can overclock your CPU in the BIOS with changing FSB rates or multiplicator. Don't know much more than that, sry.

Well, I don't know if high ram or core clocks are better. Try this:
Find out your max mem speed (@stock coreclocks) with ATITool and subtract 3 MHz, then try to find out your max core speed (with the set memclock). I think you should get about 370/325.
Abort immediately if you see any artifacts!

You see: I don't know much about overclocking, too :\

>> Look on the RAM-module on your video card! The 2nd line on it should end with 2.8, 3.0 or 3.3 (the number tells you the reaction-time of the memory in nano seconds). If it ends with 3.3 your RAM isn't good enough to overclock it severe. If it ends with 3.0 your RAM should make some more speed ;) 2.8 is top for overclocking, should make high overclocking

Hope everything is right and I could help you