• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to RealTemp

Ardeth Bey

I've for the first time began to use this program and haven't a clue as how to use it. I'm using an Asus laptop and as of late, the machine when it goes to sleep, it then shuts down. It only does this at random and the machine does not seem to be hot whatsoever. All else seems to be working well.
Right now after install RealTemp, I'm getting under Temperature the following temperatures from left to right - 42 39 42 42
Distance to TJMax (whatever that is) I see the following temperatures, e.g. 57 58 59 56 & all fluctuating a small bit.
Under minimum I see the following numbers 37C 32C 34C 36C
Under maximum I see the following numbers 60C 60C 71C 70C
Under Thermal Status I see OK four times.
Do these numbers seem to be normal & if there is something else you folks would recommend I do with it, let me know. Do keep it simple though and type very slowly in all responses. Thanks.

(A bit later, the maximum numbers are as follows - 72C 74C 84C 84C)

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Temperatures are fine for an Intel CPU, on the AMD side, it should still be fine too, but AMD doesn't like the high temperatures that Intel can still run in.

As for the sleep and shutdown thing, you can try playing around in the Windows power setting configurations and see what works. I tend to disable both and just either run my laptops when I need them, and power them off when I don't, as sleep and such settings always caused me issues at some point or another.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
As for the sleep and shutdown thing, you can try playing around in the Windows power setting configurations and see what works. I tend to disable both and just either run my laptops when I need them, and power them off when I don't, as sleep and such settings always caused me issues at some point or another.

Yes, power options depending on what you have for an OS. I usually put my systems into Hibernate mode, it uses no power and comes back to life pretty fast.

Ardeth Bey

Thanks for the replies. I've tried unchecking the 'turn on for fast startup' and also under Power Performance, I've tried moving it from 100 to 0 but neither of those stopped anything. Do you folks feel an update could possibly bring on this grief? It's something I've noticed only as of late and am wondering if I should keep a Class A Fire Extinguisher right close! :)

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Thanks for the replies. I've tried unchecking the 'turn on for fast startup' and also under Power Performance, I've tried moving it from 100 to 0 but neither of those stopped anything. Do you folks feel an update could possibly bring on this grief? It's something I've noticed only as of late and am wondering if I should keep a Class A Fire Extinguisher right close! :)

Some laptops will shut down when the lid is closed, perhaps that's it?

Ardeth Bey

Nope. The lid is always opened. It's been more than three (maybe four days now) since this rig kicked out while in sleep mode. It's totally weird.

II'm using an Asus laptop and as of late, the machine when it goes to sleep, it then shuts down. It only does this at random and the machine does not seem to be hot whatsoever. All else seems to be working well.

If I type slower will you read faster ? Does it help w/ comprehension ? :) ... Im a terrible typist (need hand surgery) so forgive any typos.

1. Temperature is not an issue for the most part .... I do not like those 80s tho. You would still likely benefit from opening up and cleaning out the cat hair, dust, dandruff and cookie crumbs that have accumulated inside.

2. Of course one can make no comment on temps without a baseline which, as you might expect, is best done when lappie is new. I use RoG Real bench to establish a baseline. and then test every 3 months to see is a "dusting and cleaning" is warranted.

3. I assume that sleep mode is initiated by your power settings .... please list what is going to sleep and when (Screen, hard Disk, etc) from your settings.

4. Does your fan(s) turn off at any point ?

Do you remeber the date and time of the shut down ? Open Event Viewer and search the Windows System log for any error or warnings at that date / time.

Ardeth Bey

Thanks John for the slow typed response. I can read it at a normal pace that way but as to the comprehension thing, boy, that hurts! :) As to the temperatures, right now they're showing under minimum - 40c / 35c / 38c / 38c. Maximum is showing 59c / 58c / 71c/ 69c.
Apparently after the unit has been running for a bit, those temperatures increase based on the last report given here on this forum. As you suggest, it probably wouldn't hurt to have it cleaned since I never have since the machine was bought new.
Sleep mode is initiated by my Power Settings. Display goes off after 10 minutes plugged in or on battery. Hard Disk is set to never on Battery and 0 on Plugged in. I'm not quite sure what to look for further as to going to sleep.
This unit is quiet but once in a bit I'll hear the fans turn up when a program might be scanning. I honestly can't put a time when it shut down last time to be exact but if it does it again, I'll look into the Event Viewer to see if I can find anything.
Looking in there now, I can see errors & warnings from today and back a bit. But as said, I'll take a note of looking in there if the problem under consideration happens again and report it back here. Any advice other than a cleaning?