• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Toshiba Laptops for Business Professionals Redefine Thin and Light

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Toshiba's Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today announced its new range of high-performance business laptops. Reengineered from the ground up with thin, light and highly-durable designs, the new Tecra and Portégé laptops redefine mobility for business professional offering full performance and long battery life ratings in three form factors as well as a standard three-year limited warranty.

"Our new business laptops build on the success of our award-winning Portégé R700 ultraportable laptop, providing professionals what they need and want - the performance needed to handle demanding business tasks in lightweight and durable designs," said Carl Pinto, vice president of product development, Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Digital Products Division. "We focused on delivering what our customers asked for by reducing weight, increasing battery life and without sacrificing performance."

The Tecra and Portégé laptops are the thinnest Toshiba business laptops ever made. The Portégé R830 is redefining ultraportable and the Tecra R840 is about 25 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than its predecessor, Tecra M11. The Tecra R850 is equally impressive with its slimmer size.

High Performance Technologies
The new Tecra and Portégé laptops feature the latest mobile technologies designed to meet the demanding needs of business users, including 2nd generation Intel Core processors, high-speed 7200 RPM hard drives or 128GB Solid State Drive and optional AMD Radeon discrete graphics with 1GB of dedicated graphics memory. The laptops also include a broad range of standard ports including USB 3.0, eSATA/USB Combo with Toshiba's USB Sleep & Charge technology, DisplayPort or HDMI, ExpressCard, Gigabit Ethernet and docking connectors. Featuring a wealth of connectivity options, the laptops have Intel AMT 7.0, Bluetooth 3.0+EDR, Intel 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi and are Intel Wireless Display capable.

Enhanced Durability, Security and Style
For increased durability and strength without adding excess weight, the new Tecra laptops are built using a unique fiberglass‐reinforced casing with a honeycomb rib structure. The new Portégé features a Toshiba exclusive Magnesium Alloy casing with a honeycomb structure.

Equipped with Toshiba's EasyGuard Technology to help protect against accidental spills and bumps, the laptops also are designed with a suite of security features, including multiple level passwords, a fingerprint reader and optional SmartCard reader to help thwart unwanted access. A Trusted Platform Module offers high-level data encryption and available Computrace aids recovery in case of theft.

The Tecra laptops boast a stylish, textured Graphite Black Metallic with Line Pattern finish and premium raised tile spill resistant keyboards with Accupoint pointing devices. The Portégé R830 maintained its predecessor, the R700, award winning design and finish.

Lowering Total Cost of Ownership
The new Tecra and Portégé laptops were also designed to share the same image with similar graphics, the AC power adapter and the Hi-Speed Port Replicator II. The Portégé R830 and Tecra R840 also share the same 6-cell and optional 9-cell battery. This commonality in product design makes product deployment and support easier and helps reduce total cost of ownership.

Tecra R840 Series
Featuring a 14-inch diagonal HD LED-Backlit widescreen display, the Tecra R840 is the ideal all-around mobile business laptop. At about 25 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than its predecessor, the Tecra M11, the Tecra R840 is the thinnest 14-inch Tecra laptop ever made. Tecra R840 Series laptops can be configured with Intel Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 processors and features a battery life rating of up to 11 hours when configured with a Solid State Drive.

Detailed specifications can be found this page.

Tecra R850 Series
The ultimate mobile desktop replacement laptop, the Tecra R850 features a 15.6-inch diagonal HD LED-Backlit widescreen display and built-in 10-key numeric pad. At about an inch thin and a starting weight of 5.3 pounds9, the R850 is about 19 percent thinner and 6 percent lighter than its predecessor, the Tecra A11. Available with Intel Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 processors the R850 Series laptops feature a battery life rating of up to seven hours when configured with a Solid State Drive.

Detailed specifications can be found here.

Portégé R830 Series
The next generation of Toshiba's award-winning ultraportable Portégé family, the Portégé R830 continues to be the world's lightest 13.3-inch full-performance ultraportable laptop featuring an integrated DVD drive. With a starting weight of just 3.1 pounds and about one inch thin, the Portégé R830 can be configured with 2nd generation Intel Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 full performance processors as a result of Airflow Cooling Technology. The Portégé R830 Series laptops also feature a USB 3.0 port and Bluetooth 3.0 and can be configured with standard hard drives or solid state drives.

Detailed specifications can be found here.

Consumer Model Also Available
Toshiba will also offer consumer editions of the laptop, the Portégé R835 Series. Starting at $888.99 MSRP, the laptops feature Magnesium Blue covers and are powered by 2nd generation Intel Core i3 or i5 processors7, 4GB of DDR3 memory10 and 640GB hard drives11. In addition, the laptops feature a built-in USB 3.0 port4 and are Intel Wireless Display 2.0 capable, for wirelessly connecting the laptop to a big screen HDTV. Portégé R835 laptops do not include ExpressCard or docking capabilities and come only with a one-year limited warranty1.

Pricing and Availability
The Tecra R840 Series ($899.00 to $1,479.00 MSRP12), Tecra R850 Series ($879.00 to $1,399.00 MSRP) and Portégé R830 Series ($1,049.00 to $1,649.00 MSRP) will be available on April 12, 2011 through select Toshiba Preferred Partner Program resellers, e-tailers and directly at toshibadirect.com.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
II want APU at 8w total use for dual core.

Battery life, portability, productivity, and the multimedia demands of modern consumers need met. A ipad with more connectivity and productivity.....that can make calls, and video conference, and that has a keyboard that folds around so you can stand it up.

System Name Getting old!
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling About sufficient air cooling
Memory 4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 @1040Mhz
Video Card(s) Club 3D Radeon HD6950 1GB
Storage 120GB Kingston SSDNow 200V+, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Display(s) Crossover 27Q LED-P (lovely!)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Integrated -> optical -> HELIX P DSP
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
One thing has been buggin' me since I've made first contact with a laptop. What I've seen, more than 80% of laptops have more than totally crap viewing angles. There must be laptops with better panels? IPS or so?

For example, my friend bought a HP laptop last year and it cost more than 900€ and there is no such viewing angle that doesn't make everything look like crap. So just curious. This news doesn't say much either.