• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new video card for old analog TV with s-video

jollicat

I'm trying to find a respectable ATI card (hd4650 - hd4870) that can 'feed' my old analog widescreen TV (not HD Ready) 'good old' (crappy) s-video output. I came across this XFX card:

http://xfxforce.com/ecms.ashx/16675a0b-c386-469b-b416-1a894c4c100d/GraphicCardSeriesRelated_RelatedGraphicCardModels17/HD4870_PS_US_104.pdf

If you scroll down you'll see a photo of the back with what looks like an s-video output, although the caption says hdtv. Now, if you scroll down even further, you'll see a table that under "output" says: 'S-Video, Dual DVI, HDTV'.

So, I wonder what's going on here. Can this card provide that 'good old' s-video or will it be some new sort of "S-Video HDTV" that my TV can't handle?

Thanks.

MohawkAngel

It means that the resolution output on the S video is able to be higher than old s-video plugs. OR The DVI is a HDTV in fact really its just the sound that is not like in the HDMI plug but DVI or HDMI its still both numerical instead or Analogic like S-video, RCA and VGA plugs.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
S video is S video its been the same for 23 years, It has never changed. Use that for your tv as i doubt it has DVI :)

MohawkAngel

Even there...this card is too powerful for an old TV ...buy it if you are planing to buy a HDTV later. like that you will have the s-video plug one DVI plus you remain like that and one DVI plus you put a DVI-to-HDMI adapter on it but the sound wont be there.....ahnevermind find a card with s-video, dvi and HDMI on it so it will be able to bring the sound and video in one cable later if you buy a good tv :)

jollicat

Thanks guys. Spot on MohawkAngel ..I AM a bit of a poor bastard who for now can only spent a budget on a pretty good new system ..the TV will have to wait ;-)