• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New World (Closed Beta), an MMO, Found Bricking GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The game and gpu are independent and dependent variables, and that's all I have stated. Explaining how power management works has nothing to do with that statement. The game itself is absolutely in question due to it causing widespread reports of GPU damage. When did any of this happen prior to this during late 2020 and 2021 YTD?
There have been plenty of GPUs in the past that have burnt themselves up. This isn't a new phenomenon. It's also not the game's fault, it's usually the device or drivers.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
There have been plenty of GPUs in the past that have burnt themselves up. This isn't a new phenomenon. It's also not the game's fault, it's usually the device or drivers.

Agreed. This generation I don’t recall widespread reports of any cards faulting upon the release of a game.

New World releases in closed beta. Widespread reports of GPU faults flood in, with EVGA being spot lighted. Amazon Games has responded to this and has reported a bug upon reports, especially in 4K, but has not specifically claimed fault. EVGA has responded by saying they will uphold warranties.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Do closed betas usually wreck your PC physically?

Error prompt or burning PC, its all the same man. Gosh. Get with the outrage culture program already!

No Jay, it's how the drivers handle the game.

Jay doesnt need to be right, protruded eyeballs and all caps generate enough clicks for his livelihood.

Agreed. This generation I don’t recall widespread reports of any cards faulting upon the release of a game.

New World releases in closed beta. Widespread reports of GPU faults flood in, with EVGA being spot lighted. Amazon Games has responded to this and has reported a bug upon reports, especially in 4K, but has not specifically claimed fault. EVGA has responded by saying they will uphold warranties.

I would certainly not discount the thought thosr shite Ampere GPUs are already hanging together with duct tape and other bandaids. The problems they have had are all attributable to temps and current. They are power hogs, all of them. Spiky, and pretty unrefined. The 3090 crashing is not new to nvidia top end. 2080ti space invaders... its clear they walk a fine line , these products. Enough writings on the wall most notably the weird ti releases and VRAM capacities and the increased TDP across the stack.

Tenfoot poles still apply even if you can buy them IMHO.

Last edited:
A game won't make a GPU exceed it's full load cooling and power consumption poorly designed hardware that was pushed beyond it's breaking point however will. The RTX 3080/3090 is the poster child of hardware being really over aggressively pushed to it's knees to a questionable degree. Nvidia literally made a new power connection because the standard one that had been around for decades simply wasn't enough for it's power hungry FPS crown it was after and it needed to push TDP a lot higher better offset the RX series strong rasterization performance that was and is arguably much more compelling to many.

Nvidia was already pushing things heavily AIB's took it further and then overclocking enthusiasts got them and we're like we'll I test my luck too what's the worst that can happen my house burns down when I'm AFK in the New World game menu?

The default TDP is as high as my Seasonic PSU's entire wattage. Suffice to say I won't be getting a RTX3080 now or later.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...080-ftw3-ultra-xoc-450-w.273372/#post-4369689
Cuda core count alone doesn't reflect a linear gain in performance. They still have power and TDP to take into account and more Cuda cores will result in more power and heat though how much depends on the node design as well.
BTW did we ever a get a clear answer to the cause of the space invaders fiasco on previous RTX series cards or was just swept under the rag and forgotten!!? There was plenty of speculation about it, but was any legitimate consensus by Nvidia or partners disclosed in the end!!?

Jay doesnt need to be right, protruded eyeballs and all caps generate enough clicks for his livelihood.
I don't believe Jay is over concerned if he is correct or not, but would certainly prefer to be. If I can say one thing about Jay he is pretty genuine about his tinkering with hardware and willing to make personal investigations for the spirit of seeing how hardware behaves. He's knowledgeable enough, but not a absolute expert in all areas and knows as much and willing to concede he's wrong as well. Linus about MT/s not so much.

Last edited:
System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

would you say the same about furmark? it's furmark's fault my card's shitty VRM config blew up! furmark made my GPU consume 200% power and blow up!
furmark HAKECED my GPU! ban he! now!

Processor R7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B550 I
Cooling Fractal Celsius
Memory 32
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus RTX 4080 OC
Storage Lots
Display(s) LG 4k, Dell 1440p
Case Fractal Nano S
Audio Device(s) Vintage
Power Supply EVGA 650 SFF
Mouse Pwnage SYM2
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Error prompt or burning PC, its all the same man. Gosh. Get with the outrage culture program already!

I would certainly not discount the thought thosr shite Ampere GPUs are already hanging together with duct tape and other bandaids. The problems they have had are all attributable to temps and current. They are power hogs, all of them. Spiky, and pretty unrefined. The 3090 crashing is not new to nvidia top end. 2080ti space invaders... its clear they walk a fine line , these products. Enough writings on the wall most notably the weird ti releases and VRAM capacities and the increased TDP across the stack.

Tenfoot poles still apply even if you can buy them IMHO.
I dont think you should compare this issue to space invaders.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I don't believe Jay is over concerned if he is correct or not, but would certainly prefer to be. If I can say one thing about Jay he is pretty genuine about his tinkering with hardware and willing to make personal investigations for the spirit of seeing how hardware behaves. He's knowledgeable enough, but not a absolute expert in all areas and knows as much and willing to concede he's wrong as well. Linus about MT/s not so much.

Its TV. Its an act. Come on. Jay is what he wants us to see.

I dont think you should compare this issue to space invaders.
The cause of the issue may not be the same, but the general quality of the top-end GPUs in Nvidia's stack has a specific note to it. Every time, and logically so, its the hottest head in the stack, walking the finest line and with a relatively low OC potential. This is not every gen - but the 780ti was a similar bag of beans. Hot, low OC potential. Basically what you got out the box was what you got. And stability? Not fantastic. Its very noticeable you're dealing with a bigger chip than any x104 unit they produce.

They áre cut down, less perfect Titans (ánd produced on a node they didn't quite prefer). Lets not fool ourselves here just because it commands 1K price tags or more. As the technology gets more refined, so does power circuitry and Nvidia has been fiddling a lot with that - with varying success. Pascal was great, Maxwell was a step forward, and Kepler was a step up from Fermi, but at some point something's gonna give. Turing and Ampere are that moment, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Processor R7 5800X
Cooling Fractal Celsius
Memory 32
Storage Lots
Case Fractal Nano S
Audio Device(s) Vintage
Mouse Pwnage SYM2
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Its TV. Its an act. Come on. Jay is what he wants us to see.

The cause of the issue may not be the same, but the general quality of the top-end GPUs in Nvidia's stack has a specific note to it. Every time, and logically so, its the hottest head in the stack, walking the finest line and with a relatively low OC potential. This is not every gen - but the 780ti was a similar bag of beans. Hot, low OC potential. Basically what you got out the box was what you got. And stability? Not fantastic. Its very noticeable you're dealing with a bigger chip than any x104 unit they produce.

They áre cut down, less perfect Titans (ánd produced on a node they didn't quite prefer). Lets not fool ourselves here just because it commands 1K price tags or more. As the technology gets more refined, so does power circuitry and Nvidia has been fiddling a lot with that - with varying success. Pascal was great, Maxwell was a step forward, and Kepler was a step up from Fermi, but at some point something's gonna give. Turing and Ampere are that moment, if you ask me.
And yet, Space Invaders affected but a fraction of real world users and I suspect this latest issue will be even more shortlived.
EVGA has been sending out new cards to users with issues since yesterday.
You seem to think this is an ongoing issue that we will keep hearing more about, well maybe not.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
And yet, Space Invaders affected but a fraction of real world users and I suspect this latest issue will be even more shortlived.
EVGA has been sending out new cards to users with issues since yesterday.
You seem to think this is an ongoing issue that we will keep hearing more about, well maybe not.

Not at all? That's you jumping to my conclusions ;) I'm saying, these cards walk a fine line, so bad batches are too hard to spot and actually end up in the wild; and games can tweak a menu in such a way it causes them to burn to a crisp.

Unpatched and yet older GPUs with slightly less performance are fine? Mmm. Interesting. 500 FPS is ok, 1000 is not? Mmmm I see.

It makes you wonder 'what's next' for these cards. You don't know. And that's pretty serious for halo product.

Its also not exclusive to Nvidia or its top end cards, mind. Its just a fact every GPU in every gen's stack is a different one with different cost cutting, die cutting measures, and systems that are implemented in different ways. And there is definitely a bit of variation between them, some being great and others not quite so.

Another item of note is what you mention: "EVGA". A company notorious for problems with self designed cards/coolers.

Last edited:
Processor R7 5800X
Cooling Fractal Celsius
Memory 32
Storage Lots
Case Fractal Nano S
Audio Device(s) Vintage
Mouse Pwnage SYM2
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Not at all? That's you jumping to my conclusions ;) I'm saying, these cards walk a fine line, so bad batches are too hard to spot and actually end up in the wild; and games can tweak a menu in such a way it causes them to burn to a crisp.

Unpatched and yet older GPUs with slightly less performance are fine? Mmm. Interesting.

It makes you wonder 'what's next' for these cards. You don't know. And that's pretty serious for halo product.

Its also not exclusive to Nvidia or its top end cards, mind.
Lets just all tip our hats to EVGA that provides us with bleeding edge cards, Insane available 500W+ Bioses and then accepts RMA's when we fry shit.
I believe there's stuff out there for the Camry drivers too, it's all good.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Lets just all tip our hats to EVGA that provides us with bleeding edge cards, Insane available 500W+ Bioses and then accepts RMA's when we fry shit.
I believe there's stuff out there for the Camry drivers too, it's all good.

Bleeding edge? They offer the same stuff every other AIB does. And their warranty is not just service, its an absolute necessity given the fuckups of recent years/gens. Our thoughts are different here. That's fine.

Processor R7 5800X
Cooling Fractal Celsius
Memory 32
Storage Lots
Case Fractal Nano S
Audio Device(s) Vintage
Mouse Pwnage SYM2
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Bleeding edge? They offer the same stuff every other AIB does. And their warranty is not just service, its an absolute necessity given the fuckups of recent years/gens. Our thoughts are different here. That's fine.
Yeah you know, glass half full and all that ..

Processor 5900x
Motherboard Crosshair 8 Impact
Cooling Air
Memory Hynix C-Die 3200MHz @CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Lots
Display(s) Many
Case Something that protects my innards
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX gen2
The problem is that unless there is a configuration file that you already know about and are absolutely certain how to turn V-Sync on then you run the risk of a 7,000+FPS black screen between you and turning it on in the game's menus. Most people aren't going to know that until either they come across the news (presuming they read or watch tech news) or their card gets killed.

Nvidia control panel allows for limiting to a max fps value prior to first launch. So in the worst case, that would be a solution. Not that this subtracts anything from the unacceptability of such an issue to begin with.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Nvidia control panel allows for limiting to a max fps value prior to first launch. So in the worst case, that would be a solution. Not that this subtracts anything from the unacceptability of such an issue to begin with.
The control panel does allow that, but high FPS has never killed any card. Even if some cards have died, high FPS has nothing to do with it.
Please don't let this be another stupid PC myth that will never go away.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It's more that uncapped, simple GPU load with low load elsewhere on the card can expose flaws in power balancing

Hi to all the gurus out there :)

I see a VBIOS Update in the Precision X1 software.

Ya think I should go for it?

Attachments

• my3070.jpg
    my3070.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 62
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Hi to all the gurus out there :)

I see a VBIOS Update in the Precision X1 software.

Ya think I should go for it?

Likely for rebar, so only if you want/need that. Pretty much unrelated to this.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
It's more that uncapped, simple GPU load with low load elsewhere on the card can expose flaws in power balancing
As you can see in the original Reddit thread, the people who claims their card have died have all throughout gameplay, not primarily in the menu. It's the high FPS which people think is abnormal which has led people to thinking it's dangerous, even though it's not.

High FPS in menus, loading screens etc. has been normal since the late 90s.
I mean no disrespect here, but if you knew how GPUs were programmed, you wouldn't even propose this idea. Rendering works by submitting a queue of commands to a driver, which in turn translates it into the GPU's native API. The GPU is in control over frame rate and potential frame pacing. A rendering engine submits new commands as soon as the driver accepts it, and is unaware whether the command is executed or if the GPU just accepts more commands. If you e.g. have V-sync enabled, the renderer will stall when it calls to swap buffers, until the driver detects the GPU is done. Attempting to time rendering from the rendering engine will be much more crude, as it has no direct control over when the frame is actually rendered. This is how games and thousands of programming examples works. Attempts to add sleeps or wait-loops in the rendering engine will be a very imprecise way to reduce frame rate, and is likely to cause stutter and input lag in a menu.

Whenever you see people claiming high FPS is dangerous, that a game needs to regulate power or balance the GPU, or even regulate the clock speed of the GPU, it's a clear sign they don't know what they're talking about.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
As you can see in the original Reddit thread, the people who claims their card have died have all throughout gameplay, not primarily in the menu. It's the high FPS which people think is abnormal which has led people to thinking it's dangerous, even though it's not.

High FPS in menus, loading screens etc. has been normal since the late 90s.
I mean no disrespect here, but if you knew how GPUs were programmed, you wouldn't even propose this idea. Rendering works by submitting a queue of commands to a driver, which in turn translates it into the GPU's native API. The GPU is in control over frame rate and potential frame pacing. A rendering engine submits new commands as soon as the driver accepts it, and is unaware whether the command is executed or if the GPU just accepts more commands. If you e.g. have V-sync enabled, the renderer will stall when it calls to swap buffers, until the driver detects the GPU is done. Attempting to time rendering from the rendering engine will be much more crude, as it has no direct control over when the frame is actually rendered. This is how games and thousands of programming examples works. Attempts to add sleeps or wait-loops in the rendering engine will be a very imprecise way to reduce frame rate, and is likely to cause stutter and input lag in a menu.

Whenever you see people claiming high FPS is dangerous, that a game needs to regulate power or balance the GPU, or even regulate the clock speed of the GPU, it's a clear sign they don't know what they're talking about.
trust me, i had a GPU with insane coil whine for a few years when the load went unbalanced - if you get that in menus and load screens and it causes damage, it doesnt have to kill it in the load screens to have been DAMAGED during them

My melted out PCI-E power cables didnt happen in one quick burst, it was a slow build up of overheating and melting, and is the most likely cause of what happened here, too
Left on menus for ages: damage simply happened much faster

Again, this is all about exposing a flaw in the GPUs via slow death, not about "high FPS is insta kill"

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
trust me, i had a GPU with insane coil whine for a few years when the load went unbalanced - if you get that in menus and load screens and it causes damage, it doesnt have to kill it in the load screens to have been DAMAGED during them
Coil whine isn't dangerous by itself. It can sometimes be a symptom of bad power delivery, which in turn can lead to damage, but coil whine resulting from high FPS is harmless, even if you do it for hours at the time.

My melted out PCI-E power cables didnt happen in one quick burst, it was a slow build up of overheating and melting, and is the most likely cause of what happened here, too
Left on menus for ages: damage simply happened much faster
Melted PCIe power cables means either the card does not follow the spec (defective design), you overclocked the card or the cables were not up to spec. Either way, high FPS or high load in games has nothing to do with it.

Again, this is all about exposing a flaw in the GPUs via slow death, not about "high FPS is insta kill"
There is neither a statistical basis nor a technical basis for claiming why high FPS should damage anything, either slowly or quickly. High FPS has happened for years and it has never resulted in any damage. The "high FPS is dangerous" claim is beyond laughable at this point.

The cards that are failing are either defective and on the brink of failing, or they have been overclocked or mined on. It doesn't matter if you play this game or another comparatively demanding game, your card is just as likely to fail during load anyway. Hundreds of cards are failing every day during gaming, the only reason why this game is blamed is that people are more likely to suspect a recent change as the culprit, especially something in alpha/beta.

Processor R7 5800X
Cooling Fractal Celsius
Memory 32
Storage Lots
Case Fractal Nano S
Audio Device(s) Vintage
Mouse Pwnage SYM2
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Hundreds of cards are failing every day during gaming, the only reason why this game is blamed is that people are more likely to suspect a recent change as the culprit, especially something in alpha/beta.
Is there a daily tally somewhere that tracks this?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Coil whine isn't dangerous by itself. It can sometimes be a symptom of bad power delivery, which in turn can lead to damage, but coil whine resulting from high FPS is harmless, even if you do it for hours at the time.

Melted PCIe power cables means either the card does not follow the spec (defective design), you overclocked the card or the cables were not up to spec. Either way, high FPS or high load in games has nothing to do with it.

There is neither a statistical basis nor a technical basis for claiming why high FPS should damage anything, either slowly or quickly. High FPS has happened for years and it has never resulted in any damage. The "high FPS is dangerous" claim is beyond laughable at this point.

The cards that are failing are either defective and on the brink of failing, or they have been overclocked or mined on. It doesn't matter if you play this game or another comparatively demanding game, your card is just as likely to fail during load anyway. Hundreds of cards are failing every day during gaming, the only reason why this game is blamed is that people are more likely to suspect a recent change as the culprit, especially something in alpha/beta.
we've seen this before, furmark. you're missing the historical precedent for this exact thing.