• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newest Bought HIS Radeon R7 240 iCooler 2GB GDDR5 Flickering Issues, Hardware Defect or..?

Jeamy

Hi guys, greetings..

I'm nob here, this is my first post in this forum, i've problem with my new VGA Card.. HIS Radeon R7 240 iCooler 2GB GDDR5, it has jiff broken flickering issues in my screen, this happen sometimes not too frequently and can't predict it when.

I've already trying installing with different OS, drivers, monitors or even with different motherboard and cpu, but the issues still persist, different result is just about frequent of the issues it self, in my old pc this issues more less frequently happen (it can happen once in a day or sometimes nothing) than in my new pc (it can happen twice or more in 1-2 hours) but all clear in my eyes.

For detailed issues i've already recording it in video:
Flickering at minutes : 1:18, 1:23, 1:54, 2:40

I've already try to claim warranty to the distributor of HIS reseller in my country, but they rejecting my claim and told me that they're already testing it (only) in 1 hour and didn't find any issues at all, this is so silly..:( so i'm stuck with it.

Detail of my testing with this card:
- Test with difference driver version from old release September 2016 (forgot the exact version) until the latest version now
- Test with difference Windows version, latest win7 SP 1 ultimate x64 & latest win 10 Pro x64 also try with difference drivers too even try with driver from win update.
- Test with different display monitors also with difference port (DVI-D and Analog VGA), DELL U2412M and Samsung SyncMaster BX1931
- Test with difference PC, newest PC Asus H61M 1150 socket with Intel core i3 3240, 2x4GB Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 RAM, and my old PC Asus P5Q Deluxe 775 socket with Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, 2x2GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR 2 and V-Gen 2x2GB (8GB Total RAM).

Not already testing it:
- Considering to try flashing difference VBios version, but unfortunately until now i can't find the same exact version device id with mine, the one that looks like similar with mine is only this version here (seems like old version than mine), then my original bios (already upload it) is here.

Is it possible if i try flashing that looks similar bios version to mine to testing the difference and hope might be nothing flickering issues in that version??

My card ss from GPUZ:
ss GPUZ.gif

I hope someone here can help me, thanks :)

New....?
Where did you purchase it from?

Bios? Flashing? Doh. Sure, flash away.

Jeamy

New....?
Where did you purchase it from?

Bios? Flashing? Doh. Sure, flash away.

Thanks for your fast response..

Yap, new, i bought it from online store in my country (Indonesia)
You mean it's okay if i flash this bios version in mine even looks like that old than original from mine..?

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
contact your local (to you) consumer rights dept ( local Government)
That card if Quote" new"
needs RMA

System Name Main / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X / Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Strix B550i / B450i Aorus Pro
Cooling Lian-Li Galahad 360 / Wraith Spire
Memory Corsair LPX 2x16 3600MHz / HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE / ARC A380
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB / Sabrent Rocket 256GB
Display(s) Acer Z301c / 39" Panasonic HDTV
Case Corsair 2000D / Cougar QBX
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V379 / Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair SF600 / BeQuiet SFX Power 2 450W
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Drop Sense75 with WQ Studio Morandi's
VR HMD Rift S
Software Win 11 Pro 64Bit
A BIOS flash is not a panacea, it will not fix a hardware issue. Throw a book at the etailer, and demand an RMA.

Jeamy

contact your local (to you) consumer rights dept ( local Government)
That card if Quote" new"
needs RMA

Thanks for your response..

Unfortunately..my local government in my country is not too much care to consumer like me that's not too much enough money to pay them, :(

Jeamy

If it's new, RMA?

Why is RMA not an option?

I will try a second time to RMA, but when my pc have free time, the problem is..i've used this PC for my home work..i don't have onboard vga or other pci card to replace it temporary while doing RMA process.

Thanks anyway for your solution.

Not already testing it:
- Considering to try flashing difference VBios version, but unfortunately until now i can't find the same exact version device id with mine, the one that looks like similar with mine is only this version here (seems like old version than mine), then my original bios (already upload it) is here.

Is it possible if i try flashing that looks similar bios version to mine to testing the difference and hope might be nothing flickering issues in that version??

DO NOT flash the card! Here are two additional options:
a) use a fan to blow air on the cards PCB. If you have two fans, try to cool both sides of the cards. Something might be overheating.
b) if a doesn't help, put some light load on the card and watch for artifacts. Maybe the memory clocks are dropping too low in idle which is causing flickering.

Jeamy

DO NOT flash the card! Here are two additional options:
a) use a fan to blow air on the cards PCB. If you have two fans, try to cool both sides of the cards. Something might be overheating.
b) if a doesn't help, put some light load on the card and watch for artifacts. Maybe the memory clocks are dropping too low in idle which is causing flickering.

Thanks for your suggestion..
I will try that option..but for b) option..can you describe more detail, which part that i must watch that's suspect has artifacts also what kind of physically artifacts that i can see usually with this kind of flickering issues.
and for memory clocks, is it enough just watching continuously from gpuz..?

Thanks for your suggestion..
I will try that option..but for b) option..can you describe more detail, which part that i must watch that's suspect has artifacts also what kind of physically artifacts that i can see usually with this kind of flickering issues.
and for memory clocks, is it enough just watching continuously from gpuz..?

Some memory chips have problems when the clocks/voltage get too low and show artifacts/flicker. The problems are not there when the card is loaded. If the artifacts occur when memory is at lowest level and do not occur when it's above this, then this might be the problem. Using a game or 3D mark will bump the clocks enough to transition from 2D/idle to 3D values.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Some memory chips have problems when the clocks/voltage get too low and show artifacts/flicker. The problems are not there when the card is loaded. If the artifacts occur when memory is at lowest level and do not occur when it's above this, then this might be the problem. Using a game or 3D mark will bump the clocks enough to transition from 2D/idle to 3D values.

Im wondering if afterburner can help with stock clocks and voltage in 2D.

Hows the refresh rate of the monitor, has a different cable been tried?

Has a different monitor been tried too?

Edit
That looks like a screen glitch to me, ensure refresh rate is at default spec, turn off gpu scaling. Do not allow it to run custom resolutions too.

If necessary bump the refresh rate up a little or swap the monitor.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
My gut tells me the problem lays with the display driver physically located on the card it's probably overheating or pcb flexing. I'd exchange or RMA the card as soon as I could not something I'd want to troubleshoot. If it's having problems now it will definitely be having problems later.

edit: Didn't see the part where you mention that you are stuck with the card.

Jeamy

I've already testing it with latest Fumark also watching with GPUZ but, result nothing any flickering even while memory clock down to 150mhz while idle.

Im wondering if afterburner can help with stock clocks and voltage in 2D.

Hows the refresh rate of the monitor, has a different cable been tried?

Has a different monitor been tried too?

Edit
That looks like a screen glitch to me, ensure refresh rate is at default spec, turn off gpu scaling. Do not allow it to run custom resolutions too.

If necessary bump the refresh rate up a little or swap the monitor.

I've already done that test, with different monitor and different port and cable, also with different pc's, driver and OS too, and already write in my first post above, and nothing wrong with my minitor, cable, pc, os also with driver.

My gut tells me the problem lays with the display driver physically located on the card it's probably overheating or pcb flexing. I'd exchange or RMA the card as soon as I could not something I'd want to troubleshoot. If it's having problems now it will definitely be having problems later.

edit: Didn't see the part where you mention that you are stuck with the card.

Stuck with that card i mean i must stuck for a while now whether i want it or not, i've already trying to RMA in the first try with returning the card to the reseller then he sending it to the services center, but service center of that distributor of the card has rejecting my claim, they said already testing it (with just an hour test) but nothing happen and they said the card is fine, i intend to trying RMA the card again but this time i wanna bring it the card my self directly to the service center in my town, but the problem now is i don't have other card to replacing this card temporary while i trying claiming RMA again, also i can't leave a loot my home work now.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
let me get this straight ,your card exhibits same problems in two distinct PC's?
1) software related;
2) the card;
3) sayd two PC's power by same PSU?

Jeamy

let me get this straight ,your card exhibits same problems in two distinct PC's?
1) software related;
2) the card;
3) sayd two PC's power by same PSU?

Yes
1. Same result, the only difference is range frequently come of the issue it self.
2. ?
3. Nope, each with different PSU.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Reading the chip on your card is an"Oland pro" found in R "n" 200series and 300 series, have you tryed with driver for latter series one?
I'd say 99℅ the card "sneaked passed" Q/C somehow.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Replace the card.

Jeamy

Reading the chip on your card is an"Oland pro" found in R "n" 200series and 300 series, have you tryed with driver for latter series one?
I'd say 99℅ the card "sneaked passed" Q/C somehow.

Not yet, just try driver for 200 series, only try a few old version from 2016 release and the latest one.
About the chip it self..GPUZ showing "OLAN_LE" chip for my card.
Maybe..they're "HIS QC dept" too lazy to testing in detailed about their low-end card product.
Really making me disappointed also loosing my faith with this "HIS" brand at the first time want to try their product.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Sorry if it's been mentioned already but have you tried a different monitor cable?

Jeamy

Sorry if it's been mentioned already but have you tried a different monitor cable?

Yup..already, also try with different port DVI-D and VGA, result still the same.
No problem..i've always appreciated anyone help, thanks :)