• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newly Built Computer Randomely Crashing

Derek4499

I just recently built a new computer, everything's working great except it randomly crashes every now and then, and not during times of high Cpu load or anything, but just browsing the web or anything. I can play Crysis for over an hour and it won't crash, but I can't finish extracting any of my music because it crashes no further then half way through (4 gb backups), which leads me to suspect the hardrive, which I'm running in IDE mode, should I be doing something different?

Specs:
XFX Radeon HD 4650
2x Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz
Western Digital 500GB SATA Hard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.00 GHz
Power Up! 450 Watt PS and Power Up! Case
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Motherboard
HP DVD-RW CD Drive

EDIT: I realize the dumb spelling mistake in title.

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

I just recently built a new computer, everything's working great except it randomly crashes every now and then, and not during times of high Cpu load or anything, but just browsing the web or anything. I can play Crysis for over an hour and it won't crash, but I can't finish extracting any of my music because it crashes no further then half way through (4 gb backups), which leads me to suspect the hardrive, which I'm running in IDE mode, should I be doing something different?

Specs:
XFX Radeon HD 4650
2x Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz
Western Digital 500GB SATA Hard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.00 GHz
Power Up! 450 Watt PS and Power Up! Case
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Motherboard
HP DVD-RW CD Drive

EDIT: I realize the dumb spelling mistake in title.

PSU is a brand I havent heard of, though to be honest your system shouldnt really consume more than 250w max, so I am going to overlook that for now, what OS are you running just out of curiousity?

Derek4499

PSU is a brand I havent heard of, though to be honest your system shouldnt really consume more than 250w max, so I am going to overlook that for now, what OS are you running just out of curiousity?
Yeah I realize it's a stock PSU that came with the case, but I figured I still wouldn't come close to maxing it, oh and it's just the stock PSU that came with this case:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1901962

And I'm running XP SP3.

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

Yeah I realize it's a stock PSU that came with the case, but I figured I still wouldn't come close to maxing it, oh and it's just the stock PSU that came with this case:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1901962

And I'm running XP SP3.

Couple of people have mentioned about the PSU being DOA with that case, have you another you could possibly try it with to rule it out, granted your system is fairly low power but if the PSU is defunct then that could be causing the crashing

Derek4499

Couple of people have mentioned about the PSU being DOA with that case, have you another you could possibly try it with to rule it out, granted your system is fairly low power but if the PSU is defunct then that could be causing the crashing
But then wouldn't it make sense when the computer was only crashing during performance intensive situations? Because I can play games, and it runs them great and won't crash for hours, but it crashes during odd times like extracting files, which makes me think the hard drive.

System Name Main
Processor e7200 Wolfdale 2.5Ghz OC @ 3.0
Motherboard BioStar TP43D2-A7 ATX Board
Cooling ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm
Memory 4G's G.Skill PC 6400 800 Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI Sapphire HD 4870 10.6 drivers
Storage WD 80GB/WD 160GB SATA 3.0 Drive / WD 1TB
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Japanese Brand 550w
Software Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 10712- Old score 3DMark06 10955- New Comp
If you think its the hard drive do a checkdsk on it. If that doesnt find anything switch the the sata port that its on to another and see if that does anything.

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

But then wouldn't it make sense when the computer was only crashing during performance intensive situations? Because I can play games, and it runs them great and won't crash for hours, but it crashes during odd times like extracting files, which makes me think the hard drive.

Sorry, who told you computer troubleshooting made sense lol sometimes its just one of those things, but if you can swap the psu try it, also check your hdd's for errors, if they both some up clean then you can try some linX and memtest

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
bad install of the OS?
run memtest on the RAM

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
Stupid things can cause weird problems. Sometimes you wouldn't think of them. I thought my mom's PSU was dying, but her mouse and keyboard would short out and cause the PC to freeze. I replaced them and it never happened again.